Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2020, 02:03   #1

What options are there for diesel generators?

I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere. I don't have a boat yet but am pricing parts, and can't seem to find what type of generators people use. Googling what diesel generators to use only comes up with websites talking about converting to electric.

I'm open to different options, but how do I find out what the options are and what they cost? Do they really cost 12k or more? I've seen people talking about using portable generators which I think are closer to 1-2k? People seem to talk about using certain generators that are not marine-grade and then painting the exhaust pipes to make them more resistant to rust. Is that an option or is spending a ton of the money the only option?

Can something like this be used?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportsman...MaApyOEALw_wcB
TheNomadicAspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 03:16   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: What options are there for diesel generators?

Cost is a function of output (Watts/KVA) and whether it is water cooled (ie seawater heat exchanger) or air cooled. Air cooled models are not made for the marine environment and are a lot cheaper. Many (unfortunately for the rest of us who anchor close by) "make do" with an air cooled petrol powered cheapie. They do the job but you have to put up with noise (as do your neighbors) and the vibration. Plus you need to keep gasoline for them and run them on deck to keep exhaust away from the cabin. We had one once, a a small Yamaha 1 KVA "quiet power" it was awful.

Depending on your power requirements a diesel 4 - 6 KVA marine generator is around $7k to $10k new depending on taxes, but will run for many thousands of hours if properly maintained.

This article may interest you
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...7-jan-2008.pdf
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 03:17   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

You can use a generator like you’ve linked, lots of people do.

But, you need to define what you want/need the generator to do for you. This cheap 1kw generator isn’t going to do what a 6kw northern lights diesel generator can do.

When you ask for options for diesel, I’m assuming you’re looking for brand names?

Northern Lights
Onan
Kohler
NexGen
Phasor
Maspower
FisherPanda
Westebeke
Paguro

The list carries on and on.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 06:40   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

If you really expect to get a lot of use out of your generator DON'T get a 1 cylinder 3600 rpm unit.
Old 20-08-2020, 08:32   #5

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

You already have a diesel generator on virtually all boats. It comes as standard when you think about it.

It's called the engine

Why carry a second lump of cast iron around when you have a perfectly useable generator already?
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 08:41   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
You already have a diesel generator on virtually all boats. It comes as standard when you think about it.

It's called the engine

Why carry a second lump of cast iron around when you have a perfectly useable generator already?
there is a BIG difference from a big lump of cast iron BATTERY CHARGER

and a much smaller electrical generator that will run MUCH more loads!
Old 20-08-2020, 08:43   #7

The lower the RPM is the less you will notice it running.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 09:17   #8

Boat: Tartan 37C

Following as I intend to install a generator in my 1980 Tartan 37. Any helpful advice is appreciated and welcome.
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 09:20   #9

Get as low RPM as possible as it will make living with a genny more bearable.
Old 20-08-2020, 09:27   #10

Thank you Stewie12. Please, any more advice as to the best place to install the generator in my 1980 Tartan 37? It looks to me as about the only place is behind the motor and transmission on the center line? What are your thoughts? Any other 1976-1986 Tartan 37 owner installed a generator?
Old 20-08-2020, 09:29   #11

Yes, would agree with you about the location as it is the only place that it will fit, Centre line for sure.
Old 20-08-2020, 09:36   #12

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

First you need to determine what your electrical needs or load will be. Cooking, AC , battery charging, lighting, etc. but remember that with a generator of a proper size you can multi task many of these at the same time. If running solely on what you get out of your alternator/battery or even solar/battery you are more limited. Sure with proper battery bank you can often use all of these things but requires learning proper sequencing and staging of all these loads (and teaching everyone on board) to avoid battery depletion.

Yes gender require fuel and maintenance. But this forum is full of threads from people wanting to know how to deal with issues with their batteries and solar hardware.

There is no free lunch.

Some tell you there is no need for a genset at all. Some people live more frugally and don’t care if they sleep without AC and other modern convinces. In fact many choose this lifestyle just because of it - not in spite of it.

Many people of the world live in one room “homes” with no electricity at all. It can be done. Question is do YOU and your boat mates all want the same level of standards.

Myself I did many boat trips to the out islands in open boats with camping gear and a Coleman stove. Then later in a cuddly cabin with no electricity. Then as I got older and moved up in boat size I expected and wanted more.

Many say they are just fine with hatched open and letting the wind blow through. Sleep like a rock.

Been there done that and not any longer. I’m sure if I asked my wife if she would like to spend two weeks anchoring out in the Bahamas in July-August with me she would say. “ Maybe you should see if you can get a guys trip arranged. But no thanks”.

Boating needs to be fun. Decide what is fun to you.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 11:18   #13

It is not about what your electrical needs are, it is about what generator you can fit in the space you have. You will have to settle for whatever its output is, which I am sure will be enough for your yacht.
Old 20-08-2020, 11:27   #14

I recently had a 6kw Northern Lights installed in my Willard 36 trawler. Generator was around $10k plus some install goodies like gen-sep for quiet running. Around $14k all-in. I considered Fisher Panda and NextGen. Because install required moving my engine out of the way, I wanted the highest quality generator possible, which for me meant Northern Lights. There is no way it's fitting on a 37-foot sailboat. I will say that in my research, I found many complaints about the Fisher Panda so I would avoid them. NextGen was definitely more popular for smaller, lightweight generators.

Our cruising grounds will be the tropics - Florida, Bahamas, and points south. A/C for my wife is not optional. Getting a generator was cheaper/easier than replacing her. There are some who run A/C on Honda-style portable generators. For me, it would not be practical. But it really depends on your budget, space, and weight considerations. If it were not for A/C, I would not bother with a generator.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 11:41   #15

Thank you Peter, yes, it's all about installing a generator and fitting it into lazarette opening. I really do not want to cut open the cockpit floor, install a large hatch just to install a generator. A second option is removing my Westerbeek 55B engine, installing the generator and reinstalling the engine. The cost of that looks to be in excess of 50% of the value of the boat. I may just have to move up to a boat with A/C and a generator as standard equipment. Too bad as I really love my Tartan. I guess the Tartan purchase was poor planning on my part.

Tags
diesel, generator