Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 19:12   #76

Boat: Lagoon 420
Re: New Victron MPPT Firmware

Termination current = tail current = when charge current falls to 0.5A per 100Ah of rated capacity for your Lifelines.

2A if you had a 400Ah bank, 4A if you have an 800Ah bank. Or 0.5% if stated as a ratio.
rudykruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 21:02   #77

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran

Ok, thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Cheers Rod
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 02:30   #78

Boat: Logan 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
When the absorption mode is finished, the output will be reduced to zero until the battery voltage drops to the lower value of the float voltage.

This is normal and all solar controllers behave in this way.

Thanks, hadn’t noticed that before; maybe because we don’t live aboard!
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 13:14   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

For those using multiple solar regulators, Victron have released a software update (2.25 and 1.50). If you have the Smart Battery Sense (or other smart networking hardware) installed, it will ensure that the regulators synchronise and adopt the same charging phase (bulk absorption, float or equalise).

I have only just installed this, but with a quick test, forcing one charger to equalise it worked well, causing the other regulators to switch modes.

This should reduce some of the (minor) anomalies associated with multiple solar chargers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2D62F470-3421-4A8D-99F6-8714E40DC8C4.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	215315  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 13:28   #80

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
For those using multiple solar regulators, Victron have released a software update (2.25 and 1.50). If you have the Smart Battery Sense (or other smart networking hardware) installed, it will ensure that the regulators synchronise and adopt the same charging phase (bulk absorption, float or equalise).

I have only just installed this, but with a quick test, forcing one charger to equalise it worked well, causing the other regulators to switch modes.

This should reduce some of the (minor) anomalies associated with multiple solar chargers.
Seems to be a good update so far. Another nice feature is that it shows the total network power, so when you have multiple charge controllers you can see the combined wattage of all the panels. Very cool!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 13:53   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is nice bonus, although it is dark here so mine is stuck on 0w . Also note when the solar controller turns “off” this display disappears, so if you do the software update at night ths will not be apparent. The other change I have noted is the display of the battery current is now shown to two decimal places.

Victron are to be congratulated for the many updates they have released. When I first started using these controllers the charging algorithm could best be described as “quirky”.

They have completely changed the algorithm for the better and gradually added more user control and valuable features.
Old 18-05-2020, 14:30   #82

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:

Just to clarify for those technically challenged ( me). Does this stop 1 charger being float and the others in bulk etc .
Old 18-05-2020, 18:35   #83

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Just to clarify for those technically challenged ( me). Does this stop 1 charger being float and the others in bulk etc .
Here's how Victron describes its function: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/v...art-networking

How synchronising works on solar chargers
Synchronising the chargers works in a master-slave manner. The chargers will elect a master among them and that master will be the one to dictate the charge algorithm. As the master cannot be determined by the user, it is important to make sure all chargers belonging to the same network have the same battery settings. To know more about the battery settings and some other information, check the VictronConnect solar charger manual.

After being elected, the master will make sure all chargers are on the same charge state and with the same voltage setpoint. As mentioned before, battery charge current is not controlled by the master, but by each of the chargers individually.

At the beginning of the day, the master will measure the battery voltage before any of the other chargers in the network start charging (to find battery idle voltage). This information is used to decide what should be the total absorption time for some types of batteries. The battery idle voltage is shared with the other chargers, as well as the total absorption time, and the elapsed time on the current charge state. That information is important so the charge algorithm can be resumed by the chargers if, for any reason, the master stops charging (i.e. sun went down on its panels, charger was shut down, charger loses contact with the network, etc).

In the absence of battery current sensor, such as the BMV, the chargers on the network will have their output current combined to estimate a better battery charge current. This improves the precision of the tail current setting, a feature intended to finish the charge cycle earlier if necessary.
Old 18-05-2020, 18:41   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Seems to be a good update so far. Another nice feature is that it shows the total network power, so when you have multiple charge controllers you can see the combined wattage of all the panels. Very cool!
I'm waiting on daylight to see this in operation. I hope it doesn't ONLY show the total. I like to check all four of mine to verify there isn't a shadow or a problem I don't know about.

It would be best if they just had a screen that showed all of them simultaneously instead of me having to use four ios devices to see them.,
Old 19-05-2020, 01:49   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Yes, that is exactly what I am expecting.

To do this you need to download and install the new software and firmware. This is free and straightforward. For those who have not done an update on their Victron MPPT, there is no need for any cable connection, or plugging into a PC, it can all be done with a tablet, or I presume a phone, via WiFi/Bluetooth.

You do also need another piece of hardware in addition to the MPPT controller to create a network for this to work (at least this is my understanding). This network can be provided by some of the Victron battery monitors or the Victron Smart Battery Sense (which I have). The Smart Battery Sense is quite inexpensive (about $50), is easy to install and will provide better voltage accuracy and temperature (the latter only if the batteries are reasonably close to the controller), so this is the best solution if you have a system without other suitable Victron hardware. Buy the new long range blue version of the Victron Smart Battery Sense not the old black version.

I have only had the software a few hours so I will provide some feedback when I use it more. If anyone has more experience with this update (they tend to be released on different platforms at different times), feel free to correct any mistakes I have made.
Old 19-05-2020, 02:08   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can see here that my Victron solar controller is currently producing 120w, but the app also now reports the total of all three of my controllers, which in this case is 356w.

Notice also that the solar output current is now shown to two decimal places.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E572D9F9-D7A1-48D5-BE3C-B48C22E84AC8.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	215348  
Old 19-05-2020, 04:05   #87

Quote:
You can see here that my Victron solar controller is currently producing 120w, but the app also now reports the total of all three of my controllers, which in this case is 356w.

Notice also that the solar output current is now shown to two decimal places.
This is great. Mine is showing the same. The normal display for one controller plus as you show the total of all. I’m very happy with the upgraded firmware.
Old 19-05-2020, 04:44   #88

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
This is great. Mine is showing the same. The normal display for one controller plus as you show the total of all. I’m very happy with the upgraded firmware.
It would be really great if, in some future version, the mobile app could have a "system" page that shows only the consolidated view of all controllers in the current network. But this is a good step in the right direction :-)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 06:02   #89

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Good update. Always thought it was stupid that these networked controllers couldn't talk to each other. They are still far from being 'smart' but this goes some way to helping so have to commend Victron on that along with some of the previous updates like expert mode. Many companies wouldn't bother and would just release a new model you have to buy instead. I'm still not impressed with some things about the controllers, or Victron's pricing on certain things, but it shows over time that they do listen.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 09:12   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So far the synchronisation works perfectly. Once one regulator changes mode (say from absorption to float) the others follow within a second or so.

Note: This does not mean that the power input for all controllers will be necessarily equally shared when regulating, however, this is of no consequence. All controllers are in the same phase of the algorithm and therefore aiming for voltage set points.

The display of total network power is also nice to see. The refresh rate is perhaps a little little slow and the information occasionally disappears for a second or so, but this is nit picking and it does not have much practical impact.

Tags
mppt