Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 05:06   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Need a little help designing my solar system & new bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fish View Post

For what I understand if I cannot get more storage for the energy (batteries) it doesn´t make much sense to get more solar energy
As noted by N77, you can still use significant solar with a smaller battery bank. On days without enough Sun you may end up discharging to greater than the recommended max 50% (or even on days with Sun and lots of overnight usage). This will reduce the service life of the batteries significantly - but they will still last longer than not having the solar.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:54   #17

Ok so it is clear that in any kind of system the stored energy is the when energy produced is bigger than energy consumed. Then a couple of questions.
1-with a 250 watt solar panel, at the peak hour how much Amp/h are produced, and what time of the should be by then ?
2- Could that quantity of energy stored into a 330 amp bank that let´s say is at 70% of the total capacity ?
3- Do you think Is a 330 amp bank size with the 250 panels ok for my purpose ?
4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:30   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Ok so it is clear that in any kind of system the stored energy is the when energy produced is bigger than energy consumed. Then a couple of questions.
1-with a 250 watt solar panel, at the peak hour how much Amp/h are produced, and what time of the should be by then ?
2- Could that quantity of energy stored into a 330 amp bank that let´s say is at 70% of the total capacity ?
3- Do you think Is a 330 amp bank size with the 250 panels ok for my purpose ?
18A will be seen on a very good day, but 15A would be a more normal peak sort of output. Any loads you have need to be deducted off this. Generally at peak solar output is where you will run the high load devices (watermaker, charging computer batteries etc) as well as the conventional loads such as fridge etc.

The resultant input into the batteries will generally be less than the battery bank would take, even if the bank is small, until quite a high state of charge.

This is in contrast to the much higher alternator output where battery acceptance is often a limiting factor. This is why large battery banks are needed for boats relying on engine charging, but smaller banks are OK for solar systems.

If you are going to get most of your charging from solar 330AHrs is plenty for 250w of solar, during summer in the Med. Any larger will start to increase your yearly battery running costs for little extra benefit.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:50   #19

That sounds very good to me !
Then any sugestion on how to set it up ?. I am not a genius on settings...So I did really like the Solbian set up with an easy way to install on the bimini. With the panels I do need a regulator of charge right ?.....what should be the recommendation not been just enough and not over bulding it,

Really thank you all for the help !!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:02   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That sounds very good to me !
Then any sugestion on how to set it up ?. I am not a genius on settings...So I did really like the Solbian set up with an easy way to install on the bimini. With the panels I do need a regulator of charge right ?.....what should be the recommendation not been just enough and not over bulding it,

Really thank you all for the help !!
Yes with 250w you will need a regulator.
Some of the the Solbian panels need a special regulator that will boost voltage (depending on how they are wired)
Generally you are better to pick the best panels for your instalation (size rigid flexible etc) then select a regulator. Panel voltage etc will effect the regulator ou choose.
At 250w the best regulators(depending on the panels) are
The Rogue
Morningstar
Gensun (with 2 controllers)
Old 09-04-2013, 12:46   #21

Great thank you, now I do have some measurements and work to do.
Orientation on price ?
Old 09-04-2013, 13:19   #22

Ram, have you looked into 2V battery bank? It's more expensive, but can be discharged safely to 30%, is lighter, and has a much longer life. So actually works out about the same for price. We got Mastervolts and are very happy with them. Second MPPT from Blue or Sky.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:57   #23

Now I started some investigation about placing flexible solar panels on the bimini, my loved idea, since I just whant them for summer and I don´t have space on the deck....
The first professional that I asked told me that flexible panels on a bimini would not last since the bimini will have at least two axis of torsion, and the panels are flexible only in one axis....and biminis they will have different torsions.....breaking the panels by the time...
Any comments on that.....
Old 10-04-2013, 09:02   #24

Also the guys at Solbian are offering me
2 SP125 with Junction Box, connectors, Stainless Steel Eyelets + Charge controller WRM15 (suitable for 12V battery)

Do you think is better to go for any of the other controllers?
The Rogue
Morningstar
Old 10-04-2013, 10:18   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Also the guys at Solbian are offering me
2 SP125 with Junction Box, connectors, Stainless Steel Eyelets + Charge controller WRM15 (suitable for 12V battery)

Do you think is better to go for any of the other controllers?
The Rogue
Morningstar
It is difficult to evaluate these sort of controllers. There is no independent data on the tracking ability.
The controllers parameteters look reasonably adjustable, but it appears from the manual that there is is only a choice of 2 absorption voltages, which is not ideal.

From the handbook it looks like you will need two controllers to cope with 250w.

What sort of cost is it (allowing for the cost of the panel)?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:37   #26

That´s what they told me and....one controller what do you think, they did not split things....yet.

you may choose 2 SP125 panels to get 256 total W

You can do a parallel configuration with one charge controller.

2 SP125 with Junction Box, connectors, Stainless Steel Eyelets + Charge controller WRM15 (suitable for 12V battery) = 2547,6 € VAT included

Shipping cost = 45 € VAT included

Total order = 2592,6 €
Old 10-04-2013, 12:31   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The manual for the controller is a bit confusing, but my reading is that the maximium panel size (for a 12v battery ) is 225w. If I understand correctly they are suggesting one controller for 256w.

Many, or even most, solar controllers will self regulate to protect themselves if the output current is higher.(note: not voltage, controllers are usually instantly damaged if the voltage is exceeded), but the output is less than it should be, which makes a bigger/different controller better if you want to extract maximium power.

There are also some concerns aout longevity with a controller that is operating at (or above) its design parameters.

The Solbian panels are jusifiably expensive. They are a premium flexible panel with very high efficiency, but without a breakdown in cost it is hard to decide if the controller is good value. There are certainly better controllers available but maybe not at cost that justifies the improvement.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:46   #28

I will find out.....
Old 11-04-2013, 09:29   #29

What about placing two Genasun GV-10. Like Tartansail ?
That should work right. I understand go up to 140 wats each.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:35   #30

One more question please, because of size I am not sure if two SP 125 will fit on my bimini, Power :128 W, Dimensions 1372x550x2 mm. with two converters...
Instead f I get first one SP 137 : Power 142 W, Dimensions 1499x550x2 mm. Check the sizing problem of 550 mm, and then depending on sizing I will add a 128 watts or may be I have to go for one or two 50 watts......Is there any problem of getting different power panels ?
Is possible to get one big controller for all and have less wiring or I need to get at least two controllers, What are the advantages and disadvantages... safety ?

Tags
solar