Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2016, 17:24   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Pacific Northwest - wind gen or solar or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Sometimes the comments about wind gen. noise seem almost excessive. But surely they're less obnoxious than generators. Gas or Diesel. Especially when your neighbor fires up a 2-cycle one in order to use his power tools. Yet having generators onboard anymore, of one sort or another, seems the norm. What gives?
Yup, kinda amusing how some get all cranky about a wind generator noise, but seem fine with gas generators, diesel gensets, or even running the main engine at anchor to charge batteries. Heck, even those forced air heaters can be pretty loud. And don’t get me started about folks who insist on sharing their music with the entire anchorage via their cranked up cockpit speakers. There’s a special place in hell for those folks

By these standards, almost any wind generator is a minor noise inconvenience. But as I said, there’s really no reason to have a noisy wing gen these days. There are lots of models out there that are pretty quiet.
Old 19-11-2016, 17:27   #17

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
As I am preparing to mount some flexible panels on my deck, how did you attach your panels to your deck?

They are attached with adhesive polyurethane (Sikaflex). Have been on for over 8 years including 4 in the tropics with no problems.
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 17:31   #18

Thank you for the reply! Just what I was thinking of doing.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 18:03   #19

We used all three. The third being an in water bladed generator. Given the tidal flows, you will likely have three knot currents even in protected waters which will be enough to generate a good trickle charge(1-2 amps).
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 19:58   #20

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Sometimes the comments about wind gen. noise seem almost excessive. But surely they're less obnoxious than generators. Gas or Diesel. Especially when your neighbor fires up a 2-cycle one in order to use his power tools. Yet having generators onboard anymore, of one sort or another, seems the norm. What gives?
I think a lot has to do that generators are usually only run during waking hours, when people are aboard. Some inconsiderate wind gen owners let them whistle through the night, and even when the boat is moored for the winter. Many never bothered to install a stop switch, so the only "off" is to tie off the blades - too much effort I guess.

I have had one of the whistling types for more than 20 years, and I am always careful when I run it. And sometimes people make comments if I run it in the daytime in an anchorage - I think that is going a bit far.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 12:59   #21

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I looked up the numbers for Braughton sound when looking at an alternative energy plant for a fishing lodge. Wind speeds for the summer moths averaged 7kn so it is unlikely you would get much power from a boat installation. The clear air here tends to make winter sun quite strong but angles are low so panels that can be angled may help. I am installing solar on my boat but expecting to need the motor or a small portable genset as backup
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 13:26   #22

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter

As was mentioned above, I do motor some, and we do have the motor as a backup, if the light is limited. My hope is that when we are spending a week or so in a place like Tod inlet while visiting Victoria and Buchart Gardens we can just hang off the anchor and wait for a good weather window to sail home to Blaine in the winter. I think, from what I am reading here I can do this most of the time, possibly with occasional motor use.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 14:28   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW: We have 340 watts of solar, of which 240 are on an arch and have little shading, 100 are on the dodger and suffer from shading some of the time.

In Tasmania, at ~42 deg S latitude, in the summer with quite long days, but not great sun angles we are totally solar supplied. But by early march, before the equinox it rapidly devolves, and soon we require supplementing the panels with other sources. So, in that latitude, the solar is adequate for our fairly modest needs for only around 4-5 months out of the year.

We have an Air-X wind generator, but even down there in the Roaring 40s, when at anchor it seldom supplies much useful power. Under way it becomes more of a contributor.

Jim
Old 20-11-2016, 14:56   #24

Boat: Skookum 53'

The only time I run my gen set is for the blast freezer when I am catching fish, otherwise I don't need to run the main or gen for electrical power, but we are not big on electrical gee gaws. My one indulgence is a 12 volt TV screen and a laptop to watch movies on. As far as I have seen, I will not need the wind gen to supplement my solar array.
Old 20-11-2016, 17:30   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Oldguy View Post
.......in a place like Tod inlet while visiting Victoria and Buchart Gardens we can just hang off the anchor and wait for a good weather window to sail home to Blaine in the winter. I think, from what I am reading here I can do this most of the time, possibly with occasional motor use.
I'm a "new to this area" skipper, but I've been tracking the weather since I got here on Sept. 18th. No air in Saanich Inlet means wind gen will be useless. One doesn't want to cross over to Blaine in the weather we've had the past few days: 20-25 knots from the SE, but your wind gen would get a workout and contribute BIG TIME!

After reading 4 million answers to this same question?

Solar first, win gen second if it makes sense where you intend to boat and HOW you intend to do so.

Your boat, your choice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 17:37   #26

Yep, the more I read the more I think for this area I'm best with solar and if I don't have enough solar I need to add more panels

Old 20-11-2016, 17:47   #27

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Whatever you do, DON'T mount a wind generator so it will shade the panels.
I see that all the time. What are these people thinking?

To be fair, I made the same mistake back in the early '90's.
We lost more electricity to the panel shading from that stupid noisemaker than we got from it.
I finally chopped off the wind generator pole and got MORE power.

Hopefully, this will connect with a few people here.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 21:10   #28

😂

Old 20-11-2016, 22:11   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Whatever you do, DON'T mount a wind generator so it will shade the panels.
I see that all the time. What are these people thinking?

To be fair, I made the same mistake back in the early '90's.
We lost more electricity to the panel shading from that stupid noisemaker than we got from it.
I finally chopped off the wind generator pole and got MORE power.

Hopefully, this will connect with a few people here.
On many modest sized monohulls like the OP’s (and mine) it’s hard to mount enough panels completely away from all possible shading. This is why it is usually best to run panels in parallel. It’s also a reason why a windmill can be beneficial since mills take up less space.

Maximize your solar space first. If you still have $$ and amp needs, then look at a windmill. They are useful in the right cruising locations.
Old 21-11-2016, 10:00   #30

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I ought to post pics. Sometimes it's almost laughable how the solar panels are on the bottom of a stack of one or two wind generators, a radar dome, GPS and amplified TV antennas, even radar reflectors !
And these are the people that say, "Solar doesn't work in the PNW".

I agree wholeheartedly about connecting all the panels in parallel.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific northwest, solar, wind