Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2017, 09:23   #76

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: Low Windage Solar Installations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
100w = 100w Flex or glass... makes no difference.
Sure, in a climate controlled room for a very brief period.

The Flex panels are usually mounted flat against a supporting surface, so cooling is limited, causing the performance to suffer.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 09:33   #77
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Sure, in a climate controlled room for a very brief period.

The Flex panels are usually mounted flat against a supporting surface, so cooling is limited, causing the performance to suffer.
Everyone’s an expert on the internet, except people like us who use both glass panels and flex.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 09:40   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Everyone’s an expert on the internet, except people like us who use both glass panels and flex.
on my boat I have both rigid and flex 100 watt panels.
I get ( this is an example ) I did a meter test last summer ) at that exact point at noon with no clouds I was getting 5.5 amps out of each rigid panel. And 4.2 out of the flex panel.
( yes they were oriented the same flat on the deck/ rail) ymmv.
Old 23-11-2017, 11:03   #79

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
I also have a mix of glass and flex panels, with the glass consistently outperforming the Flex.

It's only a theory, but I think the lack of cooling may have something to do with that. Also the surface of the flex panels is becoming somewhat hazy.

My flex panels are cheap Chinese PET panels, that might have something to do with it as well ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 11:14   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I also have a mix of glass and flex panels, with the glass consistently outperforming the Flex.

It's only a theory, but I think the lack of cooling may have something to do with that. Also the surface of the flex panels is becoming somewhat hazy.

My flex panels are cheap Chinese PET panels, that might have something to do with it as well ?
heat may be a factor however personally I figure it has more to do with conversion efficiency. Than anything else.
Old 24-11-2017, 05:06   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
It's only a theory, but I think the lack of cooling may have something to do with that
Not a theory it does happen. However, I don't think this is going to be a problem for Dockhead given his sailing area. Better still the extra long summer days could add a nice charging bonus compared to someone sat in the Caribbean.

Quote:
Also the surface of the flex panels is becoming somewhat hazy.
Which happened to our semi-flexible at about the 10 year point. The good news is that the expensive replacement ETFE cost 30% of the price of the first panel 10 years ago.

Think its worth identifying that most users seem to be discussing semi-flexible panels. There are also some completely flexible panels which can be rolled up. I haven't looked at the latest design but the early ones gave a poor output for a given area, cost a fortune and were easily damaged.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 05:42   #82
cruiser

Quote:

We have the more costly Solbian flex panels which were new this past season, maybe that’s why we don’t notice a difference in output.

I think you might be onto something.

Cheers
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 06:09   #83

Boat: Sabre 38

If we are thinking outside of the box, how about a solar arch that can be canted to present only the edge of the solar panels to the wind at whatever angle you are on? Something like a ram on the leeward side of each panel to lift it foot or two. The windage of the panel edges would certainly be less than their bottoms.

Added benefit is that you'll have the ability to angle the panel while at anchor for maximum output. But it would add one more task when tacking.

Cheers.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 11:54   #84

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I have low windage rail mounted..... no problem with them being 'nearer' the sea than on a cabin top/bimini/whatever.

Since the two ( Solarex/BP Solar 85W ) were fitted in Cyprus in about 1992 I have only had to replace three of them.
The starboard one after it was hit by the boom when I lost the mast and it was replaced again under warranty when one string went AWOL about 10 years later.

The port one had to be replaced after being struck by a bit of heavy water that came over the stbd bow one dark and stormy night....

Apart from that..... no problems....

Mounting is as shown.... the green 'clamps' came from an Enzed Hydraulics (?) shop in Straya... amount of friction can be adjusted to taste so they can be trimmed easily ( by foot or hand ) but not too easily.

Another option is shown in the next photos.... brackets are of German origin, inexpensive, owner said they took less than 30 minutes to fit. The clamps can slide down the tracks so, like mine, the panels can rotate through 180*. They seem to be 'fit for purpose'.... that yacht spends its days between TdF, the Falklands, and Antarctica.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB270096.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	159801   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB270097.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	159802  

Name:	PB270082.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	159803   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB270087.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	159804  

Name:	PB270086.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	159805   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB270085.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	159806  

Old 27-11-2017, 11:56   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I have low windage rail mounted..... no problem with them being 'nearer' the sea than on a cabin top/bimini/whatever.

Since the two ( Solarex/BP Solar 85W ) were fitted in Cyprus in about 1992 I have only had to replace three of them.
The starboard one after it was hit by the boom when I lost the mast and it was replaced again under warranty when one string went AWOL about 10 years later.

The port one had to be replaced after being struck by a bit of heavy water that came over the stbd bow one dark and stormy night....

Mounting is as shown.... the green 'clamps' came from an Enzed Hydraulics (?) shop in Straya... amount of friction can be adjusted to taste so they can be trimmed easily ( by foot or hand ) but not too easily.

Another option is shown in the next photos.... brackets are of German origin, inexpensive, owner said they took less than 30 minutes to fit. The clamps can slide down the tracks so, like mine, the panels can rotate through 180*. They seem to be 'fit for purpose'.... that yacht spends its days between TdF, the Falklands, and Antarctica.
nice looking install
Old 27-11-2017, 12:10   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
nice looking install
Thanks but mine is the install with duct tape holding the wiring from the windgen to the taffrail

The other boat has two on the coach roof as shown and another pair down aft in the same position as mine.
Old 28-11-2017, 04:32   #87

Boat: Maxi 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Those brackets in your last pictures looks like NOA brackets, quite handy things.
More info here: NOA Aluminium
ottow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 04:42   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
nice looking install
Yes, quite like this idea, can't remember the name of the fittings manufacturer but they aren't cheap in the UK, however, the location and method is interesting.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...4&d=1511812270
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 05:34   #89

The owner mention a german company and said they were inexpensive... less than $100... everything is relative .....
The nobs are different so I imagine they are made by a number of companies. A search ( yacht solar rail bracket ) brings up a remarkably diverse range of rail mounts but this looks like the optimum cabin top one.

I can't imagine , if sailing in moderately high latitudes as the OP does, not having adjustable panels.
Old 28-11-2017, 05:53   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here are the rail clamps I use for my installs.
Sea Dog 327199-1 REMOVEABLE RAIL MNT CLAMP 2/PK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDG_3271991.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	159834  

Tags
installation, solar, wind