Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2020, 13:33   #31
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Pulse Desulfators

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Only if brand X also happens to sell the product or has some other vested interest in the product. Have yet to see Yamaha, Ford, Dodge etc etc etc advertise that using Amsoil will prolong the life of their vehicles. They want to you buy their products (Yamalube/Motorcraft etc).

Electric forklift manufacturers come to mind. Huge market. Plenty of those batteries are abused.

And I've seen OEMs dump a lot of money into better engine coolants and lubes. The reason they do it is to reduce warranty problems and improve their reputation for long life. The sales department drives it. Sure, they'd like you to buy their brand of oil, but they need you to buy the cars. I can tell you from inside, they're not Amsoil believers, or any other miracle brand. Heck, virtually all oils use group 4 base stock now. They spend millions on PROVING performance. I've worked testing programs.

They would buy a miracle, if you could prove it. And that's not easy.
Old 21-07-2020, 14:43   #32
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Electric forklift manufacturers come to mind. Huge market. Plenty of those batteries are abused.

And I've seen OEMs dump a lot of money into better engine coolants and lubes. The reason they do it is to reduce warranty problems and improve their reputation for long life. The sales department drives it. Sure, they'd like you to buy their brand of oil, but they need you to buy the cars. I can tell you from inside, they're not Amsoil believers, or any other miracle brand. Heck, virtually all oils use group 4 base stock now. They spend millions on PROVING performance. I've worked testing programs.

They would buy a miracle, if you could prove it. And that's not easy.
Ya I was just citing an example. Pretty sure most oem fluids are rebranded Mobil or some other big name that they charge a premium for. They only need to get you past the manufactures warranty then it’s whoever’s insured the extended warranties problem; Although I’m pretty sure most manufacturers warranties are third party these days. Pass the liability and sell the long warranty coverage as their own.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 15:48   #33
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Ya I was just citing an example. Pretty sure most oem fluids are rebranded Mobil or some other big name that they charge a premium for. They only need to get you past the manufactures warranty then it’s whoever’s insured the extended warranties problem; Although I’m pretty sure most manufacturers warranties are third party these days. Pass the liability and sell the long warranty coverage as their own.

Yes, fluids are re-brand. Dexcool (Texaco) is the most obvious example.