Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-04-2016, 08:23   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
I jumped the shunt and other bad things...

Finishing up my solar install. Of course, things not going as planned. Here is a picture of my neg battery wiring:

You can see there is a shunt there. The top of the shunt is going to a busbar located a good 3' of wire away. (See pic of busbar as well).

Bottom of shunt is going to a T handle switch that switches battery neg.Wires labelled BAM2, BAM12 are actually going to the battery. Shunt is there I assume to measure bat state on main elec panel.

So if I attach my solar controller to the shunt, if that switch isn't on, I won't be recharging my battery! Can't risk that.

So I jumped the shunt, and wired directly to the battery, see picture of batteries. Is there a better way to do what I did?

Other questions. Please comment on this.
1. In thinking ahead for hooking up both controllers, I purchased a blueseas battery terminal mount fuse block https://www.bluesea.com/products/502...unt_Fuse_Block

However, it comes as M10 , 3/8" mount, my batteries pos terminal is 5/16, so this fit isn't good. Is there an item besides washers converts this, like a metal sleeve that is 3/8 top and 5/16 bottom? Or should I just use a 5/16 brass washer on top and bottom of battery?

2. I fused each wire at 30A, I am using 10Ga. Controller puts out 20 max.

3. I wanted to use 8ga wire, but even to get terminals onto my solar controller, I had to file down the edges of smallest ring terminals to fit, these I guess are #10 terminals. It would be better to use the fork terminal to fit, but I didn't think this to be as secure. Do they make these for 8 ga wire, I couldn't find anything that small.

4. Not as critical, but bus bar for neg is PACKED. Never used this type of terminal, other side of neg has no connections, are these not used? Not sure why wires not spread out. If I can't use the right side, what is best way to add in to the left.

Sorry some of the pics are turned, they aren't in my viewer, not sure how to make this this case in here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shuntwswitch.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	122812   Click image for larger version

Name:	batterywiredwsolarcontroller.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	122813  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bussbar.jpg