Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2020, 07:55   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Lights Schematics for Sailboat Under 20'

I want to built a proper electric panel for a small sailboat under 20' and am looking for basic lights schematics and needed hardware for proper switching. I need to control 3 different lights configuration:
  • Anchor: W All around white
  • Sailing: W Stern light + R/G
  • Motoring: W All around + R/G

I can find basic panels as the one below but I suppose I need to add dual-pole rocker switches or some diodes? Anyone who has built such a panel who could provide guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Terry

https://www.westmarinepro.com/buy/we...56?recordNum=1
telecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:43   #2

Re: Lights Schematics for Sailboat Under 20'

Here, I took a shot at it. Does it makes sense?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20’ sailboat lights schematics.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	214743  
Old 10-05-2020, 10:14   #3

Boat: Hullmaster 27

In your diagram you would need a third diode to prevent the "Sail" switch lighting up the all-round light.

But IMHO ... you have three switches and three lights, just wire them one to one, and remember to turn on two switches while underway, adding the diodes just adds extra devices to fail and connectors to corrode.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:16   #4

Ha, good catch! I am going to share the boat with other people so, I am trying to make this as idiot proof as possible. And it will be all soldered so, not worries about a bad connection and I suppose diodes these days are quite reliable. So where would that additional diode go on my diagram?
Old 10-05-2020, 11:25   #5

the most common way I've seen this switching done is

• one SPST switch (on/off) for nav lights (green/red and rear white)
  • one SPDT center-off switch (on/off/on) for steaming/off/anchor lights
... which means that if you're motoring at night, you need to throw two switches- nav and steaming.

I suppose you could add one diode to send current from the steaming light to the nav lights, so that the nav lights come on also when the steaming light is turned on.

Do you know what currents all your lights draw? Your diodes should be silicon and rated for about twice that current, and a reverse voltage greater than 100 or 200 v so that they withstand any static or induced voltages.

I like illuminated switches, or LED(s) near each switch, so you can tell quickly what's been switched on.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecam View Post
Ha, good catch! I am going to share the boat with other people so, I am trying to make this as idiot proof as possible. And it will be all soldered so, not worries about a bad connection and I suppose diodes these days are quite reliable. So where would that additional diode go on my diagram?
pointing towards the bicolour between the other two diodes.

You could achieve the same result with no diodes using DPST switches for the "Motoring" and "Sailing" switches.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:30   #7

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Here is what I am using on my 21' so far. I am not that proud of it, thought it might be illustrative and conversation promotoing rather than a still life of ABYC perfection so to speak.

-SPST switch for master (on or off)

-SPDT switches for basic logic (ANCHOR or off or NAV, interior WHITE or off or RED)

My schematic and box were a reaction to the doorbell wire, broken switches, and improperly connected terminals from the previous owners. The box was moved from next to the fuel tank in back to next to the companionway in the cabin. Fuses are in holders inside the face plate of the box.

Next steps are working in the steaming light, possibly as a 'dangle' of the NAV circuit and tying in the compass illumination. I was obsessed with 'red over green' for a hot minute but am no longer.

Once the interior is done, I will be replacing all runs with duplex tinned marine wire and proper connectors. To test the box with the mast down, I stuck another LED light onto the 'anchor' circuit and stuck it on the box. Picture is showing master on, anchor on, and red interior on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SOUTHWIND_SCHEMATIC2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	214758   Click image for larger version

Name:	southwind_box1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	214759  

Old 10-05-2020, 11:38   #8

Thanks Kelkara! Makes sense. Any way you can post a sketch of the DPST switches diagram? I am not sure I understand how this would be wired.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Here is what I am using on my 21' so far. I am not that proud of it, thought it might be illustrative and conversation promotoing rather than a still life of ABYC perfection so to speak.

-SPST switch for master (on or off)

-SPDT switches for basic logic (ANCHOR or off or NAV, interior WHITE or off or RED)

My schematic and box were a reaction to the doorbell wire, broken switches, and improperly connected terminals from the previous owners. The box was moved from next to the fuel tank in back to next to the companionway in the cabin. Fuses are in holders inside the face plate of the box.

Next steps are working in the steaming light, possibly as a 'dangle' of the NAV circuit and tying in the compass illumination. I was obsessed with 'red over green' for a hot minute but am no longer.

Once the interior is done, I will be replacing all runs with duplex tinned marine wire and proper connectors. To test the box with the mast down, I stuck another LED light onto the 'anchor' circuit and stuck it on the box. Picture is showing master on, anchor on, and red interior on.
So your current configuration doesn't provide a "steaming" lights mode, just anchor and sailing. What do you mean by "red over green"?
Old 10-05-2020, 11:58   #10

Quote:
Thanks Kelkara! Makes sense. Any way you can post a sketch of the DPST switches diagram? I am not sure I understand how this would be wired.
Like this ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	214762  
Old 10-05-2020, 12:06   #11

Ha, OK. Problem is that the distribution panel with breakers from Blue Sea Systems I really like only has single pole switches so, I may go the diodes route. Do diodes draw any power or generate heat? And how do I choose the diodes to use? I am not sure how diodes rating works but the amp draw will be very low since all my nav lights will be LEDs so, less than 5W each light for sure.

https://www.westmarinepro.com/buy/bl...69?recordNum=8
Old 10-05-2020, 12:25   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
I want to built a proper electric panel for a small sailboat under 20' and am looking for basic lights schematics and needed hardware for proper switching. I need to control 3 different lights configuration:
  • Anchor: W All around white
  • Sailing: W Stern light + R/G
  • Motoring: W All around + R/G

I can find basic panels as the one below but I suppose I need to add dual-pole rocker switches or some diodes? Anyone who has built such a panel who could provide guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Terry

https://www.westmarinepro.com/buy/we...56?recordNum=1
I would use a 4 position single or double pole rotary switch.
Top postion is Sailing
Next down is motoring
Next is off,
Bottom position is anchored.

I have a bicolor for the pulpit and a tricolor/anchor light combo for the top fo the mast. This fulfills all 3 desired lighting states.

This is kind of skewed to being seen at a distance so I have orange marker lights to install around the deck edge to make short range ID better.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:31   #13

Quote:
Ha, OK. Problem is that the distribution panel with breakers from Blue Sea Systems I really like only has single pole switches so, I may go the diodes route. Do diodes draw any power or generate heat? And how do I choose the diodes to use? I am not sure how diodes rating works but the amp draw will be very low since all my nav lights will be LEDs so, less than 5W each light for sure.

https://www.westmarinepro.com/buy/bl...69?recordNum=8
That's technically just a breaker panel, though it can also serve as the switches if you have few circuits.

In our small boat, I have a 5A breaker for all nav lighting, which feeds a switch panel for the individual lights (nav, steaming, anchor)

Our other breakers feed
  • cabin lights and USB
  • stereo
  • nav instruments
  • VHF
  • port aux 12v jack
  • stbd aux 12v jack
  • spare
(yes I have 8 breakers on a 19ft boat. Overkill . But I got'em on sale and the panel is DIY)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:41   #14

Quote:
So your current configuration doesn't provide a "steaming" lights mode, just anchor and sailing. What do you mean by "red over green"?

"Red over green, sailing machine..." something to google and look at pictures sometime.

My boat was set up for masthead steaming and regular deck-mounted NAV lights, but no anchor light. This made sense for a trailer(ed) day sailor. I will want an anchor option, I have the light and such just need to run the wire in the mast.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
That's technically just a breaker panel, though it can also serve as the switches if you have few circuits.

In our small boat, I have a 5A breaker for all nav lighting, which feeds a switch panel for the individual lights (nav, steaming, anchor)

Our other breakers feed
  • cabin lights and USB
  • stereo
  • nav instruments
  • VHF
  • port aux 12v jack
  • stbd aux 12v jack
  • spare
(yes I have 8 breakers on a 19ft boat. Overkill . But I got'em on sale and the panel is DIY)

Awww....that's the way (uh-huh uh-huh) we like it (uh-huh uh-huh)

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat