Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2012, 20:31   #16

Re: LED steaming light

Quote:
Originally Posted by janders View Post
Let me amend this statement.

We had our OGM light short out while cruising. I presumed it was the wiring in the mast since we had some problems in there. We just pulled our mast off and I tested the light on a bench. The problem is the light. The anchor light leds only work on 2 of 3 quadrants and just barely light up. On the tri-color, only the port and stern lights comes on (but just barely). There was also condensation inside the case so their waterproof claims can bite me.

Pretty expensive light for the year of actual use we got out of it. Buying an OGM was a mistake.
Well, have you asked them to replace it? Sometimes stuff happens, how they react to it is the difference.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 00:41   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42, previously Kalik 44

Quote:

We had our OGM light short out while cruising. I presumed it was the wiring in the mast since we had some problems in there. We just pulled our mast off and I tested the light on a bench. The problem is the light. The anchor light leds only work on 2 of 3 quadrants and just barely light up. On the tri-color, only the port and stern lights comes on (but just barely). There was also condensation inside the case so their waterproof claims can bite me.

Pretty expensive light for the year of actual use we got out of it. Buying an OGM was a mistake.
Janders - Try to get a replacement if you're within your 2-year warranty period. They're very good with replacing units if there's any problem and will usually try to help you out in some way if it's beyond warranty.

I have a sale on the OGMs right now, the steaming light is $445.00. I'm pretty sure it's the cheapest out there, but let me know if you can find it cheaper - I'll try to beat it for you, just mention the thread.

-Erika, TransMarineStore.com
SpringWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 02:54   #18

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringWater View Post
Janders - Try to get a replacement if you're within your 2-year warranty period. They're very good with replacing units if there's any problem and will usually try to help you out in some way if it's beyond warranty.

I have a sale on the OGMs right now, the steaming light is $445.00. I'm pretty sure it's the cheapest out there, but let me know if you can find it cheaper - I'll try to beat it for you, just mention the thread.

-Erika, TransMarineStore.com
Erika, thanks for the offer. I called OGM, they wanted to charge me $150 plus shipping to fix the light since it was outside the warranty (incidentally, I found a replacement LED steaming light from Hella for less than OGM's repair fee). And for what its worth - $445 is not what I would ever consider "cheap" for a single navigation light.

I've been working on my mast for the last few weeks in a rigging shop. The guys from the rigging shop have all said that they see a tremendously high failure rate on high-end LED navigation lights (OGM & Lopolight were the brands they mentioned specifically). They tell their customers to avoid them because of how expensive they are, how often they fail and how difficult they are to replace when they fail.

YMMV.
Caliber 40 hull #55
janders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 09:14   #19

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: LED Steaming Light

A little clarification. Navigation lights on recreational vessels do not need to be certified by the Coast Guard. Certification is for builders and dealers and emergency equipment such as flares, man overboard strobes, commercial vessels, etc. The lights only need to meet the visibility and distance requirements as well as placement. While certification is probably a good idea, the lack of certification does not mean it doesn't meet requirements. Chuck

From the Coast Guard site...
"With the addition of Subpart M - Navigation Lights as a new safety standard in 33 CFR Part 183, beginning on November 1, 2003 all U.S. boat manufacturers who install navigation lights and all U.S. importers of foreignbuilt boats with navigation lights installed must now affix the certification label
required in 33 CFR 181.15."

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 09:29   #20
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Waterwayguy-
I am sorry, but you are incorrect.

Navigation light specifications (color spectrum, visibility, arc of visibility, etc.) are spelled out in Annex I of CG 169 that references 33 CFR 84 (Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) and the requirement for certification and marking is at 33 CFR 183.810 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/183/810)

Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 10:08   #21

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
Waterwayguy-
I am sorry, but you are incorrect.

Navigation light specifications (color spectrum, visibility, arc of visibility, etc.) are spelled out in Annex I of CG 169 that references 33 CFR 84 (Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) and the requirement for certification and marking is at 33 CFR 183.810 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/183/810)

Charlie
Charlie, The CFR you posted as a reference is for the certification requirements and not who is required to have certified lights. That is where all of the confusion comes in and the CFRs are often misunderstood or misquoted because of the complexity and the fact that recreational vessels and commercial vessels are all lumped in unless you read very carefully and have a good understanding of what applies to whom. the quote I posted above is from one of the Coast Guard websites providing information to recreational boaters for safety equipment including navigational lights. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 10:40   #22

Boat: Catalina 34

Paul Calder's recent blog post might help: 'Upgrading' a mystery masthead LED tricolor/anchor light | Sail Feed
Old 22-03-2012, 10:47   #23
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Chuck-
No confusion here.
1. All who operate in inland or international waters are required to operate IAW CG 169.
2. CG 169 Part C defines the required placement, arcs of visibility and visibility for the various navigation lights.
3. CG 169 Part C, Rule 22 states
Quote:
The lights prescribed in these Rules shall have an intensity as specified in [Section 8] of Annex I to these [Regulations | Rules] so as to be visible at the following minimum ranges:...
4. CG 169 Annex I Section 8 refers directly to 33 CFR 84 (Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) for the technical details of the lights.
5. The certification requirements (fairly recent, if memory serves me) are found in
33 CFR 183.810 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/183/810).

So it is a straight shot: CG 169 for general requirements > CG 169 Annex I as a "place holder" for technical requirements > 33 CFR 84 for the technical requirements > 33 CFR 183 for the certification requirements.

Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 20:35   #24

Resurrecting an old thread to get it right (hopefully.)

§ 183.801
Applicability.
This subpart applies to recreational vessel manufacturers, distributors, and dealers installing such equipment in new recreational vessels constructed after November 1, 2002.

That is what you get when you back up from the certification requirements, who exactly is impacted by regulation. Not everyone.

New Boatbuilders Home Page - Navigation Lights
armchairsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 21:02   #25

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:

Did you contact the company for warranty service?

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 03:11   #26

Boat: Tayana 42

We usually use our steaming light while sailing at night so we can see the telltails on the jib better. I didn't make that light an LEDs because I didn't think I would have it on with sailing, but they really do help, and I think they would help another boat see us as well. I guess we would then have to follow the rules of a motorsailing vessel, but it is very rare I get that close to a vessel at night in the caribbean.
msulc is offline   Reply With Quote