Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2024, 03:36   #1

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Earthing the inverter

I've tried doing a search on the threads to find an answer to my query but I find then a bit too technical.

Today I installed a 24V 2000W/4000W Giandel inverter. They supplied the earthing wire (cable?) and the earthing terminal on the inverter chassis is clearly marked. (Incidentally I have a rotating 100A ON/OFF switch for the inverter)

Now where do I attach the earth cable? I have a number of negative bus bars, the motor negative. Can I attach it to one of them?

Since I have lightning strips should I attach it to one of them?

Thanks in advance.

ANOTHER QUESTION

I'd like to test the inverter under load. I have 240V AC at the pen. I have a 50A 24v battery charger. Is it OK to hook the battery charger up and then test the inverter under full load for 30 seconds or so to (say) test the HWS, toaster etc?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 04:22   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Earthing the inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I've tried doing a search on the threads to find an answer to my query but I find then a bit too technical.

Today I installed a 24V 2000W/4000W Giandel inverter. They supplied the earthing wire (cable?) and the earthing terminal on the inverter chassis is clearly marked. (Incidentally I have a rotating 100A ON/OFF switch for the inverter)

Now where do I attach the earth cable? I have a number of negative bus bars, the motor negative. Can I attach it to one of them?

Since I have lightning strips should I attach it to one of them?

Thanks in advance.

ANOTHER QUESTION

I'd like to test the inverter under load. I have 240V AC at the pen. I have a 50A 24v battery charger. Is it OK to hook the battery charger up and then test the inverter under full load for 30 seconds or so to (say) test the HWS, toaster etc?
No! You attach the ground wire straight from the ground terminal of the inverter to the ground busbar. This is where the ground wires of all the outlets are connected as well.

Edit: if you don’t have outlets… to answer you I need to know if you have shore power and where that is connected to (incl. ground)

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 04:34   #3

As Jedi has already said, "All bonding should be done at one central point. It is not acceptable to bond various parts of the system in various separate places. This can cause voltage differentials between various parts of the hull which can lead to stray current erosion."

a quote from:
SmartGauge Electronics - To bond or not to bond - Hulls and electrical earthing
Uncle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 04:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No! You attach the ground wire straight from the ground terminal of the inverter to the ground busbar. This is where the ground wires of all the outlets are connected as well.

Edit: if you don’t have outlets… to answer you I need to know if you have shore power and where that is connected to (incl. ground)
I have X4 lightning strips, engine intake thru hull (S/S) and a S/S inlet and outlet. (I plan to replace the S/S thru hulls with TruDesign thru hulls at first opportunity)

If I attach the inverter earth to a lightning strip as well as the thru hulls is that OK?

I'm a bit confused. The inverter has three 240V outlets
Old 19-03-2024, 04:48   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
The Giandel inverter is only intended to power it's integral receptacles, not a remote AC panel.
The inverter grounding terminal should be connected to the engine negative terminal [where the negative battery cable is connected], or it’s AC grounding bus.

See: “The connection between AC, DC, Bonding, Grounding, and Lightning Protection systems”
https://newboatbuilders.com/pages/electricity14.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 05:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The Giandel inverter is only intended to power it's integral receptacles, not a remote AC panel.
The inverter grounding terminal should be connected to the engine negative terminal [where the negative battery cable is connected], or it’s AC grounding bus.

See: “The connection between AC, DC, Bonding, Grounding, and Lightning Protection systems”

Thank you Gord.

I realise now I just came across the same article!!!

I have just read the following which seems to be in agreement with what you say (I'll have to read the whole article) My Inverter has X3 240V AC outlets.

"Grounding is making a connection between systems or equipment on a boat to bring that system or equipment to zero voltage potential, or earth ground. The grounding system may be connected to the engine negative terminal, or connected to a grounding buss that is connected to the engine negative terminal.

The Connection Between Bonding, Grounding And Lightning

Old 19-03-2024, 06:35   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No answer on shore power yet…

Old 19-03-2024, 15:57   #8

Quote:
There is a power outlet for each pen which I assume has RCD. Currently I have an extension cord from the power outlet to the 240V appliance

My yacht is not wired for 240V . If it was I'd have to get the yacht wired for 249V and get a suitable plug installed on the cabin side(?) When I look at other yachts/boats they have electrical cords disappearing down the gangway.
Old 19-03-2024, 18:43   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
There is a power outlet for each pen which I assume has RCD. Currently I have an extension cord from the power outlet to the 240V appliance

My yacht is not wired for 240V . If it was I'd have to get the yacht wired for 249V and get a suitable plug installed on the cabin side(?) When I look at other yachts/boats they have electrical cords disappearing down the gangway.
Sorry that this is so difficult but I simply don’t understand you. Do you or do you not have shore power? Is there an inlet and a cable you can connect to shore for power?

I also don’t know what a pen is. I have never heard of 249V installations and suitable plugs for cabin side?

I’m afraid I can’t follow a word of what you write while I think my question is so basic, so simple…

Old 19-03-2024, 20:27   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Sorry that this is so difficult but I simply don’t understand you. Do you or do you not have shore power? Is there an inlet and a cable you can connect to shore for power?

I also don’t know what a pen is. I have never heard of 249V installations and suitable plugs for cabin side?

I’m afraid I can’t follow a word of what you write while I think my question is so basic, so simple…
It helps if you are an Aussie...

A pen is a berth, usually a floating marina berth. 249V is a typo for 240V. We call mains power '240'; spoken as 'two forty'.

A suitable plug on the cabin side is a mains inlet socket as found on caravans and RVs https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/33407282...RoCl-MQAvD_BwE

Reading between the lines -
Coop's boat does not have a shore power connection or onboard mains power distribution panel. If he needs 240 on board, he runs a lead (extension cord) from the pen outlet (240 VAC with its built in RCD/ELCB) to the boat and the extension cord disappears down the companionway to the item that needs the power.

Coops has a stand alone 240 inverter that has 2 (or 3) power outlets hard mounted in the inverter chassis. It is not designed to be hard wired into an onboard distribution panel.

This is not an unusual arrangement down under.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 21:32   #11

Boat: Island Packet 40

Not certain but I think the 240 volts is the RMS value rather than a typo. The peak voltage is higher.
Old 19-03-2024, 21:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It helps if you are an Aussie...

A pen is a berth, usually a floating marina berth. 249V is a typo for 240V. We call mains power '240'; spoken as 'two forty'.

A suitable plug on the cabin side is a mains inlet socket as found on caravans and RVs https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/33407282...RoCl-MQAvD_BwE

Reading between the lines -
Coop's boat does not have a shore power connection or onboard mains power distribution panel. If he needs 240 on board, he runs a lead (extension cord) from the pen outlet (240 VAC with its built in RCD/ELCB) to the boat and the extension cord disappears down the companionway to the item that needs the power.

Coops has a stand alone 240 inverter that has 2 (or 3) power outlets hard mounted in the inverter chassis. It is not designed to be hard wired into an onboard distribution panel.

This is not an unusual arrangement down under.

Thank you so much Wotname you got it in one.

(I've made a deliberate decision not to comment further)
Old 19-03-2024, 21:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Not certain but I think the 240 volts is the RMS value rather than a typo. The peak voltage is higher.

No, it was a typo. (The voltage of domestic power in Australia is 240V)

I am a two finger typist and currently have very watery eyes due to hay-fever and I batrle to see tje kets
Old 19-03-2024, 22:11   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The peak value of 240V RMS is ~ 339V.

About a 100 years ago, Australia standardised on a mains supply of 240 VAC (RMS). About 20 years ago, we started a transition to 230 VAC. Each state manages it own transition but they have now all achieved the new value.

AS 61000.3.100 stipulates a nominal 230 V, with an allowable voltage to the customer of +10% to –6%.

The peak of 230 (RMS) is 325
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 00:06   #15

Quote:

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/medi...sInsurance.pdf

General Instructions for the
Connection of Vessels to the
Shore-Based Power Supply

This Marina provides power for use on your boat with a direct connection to the marina low-voltage electrical supply which is connected to a copper-based marina electrical protective earthing system.
An isolating transformer fitted on-board to isolate the low-voltage electrical system of your boat from the marina low-voltage electrical supply system may reduce corrosion activity caused by the coupling of your boat’s earth to the marina electrical protective earthing system and/or other boats.
Additional sacrificial anodes or galvanic isolators complying with AS/NZS 3004.2, Clause 2. 6.4 may be used to reduce these effects. (Refer to the AS/NZS 2382 series of Standards for suitable cathodic protection practices.)

YOUR BOATS’S LOW-VOLTAGE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM MUST COMPLY WITH AS/NZ 3004.2 AND THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 15-21-20 MAC_G_ElectGasInsurance.pdf.png
Views:	29
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	287822  

Tags
inverter