Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2020, 23:17   #1

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)
Generator Invertor sizing

Hi guys, very quick question,

I have a a 4kVA (3500W) generator. I want to check the sizing of my AC to DC invertor. It is a 12V 40Amp invertor. Is this the correct size or should I rethink it? I couldn't find any material that could help me with this.

Thanks
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 23:22   #2

Re: Generator Invertor sizing

it would depend more on the size of the battery bank. and the type of batteries. 40a is pretty small and you'll be running the gen a long time to charge batteries with that.

a 3500w gen could power about a 200a charger (but nothing else) but that would only be usefull on bigger battery banks.

you are talking about chargers, not inverters.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 00:44   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Yes, ac to dc is a charger (inverters do the opposite). The size of your charger depends more on the size of your battery bank assuming you're not charging lithium. How many Ah of battery do you have? That will determine the maximum charging current that would be appropriate.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 01:16   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Right. For lead acid (non AGM) batteries, you want the charger to be 15% to 20% in amps, as the bank is in nominal AH capacity 20 hour rate. We call that .15C to .2C.

So a 400AH bank would like to have a charger of 60 to 80 amps. Some larger chargers (e.g. Victron) allow you to downrate the charger to get the capacity just right.

You don't want a lot more than 0.2C because charging faster than that can be hard on the batteries.

With lithium or AGM, this does not apply.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator