Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2019, 13:55   #16

Re: Panasonic HIT solar on sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_F View Post
AltE's website just quoted me $446.25 for shipping one panel from Mass to a residential address in New Jersey. Yikes! Shipping to the marina where the boat is would be $294.45. Coastal Climate's website says they will not deliver to my home address. Looks like either way I'll need a long drive to take advantage of this.
Good idea.

I couple of years back I visited them to get a 40A Schneider solar charger which was on sale for $130. While walking the showroom I noticed a 35A Schneider charger which was listed as last one in stock for $99 on sale. Haggled them down to $80 tax included. The only difference with 40A is that it did not have a heat sink. But I figured since I am not in the tropics this should not be a big issue for me.

Also they had some other deals on many goodies, especially floor models, etc.

Funny thing though, I bought my now 5-6 year old B-grade solar panels at 80c/Watt (4 110W for $90 each) in Florida. Shipping from FL to MA would have doubled or trippled the cost. So I had my snow bird liveaboard friends take them on their boat and drop them off to me here in Boston.

I am tempted to check out AltE store again to see if I can make a deal on those 330W as they would tripple my solar power at same footprint.

Oops, just checked the specs on those Panasonics. They are huge. I could only fit 2 in place of my current 4. That is only 50% power increase. I'll wait with that replacement.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 14:32   #17
KTP

I like the efficiency of a big panel like that but wonder how you would stow it if you got into big seas where the cockpit was getting slammed. Or maybe just let em get ripped off?
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 14:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP View Post
I like the efficiency of a big panel like that but wonder how you would stow it if you got into big seas where the cockpit was getting slammed. Or maybe just let em get ripped off?
It's 5'X3.5' each so I think it would (should?) only be installed on a sturdy hard top or some such.
Old 23-01-2019, 16:19   #19

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post

Funny thing though, I bought my now 5-6 year old B-grade solar panels at 80c/Watt (4 110W for $90 each) in Florida. Shipping from FL to MA would have doubled or trippled the cost. So I had my snow bird liveaboard friends take them on their boat and drop them off to me here in Boston.

When I first posted, I wasn't even thinking about shipping
So now I'm looking for places in Florida to get a good deal. Any recommendations on dealers in the Punta Gorda/Ft Myers/Sarasota area?
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 16:26   #20

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP View Post
Once you're in rough conditions offshore it is probably too late to consider removing them. When you are preparing the boat for a storm, aka hurricane, at anchor or in a berth is the most likely case where you'll need to remove them. They need to be small enough that you can store them below deck. Something really tough with the large, unwieldy panels.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 18:00   #21

Boat: 50' Ligure power cat

6 out of our 8 panels made it through Irma on St Martin... I think the other two are still orbiting the earth
bluenomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 18:03   #22

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
330W Panasonic HIT solar panel on sale for $360.00 from Coastal Climate.
https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.co...egory=25861122

Is this panel a good deal?

In contrast, a "high end" panel like the Sun Power X22-360 is north of $1400, 30W more, same size and weight. What do you get for the extra $1000 besides 30W?
I bought Sanyo 250 watt panels for $.51 per watt. The bast solar panel pricing I've ever found is Sun Electric in Miami Fl.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 19:54   #23

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenomads View Post
6 out of our 8 panels made it through Irma on St Martin... I think the other two are still orbiting the earth
Seems like you got off easy then.

The point of removing them is to reduce windage on the boat ---- to save the boat, not the panels.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 06:07   #24

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Quote:
AltE's website just quoted me $446.25 for shipping one panel
I got mine ( Grape Solar) thru Home Depot - shipped free to your local store. Came very well packaged and after 3 years, still seem great. I did notice the price has gone up since I bought them (265 watt)
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 06:49   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
When I first posted, I wasn't even thinking about shipping
So now I'm looking for places in Florida to get a good deal. Any recommendations on dealers in the Punta Gorda/Ft Myers/Sarasota area?
I bought from a place in Miami. 20th avenue or some such area. Will look in my old comp for a bookmark. They were the cheapest by far.
Old 24-01-2019, 06:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonsail View Post
I bought Sanyo 250 watt panels for $.51 per watt. The bast solar panel pricing I've ever found is Sun Electric in Miami Fl.
Thats the one I got mine at.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:40   #27

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Before I installed my panels I did a lot of research. The best pricing I found was at Sun Electric in Miami, Fl. I bought 2 250watt Sanyo panels for $127.50 each. That's $.51 per watt. The Outback MTTP controller was $495. With the tubing and support bracing the total price was $1156. total for a 500 watt system. Additionally Sun Electrics tech support was very good.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadliest catch View Post
I did a 3 in parallel and 2 in parallel. The 3 panel config has a Victron MPPT 150/85 and the 2 panel config has a Victron MPPT 100/50. I also have each panel running into its own breaker before it hits the Controller. I have seen 80 amps coming in with my 5 panel setup when the sun is high in the sky. I think somethings wrong with me cause I constantly stare at the BMS in amazement at the power it produces. Sorry hunny.
What breakers did you use between the panels and the controller? I'm installing two of these on my PH roof
StowawayJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:00   #29

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

DC breakers. They contain a magnet to prevent arcing. The magnets are not needed in AC breakers because the current fluctuates at 60 Hz.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 16:07   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
DC breakers. They contain a magnet to prevent arcing. The magnets are not needed in AC breakers because the current fluctuates at 60 Hz.
Thanks, but I meant which brand/model DC breaker did you use. The ones I've looked at were only rated for 48 volts. The Panasonic panels have an open system voltage of 69.7 and a max output voltage of 58

I did find these that claim to be rated for 72 volts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
StowawayJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale, solar