Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 14:40   #91

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
Capn Bill well said thank you!!
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 18:45   #92
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Electric fence for boat

Quote:
Paranoia.. tell that to those who are violated. I pray you are never raped or your loved ones. Then maybe it wouldn't be so easy to say paranoid to several post that you don't see fit for your life. Instead tell that chick it was her fault she was in a quiet harbor or walk way. Tell her she sould have not worried so much. A little forsight and forthought might set her mind at ease but then that might take some tenderness that apparently seem to be lacking . Saftey is what people are asking about not if it fits ur selfcentered self. Js
Sounds like some people should drink some rum[its legal everywhere]n pass the eff out plz
I take real issue with this response. I am selfish because I choose not to try and turn my boat into a fortress. what perverse logic.

And please leave out the emotional "rape fear" stuff. It is a tragedy that women are so treated. Do I want a society where they might be armed so as to respond. NO I don't nor do the vast majority of people where I am. Why, because that solution does more damage then the problem it was attempting to cure. The solution to crime is not to become a criminal yourself. ( or to outgun them either)

You can justify any nonsense, why raising the fear barrier, its what police states do every year. ( to better protect you).

I repeatedly made the point that you should always take basic precautions, most important is to retain a common sense. secondly why go or stay in places where there is a likely hood of these things happening, and on a boat its extremely easy to go elsewhere.

But where I draw the line is people talking about electrifying the perimeter of their boat, what is the real threat, what happens if an innocent gets hurt or drowns etc. Its nonsense and the only saving grace is almost nobody carries through with this nonsense

So in that vein, what about Men from Mars guarding my board with blaster ray guns. About as implementable.
Dave
Old 11-04-2012, 19:08   #93

To save on electricity why not just string razor wire around the boat. Or pay a large local to sit in the dingy all night to keep watch (probably cost a Dollar). Of the perceived safest place Stay at home.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 19:17   #94

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
That was in Georgia. For West Virginia, you've gotta watch Wrong Turn. Those dudes in Deliverance are wimps compared to these guys

Eric
wrong turn had 2 sequels,,,,I think one of the hillbillys looks like my ex mother-in-law,,,they were good movies

forgot that deliverance was in georgia
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 21:16   #95

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I take real issue with this response. I am selfish because I choose not to try and turn my boat into a fortress. what perverse logic.

And please leave out the emotional "rape fear" stuff. It is a tragedy that women are so treated. Do I want a society where they might be armed so as to respond. NO I don't nor do the vast majority of people where I am. Why, because that solution does more damage then the problem it was attempting to cure. The solution to crime is not to become a criminal yourself. ( or to outgun them either)

You can justify any nonsense, why raising the fear barrier, its what police states do every year. ( to better protect you).

I repeatedly made the point that you should always take basic precautions, most important is to retain a common sense. secondly why go or stay in places where there is a likely hood of these things happening, and on a boat its extremely easy to go elsewhere.

But where I draw the line is people talking about electrifying the perimeter of their boat, what is the real threat, what happens if an innocent gets hurt or drowns etc. Its nonsense and the only saving grace is almost nobody carries through with this nonsense

So in that vein, what about Men from Mars guarding my board with blaster ray guns. About as implementable.
Dave
Consideration of the fitting an agricultural electric fence is not by any means electrifying the perimeter of their boat unlike some home electric defence systems potentially lethal you see in some countries.

It does not hurt or stop someone attempting to board at all costs but would certainly give the violator a moment to pause and reconsider their actions.

I don't know if they can be fitted to a boat without issues but they are certainly cheap enough and perhaps along with other non lethal deterents such as locked grills etc could be useful.

Google livestock electric fencing before writing them off as a paranoid lethal defence system.

Worth a consideration. Certainly not a blaster ray gun. Sheeesh.......
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:40   #96

Maybe just some signage would be enough of a deterent. On a recent hike I took this photo of a community garden for locals in the area to use which had an electric fence around it to keep out the critters. Was it actually electrified? I wasn't about to find out the hard way.

You might also consider a simple motion sensor for use while you are sleeping. I use one from Harbor Freight around my home. Simple, cheap, battery operated, works great.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:48   #97
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
Maybe just some signage would be enough of a deterent. On a recent hike I took this photo of a community garden for locals in the area to use which had an electric fence around it to keep out the critters. Was it actually electrified? ........
I guess it was unless the local critters could read
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:55   #98

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
maybe not in Australia
Reminded me of the census forms being left on our deck for collection a week later, we described our house as 35'x10'9"x10' of curved steel, they accepted liveaboards back in 1978 in Qld......
Old 12-04-2012, 07:14   #99
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I can just see the boat with electric fence lifelines, all covered with signs in the dozens of langauges that would be necessary for a cruising boat. How friendly, respectful and inviting! You'd be the most popular boat in the anchorage! No one would think you're nuts at all! Except, like, everyone everywhere. I think it would be rude to show up in someone else's country with your fortress of fear. If you're that worried about it just don't go.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:18   #100

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Or this for 25 bucks. Just too easy and take it with you on a charter. Scroll down to motion alarm.
House Security Products
Also..... click on the hidden safes tab. Really cool and affordable. Don't reinvent the wheel. Somebody is already ahead of you.

BTW Remember the old 20,000 Leagues movie. They had an electrified deck. Can't find the vid. Anybody?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:21   #101
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushirama View Post
I got some good advice from a boating friend of mine. just keep a water bottle of gasoline and a lighter next to your bed. If some one gets in start spraying every where and on whom ever you can get. The smell and the fact that its kinda like a nuclear weapon in a cabin is usually a pretty good deterrent. If theyre going to take me out its matter of them determining who is willing to die with you.

really?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:25   #102
CLOD

Boat: none

These threads always suggest to me that I shouldn't be worried about the locals, I should be worried about the cruisers! The cruisers as a percentage sound a LOT more dangerous!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:45   #103
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Or this for 25 bucks. Just too easy and take it with you on a charter. Scroll down to motion alarm.
House Security Products
Also..... click on the hidden safes tab. Really cool and affordable. Don't reinvent the wheel. Somebody is already ahead of you.

BTW Remember the old 20,000 Leagues movie. They had an electrified deck. Can't find the vid. Anybody?

Yea, but that was because they had problems with giant squid attacks. I'd electrify my deck too!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:53   #104

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Yea, but that was because they had problems with giant squid attacks. I'd electrify my deck too!
Add a couple hundred pounds of breading. Can you say Calamari? Yum!Wasn't there a scene where they shocked some natives. This is what the OP wants!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19   #105
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Add a couple hundred pounds of breading. Can you say Calamari? Yum!Wasn't there a scene where they shocked some natives. This is what the OP wants!

Genius! Now we're getting to a logical use for this thing. Fried flying fish in the lifelines every morning, all ready made!

Tags
electric