Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2021, 21:40   #16

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Not another portable generator thread!

[QUOTE=CapnBazza;3350688]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I've just bought myself a Gentrax (suit-case style) 3.5 KVA generator for $739. They are vastly more popular in Australia than the overpriced Honda.

We can usually tell who is not using an “overpriced” Honda by the amount of noise they make in an otherwise quiet anchorage.

Thanks for that. Now I know why everyone leave the anchorage when I arrive.

Gentrax 3.5 kw

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-02-25 10 Quietest Generators Small, Silent Portable Picks in 2021.png
Views:	102
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	233289  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 00:14   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 349

I may use it for AC at times but mainly wanting to keep it stored in the boat but, on second thought, I’ll likely keep it at my house in case it’s needed for any emergency power outage and will bring with me for longer cruises when I may need power. I’d go solar if I was cruising for longer. Mainly going to do day and weekend trips with occasional couple week trips. Seems like the perfect use for the good old Honda generator. They are wanting $20k for a standard diesel install.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 04:06   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

I store my honda on a stern locker with pad eyes that I strap it down to. It is covered underway and also has a line tied to the handle. I am not as paranoid of having it below as some appear and have done that in the past. But I mostly worry about it falling over as I was on a boat once that had it below and it fell over and spilled gas all over the mattress.
Old 25-02-2021, 05:08   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban-Alleria View Post
Consider the Yamaha generator - basically the same animal as the Honda but may be a bit cheaper?

Keep the vent and fuel valve closed when not in use and you should be fine.
Yamaha prices are right up there with Honda.

We have a Yamaha and its nice but it's also 14yrs old (back when it was Honda, Yamaha or a lawmower engine).

Today, there are tons of quiet inverter generators. When the Yamaha gives out, we will likely go with a Champion. $500 for a 2000w and $600-700 for a 3000w+.

The big thing for the OP is it must be a bottom vented compartment. That way any fumes (or liquid gas) will flow out of the boat. In a sealed compartment (particularly if it connects to the main hull), any fumes could be a fire hazard.

Be careful with sealing the vent on the generator gas tank. If you close it on a cool morning (say 50F) and later in the day the compartment gets hot (say 100F), the tank will pressurize. Over time that can cause a failure.

We kept ours on the cockpit floor covered by a plywood box with no bottom. It sat over the cockpit drain. When in use, we would move it to the aft corner of the boat outside of the cockpit and then used a dockline to tie it off to the rails, so a stray wake didn't knock it overboard.

We went with a 2400w unit so it would run the air/con but it is marginal at the task. When we replace it, we will bump up to one above 3000w.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 07:37   #20

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
They are wanting $20k for a standard diesel install.
The principle “you get what you pay for” still applies.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 07:55   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
The principle “you get what you pay for” still applies.
If we were talking $1k vs $2-3k, I might buy that argument...

$20k might be on the high end for an installed diesel generator but even at $10k, you aren't getting $9k in extra value.
Old 25-02-2021, 07:59   #22

Totally depends on how much one is addicted to the gas smell.
Old 25-02-2021, 10:17   #23

Quote:
Totally depends on how much one is addicted to the gas smell.
Do you take the cover off your generators and shove your nose into the carb?

I've never smelt gas while the generator was running. If you do, you should probably get it repaired.

PS: Oddly, the smell of an old 2 stroke does bring back warm memories. Going fishing with my Dad an the smell of the outboard or in the winter, he'd put me in front of him on the snowmobile (and as a 5-6yr old, my nose would be right by the carb) as we would go for rides. Of course, no one is making 2 stroke generators.
Old 25-02-2021, 10:25   #24

Gas smell comes every time the fuel is transferred from a fuel container to a generator tank. Also, all plastic gas cans outgas effectively contaminating any enclosure they are kept in, and so does the generator itself.
Old 25-02-2021, 11:16   #25

Quote:
Gas smell comes every time the fuel is transferred from a fuel container to a generator tank. Also, all plastic gas cans outgas effectively contaminating any enclosure they are kept in, and so does the generator itself.
We didn't keep them in an enclosure, so not an issue. Smelling it for a few seconds while fueling...I've got bigger worries in my life.

How do you handle filling your car with such paranoia?
Old 25-02-2021, 11:27   #26

I'm not saying it never happens but I've never seen a gas/petrol genset or dive compressor have issues from just sitting there. However, I have seen 3 turn into fireballs from spilt fuel while being refilled still hot.

I'm mindful of fumes during storage. I'm paranoid about refilling.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 11:38   #27

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider View Post
In my experience, the cost of a new Honda 2000i will be roughly equal to a full-on solar install which is much quieter, accomplishing more.
Sunset rider, I understand your idea of solar. But if you think that you can get like amperage from a solar set up for a thousand bucks... good luck. By the time you pay for panels, controllers, wiring , inverters, hardware for mounting.... you are going to learn quickly that a boat buck for solar versus one boat buck for a Honda ... well it ain’t the same now is it?

Another point is that many people are now going or have gone to cooking with induction hobs. I’m ditching my propane bomb. I installed 400 amp/hr lifepo4, small induction hob, and Honda. I will also panel up. Don’t forget inclement weather problems of watts in vs watts out. I like a little redundancy that the Honda gives me. I also bring my backpacking stove just in case.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 13:16   #28

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Sorry guys and gals, had to do it. I’ve spent quite some time digging through these but ultimately thought I’d pose some of these questions here. Note: CO sensors are cheap, will plan to have quite a lot in the cabin to keep things safe.

A CO sensor will not make an unsafe installation into a safe installation.

Quote:

We are looking at getting a new or 5< Year old boat. The price that they are asking for generators on these is quite high for what we intend to use it ($20k). That said, a portable Honda EU2000i companion seems like the ideal fit.

They are a nuisance and safety hazard on boat. Don't do it unless your plans are for very occasional use i.e. as a backup when other equipment fails, or use while ashore.

Quote:

- is it safe to store in a deck locker with gas in the generator (I believe you can have the cap selected not to vent)? If not, would the only way to bleed it is to take off the cover and undo the fuel line or does a simple upside down tip work?

It isn't safe to store it anywhere with fuel in it except in a vented fuel locker.

There is no practical way to defuel them. Your best bet is to run them until the fuel is exhausted, or convert them to use an external fuel tank using a hose, like an outboard motor.

Quote:

- storing the gas: I’ve seen anchor locker and tying off to a stanchion. I like the anchor locker but would like any thoughts.

Rock, paper, scissors. Anchor pierces tank. Steel chain rode makes sparks. Gas explodes.

Quote:

- running: seems like bathing platform would be best but would be a bit concerned with some wake coming into the fold out platform and getting it wet. I suppose right above that would be next best?

There isn't a good spot. Portable generators emit CO. Lots of it. CO is heavier than air. People have suffered CO poisoning while swimming next to a swim platform where the generator is running. People have suffered CO poisoning while below decks while the generator was running in the cockpit.

Quote:

- weather protection: curious if anyone has used one of these as a saftey precaution? GenTent 10K Generator Tent Running Cover - XKI Kit (Standard, TanLight) - Compatible with 1000w-9000w Inverter Generators https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013SG85NQ...ing=UTF8&psc=1

You trade off the problem of the generator getting wet for the problem of it overheating.

Also, you forgot to ask about noise.
Old 25-02-2021, 13:35   #29

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If we were talking $1k vs $2-3k, I might buy that argument...

$20k might be on the high end for an installed diesel generator but even at $10k, you aren't getting $9k in extra value.

There are lower cost choices. Look at Next-gen or Fischer Panda.

If you look strictly at the costs you only save money by running a suitcase generator if you don't run it very much. You will get 4-6 kwh per gallon of gasoline with the lower figure being partial load and the higher one being full load. You will get maybe 3000 kwh out of the generator before it is worn out.

With a sailboat-sized diesel generator you will get about 9-11 kwh per gallon of diesel with 50% load or more with the smallest generators being on the 9 kwh/gallon end and the larger ones being at the 11 kwh/gallon end. These machines should last at least 5,000 hours with the more expensive 1800 rpm ones lasting much longer. These are typically 4000 watt machines so we're talking about 20000 kwh over their life even for the very inexpensive ones.

Routine maintenance costs per kwh about the same assuming frequent use, because the diesel will require more costly maintenance but will require it less often in hourly terms and delivers more kwh per hour than the suitcase.

The OP by his own admission is an accountant. I'll let him do the match.
Old 25-02-2021, 14:02   #30

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

This is about houseboats but ...

https://www.cdc.gov/Mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4949a1.htm
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator