Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2021, 02:22   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006
MPPT Charge Controllers

I need some help - I have tried the Midnite Solar Forum with no response .

I have bought a Midnite Kid MPPT SOLAR Control Charger - I wanted a Midnite Kid Solar - Wind - Hydro Control Charger - These have been discontinued , so I was supplied the Solar version - I might also have been an order issue .
As I live in South Africa , returning the item is not cost effective .

My question is - will my Solar Kid 150 - 30 amp work in a Hydro application , where there are no real fluctuations , as there would be in a Wind Turbine set up .

The Alternator is a small Mwands type Rare Earth Magnet type Alternator (PMA)
The maximum output would be about 15 amps and the controller does have a dump facility , I would use the water heater system .

I have had and found various answers both positive and negative - I hope one of our members has a definitive answer
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:30   #2

Re: MPPT Charge Controllers

What is the output voltage on the turbine? This will be your issue, no need for a dump load either the controller has a float feature. Any excess power can be used at the flip of a switch to match your potential net excess.
Rinkydinkbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:21   #3

Hi Rinky ,

I much appreciate your taking the trouble to get back to me - The promotional blurb states that at a 1000 rpm it would produce 70 Volts and 11 amps . I would think that on a 3 to 1 pulley ratio the maximum would be about 1200 rpm .
As you gather electrics etc are not my strong point .

A further question what happens to the power generated if it is not being put into the battery bank .

Thanks for your interest and help .

Rgds Garth
Old 05-03-2021, 11:30   #4

I honestly have not played with the new controllers, but you need to verify your input voltage will work. There is usually a range listed, I just do not see it listed in the specs.

When your charge controller senses your battery voltage is at 100% or "float" voltage it simply disconnects. But this is a great time to turn on the ice box, AC, take a hot shower or do a load of clothes and utilize your excess energy.
Rinkydinkbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:09   #5

Hi Rinkydinkbandit , Really appreciate your help - I checked the specs and my unit is rated at 150 Volts max input . So at a max input from the alternator of 70 Volts it should be well within the rated range .
I know that with a normal Alternator ( Windings ) that to switch it off , that one just cuts the input ( exciter ) power and it then produces nothing - what happens with a Magnet Alternator like mine , how do you switch it off when batteries are full .

Rgds Garth

Tags
mppt