Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2017, 08:32   #16

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro
Re: Quietest 7.5kw generator

... and a Helia 44 is 2 years delivery , this is why we try to accomodate all in a 40 that people says it is as roomy as a 42... OK waterline and hull width will not lie !
Old 23-09-2017, 08:32   #17

Yes I have seen LOTS of complains in the net about Panda
Old 23-09-2017, 08:37   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbala60 View Post
I am planning also to add a Bauer diving compressor asking 5hp.
Yes this is quite a small cat for this load, but why FP is proposing an Onan 7.5kw installed in the aft portside engine room... all weight aft, is it better than having it with the water tanks ?

Following the "mind" of FP with their Lucia 40, to "equilibrate portside-starboard" I would put the compressor in the starboard aft engine room... sure lot of weight there, but ...

I will try and idea that I know I could be wrong... all says that "don't put weight at the bow" ...so as the sail is pushing the bow down in the water, the cat COULD be more even under sail.
It's your boat, of course, but in my opinion two diesel engines is MORE than enough on a 40' cat, if you intend to do any sailing. The issue of weight in the bow vs weight elsewhere is different from the issue of simply being overloaded.

I would use solar and really good batteries and inverters, and add generators to the main engines. I bet you can get a dive compressor on one of the main engines as well, or use an electric one.

YMMV
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 09:58   #19

Boat: FP Lucia 40

We took delivery of our Lucia just last month. We debated back and forth with the factory installed generator. It may not be the quietest (the Onan does spin at 2900rpm), but the factory installation is perfect. Installed opposite of the owners captain it is very quiet at night should we want to run the AirCon at night.(our home port is Miami). The factory installation also includes a water separator for the exhaust making the system almost silent while sitting out back.
Terbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 17:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbonium View Post
We took delivery of our Lucia just last month. We debated back and forth with the factory installed generator. It may not be the quietest (the Onan does spin at 2900rpm), but the factory installation is perfect. Installed opposite of the owners captain it is very quiet at night should we want to run the AirCon at night.(our home port is Miami). The factory installation also includes a water separator for the exhaust making the system almost silent while sitting out back.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!! But ... we are jealous because we will wait her until Nov2018. AIE AIE AIE...
we will follow you, and this also close the debate for us.
BUT I will follow the idea to add an other set of anti-vibration under the Onan adding to stop the thru hull vibration
Thanks again to all
Old 23-09-2017, 20:11   #21

About the generator, as one day within 6-7 year we will sell her, having a genset ( mainly for us to power a diving compressor) and AC and 3 cabin will much easier.
Old 24-09-2017, 00:22   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
About the generator, as one day within 6-7 year we will sell her, having a genset ( mainly for us to power a diving compressor) and AC and 3 cabin will much easier.
Your boat, of course, and your decision.

But do I understand that you are considering a genset only to power a dive compressor, and for resale value?

I doubt if the difference in resale value will equal the cost of the generator plus interest you could have earned on that money over 6 - 7 years.

And you will be dragging around all that weight all that time.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 24-09-2017, 05:14   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Your boat, of course, and your decision.

But do I understand that you are considering a genset only to power a dive compressor, and for resale value?

I doubt if the difference in resale value will equal the cost of the generator plus interest you could have earned on that money over 6 - 7 years.

And you will be dragging around all that weight all that time.

You have a good point, but I am a designer, mostly in R&D developing prototypes machinery and I prefer to have a "fool proof cat" ready for any desire than regretting one day to not have it with all bells and "wishes"

I sailed monohulls since 40 years, maybe skipped 500's races and if I wanted to sail with good performance, I would buy a 60ft Jeanneau but I am semi-retreated and have decided that NOW, instead that buying a snowbird condo... it will be a FLOATING CONDO. :-))

If bad weather in a passage... I will stay there until it will clear. and make other dives, inspect my anchor, add some "bells" my wife ask for, fishing for a nice dinner... enjoy life !
Old 24-09-2017, 05:32   #24

Boat: Nordhavn 47

I have a Fischer Panda 8000mini (now for sale after 700 hours) and replaced it with a Northern Lights 6kw with a gen sep unit. I can say that the Fischer panda was definitely quieter as far as just listening to the unit itself in the cabin of the boat. The gen sep unit makes the outside noise definitely quieter to surrounding boats. The Fischer Panda with a gen sep would be a very quiet unit all around.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 05:47   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You have a good point, but I am a designer, mostly in R&D developing prototypes machinery and I prefer to have a "fool proof cat" ready for any desire than regretting one day to not have it with all bells and "wishes"

I sailed monohulls since 40 years, maybe skipped 500's races and if I wanted to sail with good performance, I would buy a 60ft Jeanneau but I am semi-retreated and have decided that NOW, instead that buying a snowbird condo... it will be a FLOATING CONDO. :-))

If bad weather in a passage... I will stay there until it will clear. and make other dives, inspect my anchor, add some "bells" my wife ask for, fishing for a nice dinner... enjoy life !
OK -- your decision of course, your priorities.

Quietest generator is a low speed one, but I wouldn't put one on a small cat no matter how relaxed you are about the the performance implications.

I would put Eco Tec alternators on both main engines with electric clutches:

Marine Alternators | Eco-Tech Alternators

And a large LiFePo battery bank and a gang of inverters.

Then you have all the AC power you could want without adding much weight. Recharge the batteries very quickly running both engines then run pretty much whatever you want off the inverters. That will cost the same as a good generator but adding little weight and making it possible to live for long periods on battery power. I would add a ton of solar, too.

If that doesn't appeal, then I might look at one of the NexGen generators, like the one A64 has -- mid-speed, compact, light weight. I'd use an electric dive compressor -- starting loads can be handled by inverters so you don't have to oversize the generator. Like this one: NEXT-GEN - Marine Power Units

Modern inverters can let you use generator power more efficiently with their current limiting and "power boost" features. You can use a smaller generator, and use it better by keeping it better loaded. That Nex Gen weighs half of what a low speed Northern Lights or Kohler weighs and is more compact -- so easier to install and easier to service.
Walt Whitman
Old 24-09-2017, 05:56   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Surely the fool proof solution is the petrol engined bauer compressor, those things are bomb proof and can be lifted by one person. Spent years diving with them and transporting them all over the place. They consistently charged our 230 bar cylinders to 260-270 bar for deep air diving.

Why all the extra cost and weight with a 7.5kw genny?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 06:12   #27

Boat: Tartan 40

I will second the nextgen as I have a 5.5kw in mine.
I think it's the best compromise for a intermittent use genset. I understand why power yachts and larger sailing yachts who want to run 24/7 AC use the slow speed ones but ours can't be heard above the AC in the cabin

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 06:39   #28

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

I do not consider the ambient noise of a running generator or the main engine a nuisance even when asleep. I consider the ambient noise as 'comforting'. When the noise stops, I worry.
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 08:04   #29

Boat: FP Lucia 40

Our thoughts for solar on the Lucia 40:

3 x SunPower X22-360
2 x SunPower E20-435
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2PanelLayout.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	156600   Click image for larger version

Name:	3PanelLayout.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	156601  

Terbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 10:12   #30

Thank you all for your comments.
In a perfect world, as each of us imagine it, all comments are perfect... BUT ...
I hate noise ... If I LOVE to sail, this is because NO MOTOR NOISE and at anchor also, so a gazoline compressor will make a lot because is can't be in a locker... on the deck for 30-60 minutes.

About solar.... YES I will have some but HOW MUCH ?
A 5hp compressor running 30 minutes for 2 bottles... at 12V will draw 308A, and what would be the battery bank to supply that ? What invertor ?

Terbonium, thank you for those drawings, because I have so many questions pending with the FP rep in Montreal, I am shy to ask more. Never found such drawings on the net and he told me that "FP does not send more that on the site because of possible "copy"" ... Does your drawings have rights on them ?
Anyway I copied them for planning also solar installation, much better than the 150x100 streched to full screen I was using.

I was planning on the bimini AND/OR over the dinghy...

I will steel your idea and share mine and in that way ...

Bimini 3 x SunPower X22-360 = 1080W PLUS
Dinghy 2 x SunPower X22-360 = 720W = 1800W
or
Dinghy 2 x Kyocera 325W = 650W = 1370W
they are show far aft just to illustrate de size.
and it is farther that the Sunpower to avoid people to reach it when boarding ... you know a old lady that ...

So on a 40... this is real solar power, even in a cloudy day you will supply all fridge and freezer needs.

But what to do with the diving compressor and AC ? AC could draw the same 3.7kW ... but for much longer...

As we will be liveaboard for 4-6 months/year ... difficult to forget a genset.
About HEIGHT ... see next message

Tags
generator