Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2013, 08:56   #1
F51

MPPT Charge Controllers

I am considering the Morningstar TS-MPPT 60 or the Outback FlexMax MPPT 60. I seem to recall that one of these units has an internal fan. Does the noise of the fan detract from the desirability of the unit? Thanks.
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 08:59   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: MPPT charge controllers

Don't know about the morningstar (I have the outback) The fan is loud but only comes on when it is very hot
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 09:25   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We faced the same choice as you and went with the Morningstar. There is no internal fan, and the heat sink only gets slightly warm. Our previous inverter/charger was an Outback and I have a high opinion of them based on our experience with that unit. The fan on the Outback inverter/charger was way, way quieter than the fan on our current Victron inverter/charger.

The reason we chose the Morningstar was it was a smaller package, and I read far too many reports of rf interference from the Outback unit. The Morningstar has been very good - it even has a built-in webserver where you can connect to it and program everything from your computer or pull down historical data and graph it. We get only the slightest hum from it on specific hf frequencies - not even enough to turn it off when using the radio on those frequencies.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 12:47   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

There is another controller coming out from Midnite if you can wait. No fan, and looks like it would fit marine applications perfectly.

MidNite Solar's Products

Available in white or black.

Midnite is owned and operated by the original founders/engineers of Outback and made in the USA.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 13:08   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

HandyBob's Blog « Making off grid RV electrical systems work

Handy Bob has a lot to say about solar equipment and advice regarding configurations and installation. I suggest a deep dive on this site for anyone doing an off-grid installation. As I recall, he was not big on Outback but Morningstar was preferred. Its been a while since I read his stuff. He has a web site & responded to my questions helpfully.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 14:06   #6

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

We installed the Morningstar TS-MPPT 60 about three years ago and are quite happy with having made that choice.

The MPPT 60 works as advertised and plays well with our Air Breeze wind turbine.

Although there is software available for using a computer with the unit we opted for the remote control panel and mounted that near the companionway. All we "need" to know at any given moment is right there on display: battery volt, battery temp, solar wattage supplied (depending on clouds, etc.), amps being fed to the batteries, actual stage (MPPT, Absorb, Float, Equalize - even Night ).

The remote control panel has a push-button menu tree for checking other stuff (for those interested in the particulars) changing some parameters, manually starting/ending an equalization cycle, and etc.

We are 24/7 live-aboards anchored out and depend totally on solar/wind for electric power.

No affiliation with TriStar - just a happy customer.

James
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 14:58   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The Outback has a very large heat sink. The fan is belt and braces type addition.

On my, rather small solar array, the fan has never come on. Reports from people operating the unit close to its limits still report the same thing.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 16:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Although there is software available for using a computer with the unit we opted for the remote control panel and mounted that near the companionway. All we "need" to know at any given moment is right there on display: battery volt, battery temp, solar wattage supplied (depending on clouds, etc.), amps being fed to the batteries, actual stage (MPPT, Absorb, Float, Equalize - even Night ).
We have the remote display also, but it doesn't allow you to control the settings on the unit. The DIP switches give you some control of those settings, but connecting to it from a computer gives you infinite control of every setting on it. You can really customize the charging profile and how it interacts with other charging sources, among many other things. And with a router, you can do it wirelessly. You can even connect it to the internet and control it or grab data remotely!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 29-12-2013, 18:23   #9

Boat: Island Pilot DSe 12m 39'6"
Re: MPPT Charge Controllers

I've had a pair of Outback MPPT 60s on our 40' Sunshine. Each has approximately 3kW of solar array and charges a 48v battery. Operating since fall 2008 without a hiccup. Installed in an electrical compartment outside the accommodations so noise is not an issue.
Old 03-01-2014, 21:00   #10

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

I am a convert to Handy Bobs. HandyBob's Blog « Making off grid RV electrical systems work logic. Now this area was not well understood by myself. So I did what he preaches for my solar and wind gen into A Morningstar which is great. Also on his advice I use a Monitor called a Boggart 2025. Now I know everything that I did not before. I think.

His straight and uncomplicated logic struck a Oooh that is how it works cord with me. See what happens in the future.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:20   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

I have never heard the fan on my Outback controller run!
Old 04-01-2014, 13:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We have the remote display also, but it doesn't allow you to control the settings on the unit. The DIP switches give you some control of those settings, but connecting to it from a computer gives you infinite control of every setting on it. You can really customize the charging profile and how it interacts with other charging sources, among many other things. And with a router, you can do it wirelessly. You can even connect it to the internet and control it or grab data remotely!

Mark
Agreed. All of what you said is true. I did download the software some time ago but as yet haven't acquired a cross-connect cable {vs the straight-through cables I have aboard}. Hmmm... Maybe it's time. At least I could test while anchored.

Stupid Question: If the parameters are changed via software, will the controller retain those settings even after being disconnected from the batteries? I'd assume so, but don't know. Do you? {Admittedly a rare occurrence, yes, but it happens.}
Old 04-01-2014, 17:32   #13

Yes, they maintain the settings. In fact, you need to disconnect it from the batteries (depower it) to cause the settings to take effect. You can use a router instead of a cross-over cable.

Mark

Old 05-01-2014, 10:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, they maintain the settings. In fact, you need to disconnect it from the batteries (depower it) to cause the settings to take effect. You can use a router instead of a cross-over cable.

Mark
Okay - got it. Thanks!

James

Tags
mppt