Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2017, 05:31   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 409
Quietest DC watermaker on the market?

I am searching for the quietest watermaker on the market.

I consume 5 gallons per day so I don't need a high output unit.

My plan is to purchase a low output, low amperage unit and just leave it on so it needs to be quiet.

My original plan was to purchase a Katadyn 40E but after watching a few YouTube videos, its far from quiet...
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 05:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Quietest DC watermaker on the market?

What you buy, you will most likely run once a week. You may not need the water but I think they like to be run weekly so your not having to flush or pickle the thing.
A question is do you have enough power available to run an inefficient water maker without getting your bank down lower than you like?
I don't think anything will make a gl of water for less AH than a Spectra will.

I would assume with a limitless supply of water that your consumption will increase. I think of water being similar to money, that is I will adapt my lifestyle to meet the supply. Also if your heading down South to the land of the great sweat, I bet you will use more water
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 06:03   #3
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

I couldn't say if it is the quietest one or not, but I bought one of these and it is pretty quiet.

PureWater - Watermaker - Sea Star
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 06:23   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Have you ever cruised and run a watermaker on that cruise before? I ask, because most people do not like to run watermakers unattended. Also, I have yet to see a good, low power dc watermaker that is also quiet. We had a Spectra 150, and the pump did make a good pit of noise. The only way to fix that would be to insulate the compartment. This may bring on heat issues, as the motor needs to be kept cool - depending on the ambient temps where you are running it.

I have had others tell me that the little Pur watermaker is not quiet, and one couple said it was a big mistake that they mounted theirs underneath their bunk.

At 5 gallons a day, I would install the smallest spectra, and run it two days in a row, to make 18 gallons. First day, run and simply stop. second day, run, and then flush. You can do this in three hours, so it is attended, and not too long a time period. You will end up with around 15 gallons in the tank. Three days later, do it again.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiic View Post

My plan is to purchase a low output, low amperage unit and just leave it on so it needs to be quiet.

My original plan was to purchase a Katadyn 40E but after watching a few YouTube videos, its far from quiet...
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 06:32   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What you buy, you will most likely run once a week.

We currently have a katadyne 40e aboard, and on our last cruise ran it everyday, no pickling, no growth. Part of the daily routine. We waited until midday after the batteries had mostly recovered and let it run for two-three hours while hiding from the tropical sun and generally mucking around on the boat.

I've been considering replacing it with one of the smaller spectras for our next go-round, but would still plan on running it daily.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 06:38   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

None of them are particularly quiet. By the nature of what they do, they cannot be too quiet. A spectra would be, imho, one of the easiest to quiet down, or mount the offending noisemaker elsewhere.

We have a 40e, and it's not in the least bit quiet. However our usage dictates 2-4 hours of runtime mid-day when general loafing or other boat projects or even floating to keep cool occurs. The noise is there, it is obtrusive, but not obnoxious. That said, I wouldn't want to sleep with it running.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 06:45   #7

Ok, so nobody is aware of a quiet watermaker?
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
Old 14-04-2017, 06:49   #8

Quote:
A question is do you have enough power available to run an inefficient water maker without getting your bank down lower than you like?
Yes, I have 700w of Solara Power M-Series solar panels. My 770AH battery bank (Firefly Oasis carbon foam) are usually full by 1:00pm.

I did it on purpose because I knew I needed a DC watermaker.
Old 14-04-2017, 06:53   #9
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:

Like many Lagoon owners I have a Dessalator DC 100 litres per hour. Though it does the job pretty well I am disappointed by the noise it makes. A bit like a small generator ... The motor gets real hot so I am opening the floor to let some fresh air in, and I can hear it even better then !
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 07:07   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Watermakers can be very noisy.

I have not heard all the watermakers on the market, but the Spectra units seem to make the least noise. The energy recovery high pressure pump makes very little noise, just a quiet "woosh". This only leaves the low pressure pump, which is basically a normal diaphram pump (so the same noise as your pressure fresh water pump).

The Spectra low pressure pump is small so with planning it can be located where the sound is not an issue.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 07:20   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK, I guess I should have said at least once a week. With a consumption of 5 gl a day, with many tanks you could go weeks, but its my understanding that a watermaker needs a weekly run or other maintenance.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 07:23   #12
cruiser

Spectra is quiet, but the OP seems to want silent.... which is unobtainable. The high pressure pumps will make some noise on all the units. These things don't run on a silent low-flow household aquarium pumps.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 07:28   #13
cruiser

Quote:
OK, I guess I should have said at least once a week. With a consumption of 5 gl a day, with many tanks you could go weeks, but its my understanding that a watermaker needs a weekly run or other maintenance.
Once a week isn't enough, these things like to run every day in order to avoid pickling or wasting several gallons on a flush each time it's used. I you only use it once per week, expect some nasty tasting water.

We run our Spectras every day.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 07:40   #14

Boat: Riva 48

I have an old Powersurvivor 35 that is pretty quiet (installed in the lazarette). Will post a video next week. By the way, there will always be noises from pumps on a boat (fridge, water, fans). Put as many of these devices as possible in the lazarette and insulate it.

I can see how some of these noises can be bothersome on a dead quiet dock. Once at see though, the only thing I hear is wind and waves...
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 07:45   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

At 5 gpd you will not need or want to run a watermaker 24/7 heck on my last boat I had a 35E yes it had a semi annoying noise however as the wind increased and the boat moved the noise became less noticeable . How big is your water tank?

Tags
water, watermaker