Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 15:11   #1

Inverter Problem

Hi All,

Need some help. I have a Heart interface Freedom 15. This morning I was using my coffee marker when the inverting stopped. I plugged into "shore power" and the system is not excepting and will not charge the batteries. The light shows that AC is plugged in but again, not charging. Also, the 120v outlets will only work on "shore power" Does anyone have any ideas?.

Thanks everyone.
gayleandpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 15:50   #2

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayleandpeter
Hi All,

Need some help. I have a Heart interface Freedom 15. This morning I was using my coffee marker when the inverting stopped. I plugged into "shore power" and the system is not excepting and will not charge the batteries. The light shows that AC is plugged in but again, not charging. Also, the 120v outlets will only work on "shore power" Does anyone have any ideas?.

Thanks everyone.
Yeah this has happened to me. I have no idea how dangerous my solution is - so don't do this

But when this has happened to me I have - turned off all batteries and ground - disconnected from shore power and physically removed the positive connection from the inverter to the batteries for 30 seconds.

Reattached it and turned everything back on - and it worked fine.

Good luck - if this is super dangerous (ie you will get fried - someone please chime in)
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 15:58   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Inverter problem

There's no breaker or fuse that you might not have noticed? That tripped on the inverter?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:09   #4

Thanks guys. There is a 200amp fuse between the battery and the inverter. There seems to be power going though it when on shore power, but I'll change it just to make sure.I'm not sure if there is an internal fuse in the unit as well. I also tried to disconnect all systems in hopes it would re-set but no luck. Please keep your ideas coming, I'm at a loss.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Inverter problem

I'da thought it has a trip switch somewhere to prevent over loading.... I know there was one on an inverter I installed on a Bendi I owned.. cannot remember the make though... or where it was come to that..
A 'mental black hole'... if it comes back I'll let you know...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:09   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

There's probably nothing you can do other than completely powering the unit off and back on. Do you have a remote panel for the inverter?
Old 07-02-2012, 05:22   #7

No, there is no remote panel for the inverter. There is a "Link 1000" but that just tells me what the inverter is doing. I will try and power down and re-start.
Thanks
Old 07-02-2012, 09:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayleandpeter View Post
Hi All,

Thanks everyone.
There are three fuses located near the batteries.

There are two wires called out in the installation manual.
Connect wires from the terminal block to the shunt and to
the battery’s positive terminal (
page 16).
The red and blue wires if the installer followed the installation procedure. They are connected to the batteries positive termainal.
Another wire with a 2 amp fuse is called out in the installation manual.
Remove all fuses at the same time and check them. I think this is the main power the Link 1000. By removing the fuses for about 10 seconds power is disconnected to the Link and the link should be reset.

Hook them back and you should be good to go.

There is a on/off switch on my Freedom 10. It didn't reset my Link.

Wish someone had told me this. I've spent hours trying to figure out how to get my link going.
gmau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 15:52   #9

Thanks everyone, I located all three fuses, one was dead. Replaced all small fuses and the large 200amp one for good measure (showing limited life), also kept unit off line for 1/2 hour. IT WORKS, System back on line, Hooray.
Thanks again to all, you were a great help.
Old 07-02-2012, 15:59   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayleandpeter View Post
Replaced all small fuses and the large 200amp one for good measure (showing limited life)
What are the signs of limited life on a fuse?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:17   #11

Hey Mark, I put my meter on the fuse, the reading was showing a very small measurement.
It was dead. Sorry for the confusion , just happy to have the thing working again and wanted to post my thanks right away.

Tags
inverter