Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 18:45   #1

Boat: Amel 50
Portable Generator Use and Storage

Following the recent thread on portable generators, I’d appreciate hearing about best practices to use and store them. Specifically:
  • Where do you put the generator when it’s running?
  • How do you ensure that carbon monoxide vapors don’t sneak into the cabin?
  • Where do you store the generator (Honda documentation says to avoid below-decks)?
Old 22-08-2019, 19:11   #2
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’
Re: Portable Generator Use and Storage

Greetings,

What I ended up doing is converting my Honda EU2000 to run off either propane or gasoline and installed a three way fuel switch to either use the installed tank, a remote outboard style tank or the off position. This allows me to use the propane and not have any gas in the generator at all so I can stow below deck in a storage locker without worry. I can also use the outboard tank and hose so that I can use gas if I wish and then simply unplug the fuel hose and run the generator dry. If we will be using it several days in a row I just fill the installed tank like it was originally designed to be used. It has worked out very well for us.

Safe Journeys,
~Jake
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 19:12   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

There's no good way to do it and people have died. We have a law in Minnesota that requires every boat with a below-decks area to have three warning stickers regarding the perils of generators because somebody died 3 years ago.

Generators could have low CO emissions but don't because it would increase the cost of making them and the manufacturers have lobbied against any laws and regulations.

Best practice is to make electricity some other way
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 19:14   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Howler, I won’t claim this to be best practice but it works for me. I use it to charge my house bank and to power some tools.

I strap my Honda eu2000i into my cabin top, outboard and forward of the mast. When not in use I cover it with a Sunbrella cover my wife made.

My boat is fairly high sided and dry so it lives there quite happily underway for local sailing and coastwise trips. If I was crossing oceans I’d drain the gas and bring it below. It would fit nicely in the shower stall.

At anchor when using the Honda I’ve tried several locations and found that leaving it in the same spot works at least as well as anywhere else. I always close all ports and hatches when it is running. Not perfect, I know, but we also have two CO alarms and have never had it set one off.

So, as I said, not a best practice but a data point of one user and what we’ve been doing for about 5 years.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 19:42   #5

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Purchased a Honda 2000 years back for backup power at my house. Added an external tank connection to provide a serious fuel supply (outboard connection with right angle adaptor just moved the hose from internal tank to external fitting). It allows me to run the carb dry (useful when it sits for long intervals), also on boats for below decks storage.

Ran it 16 hours a day for a week when Michael blew through, all worked out as planned and a can't say enough positive things about that Honda.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 20:20   #6

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
Following the recent thread on portable generators, I’d appreciate hearing about best practices to use and store them. Specifically:

• Where do you put the generator when it’s running?
  • How do you ensure that carbon monoxide vapors don’t sneak into the cabin?
  • Where do you store the generator (Honda documentation says to avoid below-decks)?

It clearly depends on the boat but for me, the best place is the anchor locker. It is isolated from the rest of the boat, you can store it there and run it from there. It is also far away from the cockpit. However, you will get vapors around the boat and into the cockpit if the wind is on the bow.

Next best is to dip the exhaust in the water, the swim platform (if willing to move it every time), hoist it on a halliard up the mast or in the dinghy. For me the anchor locker works best with a flexible exhaust dipped in the water.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 23:06   #7

Boat: Alubat Cigale 16m

I store in the sail locker but only run it if at anchor and then I sit it on the aft bench next to the dock power inlet. Exhaust is blown off the back (unless strong current overcoming wind direction). It may be boring to carry the generator from the bow to the stern but I use it infrequently and I prefer to have anything with fuel in it separated from cabins by a watertight and airtight bulkhead.
Telesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 23:57   #8

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

For the past 12 years I’ve used my Honda 2000 to power the hot water heater (60 minutes from cold to thermostat shut down) while at anchor and to occasionally charge the house bank. Typically, I run it from on top of the anchor locker. I put a microfiber towel under the feet to prevent leaving marks on the nonskid. While underway, it sits nicely in the cockpit entrance to the companion way. Stepping over it is not a problem heading in either direction through the companion way. Long term storage (empty tank run dry) is in my storage shed.

I’d like to hear more about how to run the exhaust into the water via hose of some sort. Not so much for the emissions but to cut down on the noise. I’m always conscious of the disturbance in the anchorage. Under load they can be quite a nuisance to the other boats near by. I’ve found different ways to make sound shields, but running the exhaust always seemed like a good idea, just never figured out how to do it.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 09:15   #9

Boat: Watkins 29

I recently came across a fellow who hoisted his Honda generator on a Spinnaker halyard about 10 or 15 feet up, with a couple of lines from the generator to the toe rail for stability and control. Of course this only worked at anchor. Can't imagine him sailing that way!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 09:39   #10

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

At anchor, it’s plainly obvious where downwind is. And every sane boater already has CO monitor(s) onboard. Common sense is the only variable here.

Storage issue is no different than with an outboard motor or it’s fuel can.

Seems like another solution discussion in search of a problem.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 09:48   #11

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

We keep our H2000 in the cockpit, along with one of the jerry jugs, both covered, any potential spillage (never happened but you never know) being contained and led below with the 4 two-inch scupper drains.

When I run it I run the shore power cord (adapter and 12ga extension cord) to the aft deck (center cockpit), where I sit the H2000 on a closed-cell cushion to minimize noise below. Full aft, at anchor, with the wind always somewhere forward of the beam, exhaust at the transom level, it works a treat.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 10:04   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
  • Where do you put the generator when it’s running? I put mine at the end of the cockpit with exhaust blowing out aft, or up on the gunrail again with the exhaust blowing away for the boat
  • How do you ensure that carbon monoxide vapors don’t sneak into the cabin? can't avoid it other than the location so that wind will take the exhaust away from the boat and not swirl in into the cockpit so it can get inside. I have CO detectors in the salon and in the aft berth where we sleep and they have gone off if the exhaust wasn't blowing away
  • Where do you store the generator (Honda documentation says to avoid below-decks)? I didn't see that, but I store mine below in the aft shower because it fits nice and tight there and can't fall over

and that's what I do
Old 23-08-2019, 10:43   #13

Boat: Outbound 46

We have an open transom with hatch boards to partially close it off. When running the Honda at anchor, we remove the hatch boards, and the exhaust passes over our swimstep. Underway, we put in the hatchboards, and belay the generator under our helm seat.

If we're in a marina and not head to wind we try to avoid running the generator at all. Once or twice we've had no choice, and have located the generator at the most down-wind corner of the boat.

Off season, we drain the gasoline and store it below.

By the way, Hondas quickly turn into a pile of rust if left out in the elements. A good cover, whether sunbrella or something else, is a must, and has to protect the feet.

When we eventually get a new one, I am going to replace all visible screws with stainless, hopefully that will improve longevity.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 10:48   #14

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Back in the 80'S, when Honda made a 12 Volt only generator [i think 20 amp.], i would hang it over the transom, reduced the noise and no fumes, this was on anchor, so wind on the bow, blowing away fumes down wind.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 11:01   #15

Boat: Sea Ray 270

I keep mine stowed and operate it from the lifeboat storage area on top of the coach roof. It sits on top of a rubber mat for cushioning and to prevent vibration,and is securely lashed down. Its a 3.5kw weighing about 100 lbs so not worth moving. To connect it I run the shore power cord from the generator back aft to the shore power connection (30amp). Down below I have a CO and Smoke alarm in the cabin. It has never gone off. If the gen is running I shut the coach roof hatch. Never had a problem with fumes or exhaust getting into the cabin. I use it to power the h/w , heater and a/c when needed, plus any of the other comforts I might need like TV, DVD player, microwave, etc. When not in use it is covered by both a U/V protected cover and doubled with a sunbrella cover my wife made. If running it while its raining I drape an awning over the boom to keep the wet off. Works like a champ. Never thought of running an exhaust hose over the side. Will have to try it, but not sure what back pressure issues might be involved.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, storage