Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2019, 11:16   #16

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Re: Portable Generator Use and Storage

We store ours in the forward locker. Locker has multiple drains overboard and it's not air tight so no fumes should be able to build up. No entry from that locker into the boat.

We have two CO monitors. Everyone should have at least one, even if you don't have a gas generator on board.

We change position of where we run it, sometimes in the dinghy, sometimes forward. Always pointing the exhaust downwind. We are always concerned with noise to be neighborly. I limit the shore power setting to keep the noise down. Usually 6-8 AC amps keeps it quiet IIRC. I use something like this to connect to our shore power connection.https://www.amazon.com/Camper-Adapte...s%2C144&sr=8-7
HD extension cord added as necessary to reposition.

We don't run it very often, but if I start it, I usually let it run it for hours. It's best to run all the gas out of it, not just the fuel bowl if you plan to store it. We have recently started putting it in a vacuum bag. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Recommend using the hand pump as opposed to an electric vacuum if there are any gas fumes.
Old 24-08-2019, 04:41   #17

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
At anchor, it’s plainly obvious where downwind is. And every sane boater already has CO monitor(s) onboard. Common sense is the only variable here.

Storage issue is no different than with an outboard motor or it’s fuel can.

Seems like another solution discussion in search of a problem.
Holly mallony a sensible answer in regards to CO , people do not die of CO unless in a sealed room with the gas getting beyond a particle level in the air
So in general no air movment and free flow
the fear of CO getting into a cabin when a Generator is running on deck is beyond minimal ,
CO deaths general come from faulty boilers , and Gas instalations were the fuel is not burned correctly , service you gen. keep it in a palce were there is good ventilation and air flow and do not run it below your Bed at night
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 06:01   #18
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Incredibly irresponsible and dangerous "reassurance" there.

Yes the odds are slim, but precautions should be taken.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 06:39   #19

Boat: Beneteau

My Honda 3000 fits in one of my cockpit lockers that isn't in any way going to leak into the living quarters. When at anchor it fits perfectly in the step to my swim platform.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 06:52   #20

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Incredibly irresponsible and dangerous "reassurance" there.

Yes the odds are slim, but precautions should be taken.
Love the insight of your wisdom, hot air rises and then cools in a room with no air flow this will after a length of time consume the O in the air and you will breath in CO this is why it does take a little while to die with the exhaust of your car leadinging into your cabin . with all windows up , one does not just die instantly.
First you will get headaches and feel tired , this does not mean you will die , it means you could be exposed to a small amount of CO leaking from a faulty appliance over time which has gotten into your blood stream.

In a well ventilated room I.E mixing of gases are occuring constanly (That will be the earths Atmopshere for you ), the
risk of dying are so small to not really talk about, in a well ventalated room with extraxction then what is the problem. good god how many drive with a faulty exhaust in their car.

Anyone wanting to put any engine that uses fossil fuel to burn in a compartment with non of the above is rather strange

In most custom Generators that are installed all over the lesiure and commercial boating have Gens in the engine room .
Why because they have an exhaust just like your car
How many of you think you are going to die in a 5 mile traffic jam with the truck behind you pumping all that CO in your direction.

Feel free to add your comments here that are informative and constructive to those in the know , much obliged
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 16:03   #21

Boat: Catalina 320

I have a Honda 2000eu attached to the Low Pro Lockdown base secured to the starboard side outboard seat on a Catalina 320. It's perfect for me, secure, and the exhaust is pointed out. Less risk of CO, although we're still cautious.
stewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 09:28   #22

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

On a platform on the dive platform, or in the dinghy
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 09:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
There's no good way to do it and people have died. We have a law in Minnesota that requires every boat with a below-decks area to have three warning stickers regarding the perils of generators because somebody died 3 years ago.

Generators could have low CO emissions but don't because it would increase the cost of making them and the manufacturers have lobbied against any laws and regulations.

Best practice is to make electricity some other way
This is an extremist position with no real facts. Yes, people have died from carbon monoxide due to improper use, however to make a blanket statement that there is no good way to do it is just silly.

I place mine out on the swim platform with the exhaust pointed at a 45 degree angle away from the stern quarter.

I run it for at least 2 hrs in the morning and 2 hrs at night. I've run it for as much as 12 hours, only stopping to refill.

I have 3 carbon monoxide detectors which have never gone off.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 09:52   #24

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

I like the external gas tank hook up described, disconnecting the hose from the units gas tank to a Q/R set up. Is there such a thing as a gas cap that an external gas tank fuel hose can be attached to??
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 11:16   #25

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

First, we don’t run the generator at night and we only run it at anchor.
That said, we drop our swim platform and place the generator there to run, where the prevailing wind, coming off our bow, blows exhaust away. Obviously, if we’re in any kind of current where somehow the wind is coming from behind, we don’t run it!

Stored in port lazarette with our dinghy fuel (vented, no electrical wires of any sort go through said lazarette, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	499D4E8F-0AC8-4AC3-A538-A523592ED947.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	198755  
Old 28-08-2019, 11:34   #26

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Ive seen one sitting running in the dingy astern, they hardly knew it was running.

Tags
generator, storage