Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2012, 09:14   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Charger / Inverter Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjags View Post
Thanks. We only plan on using the AC on especially hot, humid, windless days to cool the cabin for a few hours before we go to sleep. Up till now, we haven't needed the AC at all except when we were in Cartagena. The rest of the time, the breeze and temperature has been great, and we have not missed not having the AC.

In fact, it's a lot hotter and muggier in Alabama right now than it is in Panama!

I agree about the diesel generator being a better long-term solution. But once we get the boat through the canal and over to Contadora, we'll be back to mostly day-sailing and 3-4 day overnight trips and won't be on the boat full time.

I could buy a new Honda every couple of years for a good long while before I've spent what a new diesel generator would cost.
Well, go for it then. Set the current limit on the Victron to the lowest value which will allow the aircon to run. Then it won't charge your batteries except when the aircon is cycled off, and will use inverted power from your batteries to power the startup load. It should work pretty well, but I doubt the genset will hold up for many years if you do it often. In the long run a diesel genset is a good investment -- anyway you always need power for one thing or another on a cruising boat.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, inverter