Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2020, 11:27   #16

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Charge controller to buss or straight to battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
In the process of installing solar on my boat. Is it acceptable to run the output from the charge controller to the positive buss or does it have to go straight to the battery? I’ve seen both but thought it was always recommended to go straight to the battery.

Thanks
There will be many opposing views on this.

I run the solar output to the positive bus, with its own switch.

The shore power battery charger also goes to the positive bus, also switched.

The alternator output also goes directly to the positive bus.

The cables from the batteries to the switches are heavy, 2/0.

The output from the charging sources can then be directed to either battery, or both, under my control.

I am a believer that only one wire should be connected to the positive post on the battery, that that goes directly to the battery switch. All loads, and all charging sources, go from the positive bus through the switch to the batteries.

Among other things, this allows the batteries to be completely isolated if desired, with a simple change of the switch position.

This also means that I have to accept the responsibility of correctly managing charging and switching the batteries myself.
Old 31-08-2020, 15:11   #17

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
In the process of installing solar on my boat. Is it acceptable to run the output from the charge controller to the positive buss or does it have to go straight to the battery? I’ve seen both but thought it was always recommended to go straight to the battery.

Thanks
It seems to me that a very easy way for a rough check of the resistance between your positive battery terminal and your positive bus is to the first measure the DC voltage between the negative and positive terminals of your battery and then measure the voltage between the negative pole of your battery and your positive bus. If the voltage reading is the same or very very close, no problem at all.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 01-09-2020, 00:18   #18

Boat: S&S 36

Quote:

Thanks
Probably to the battery direct, as the controller requires power supply to work. If you switch your power off when leaving the boat,the charger shuts down. ( most of them )
I have two banks and they are connected to twin battery bank charger, giving priority to start battery and when 90% switches to house. This way ,always enough power to start engine.
Nico Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 00:21   #19

Quote:

Thanks
Probably to the battery direct, as the controller requires power supply to work. If you switch your power off when leaving the boat,the charger shuts down. ( most of them ) some chargers reset themselves to default when depowered
I have two banks and they are connected to twin battery bank charger, giving priority to start battery and when 90% switches to house. This way ,always enough power to start engine.
Old 01-09-2020, 00:31   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Domino View Post
Probably to the battery direct, as the controller requires power supply to work. If you switch your power off when leaving the boat,the charger shuts down. ( most of them ) some chargers reset themselves to default when depowered
If the buss is a charge buss as it should be the solar connections should go to it. Batteries deserve the fewest connections possible. From house bank positive to the buss, with all charge sources connected and from there to the switch.

What charger do you have that knows when your start battery is at 90% SOC? All multi bank chargers I know of supply current and the battery most in need takes the bulk of the current with the other(s) taking less as needed.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 00:31   #21

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Did you read the original question?

More to the point, did ken understand the original question?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:15   #22

Boat: Wellcraft Steplift V20 / Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
I wire to the bus bar with adequate fuse just before it clearly the wire from busbar to battery is capable of this common sense I suppose
Some folks told God they already have enough money when He was handing out common sense. I said I’ll take all I can get and He gave me a pocket full and said keep the change.
aa1bflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 17:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
If the buss is a charge buss as it should be the solar connections should go to it. Batteries deserve the fewest connections possible. From house bank positive to the buss, with all charge sources connected and from there to the switch.

What charger do you have that knows when your start battery is at 90% SOC? All multi bank chargers I know of supply current and the battery most in need takes the bulk of the current with the other(s) taking less as needed.
See attachment,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200901_200520.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	222507  
Old 01-09-2020, 19:11   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Domino View Post
See attachment,
What is that supposed to mean. Same as any solar controller really.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 21:11   #25

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I wired mine to the battery side of the house battery switch. It's fused for 10 guage wire. The battery to switch is fused for 1 guage wire. Well it's actually fused for bigger wire because it caries starter current but will blow before wire damage or fire if shorted. ANL 250 amp I think. Maybe 300 amp. Unless the fuses are blown the solar is always on.

It will varry with boat depending on battery location, charge controller location, and main switch locations.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 21:21   #26

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner

You might consider adding a "charge" bus separate to your "load" bus with it's own cable to the battery.

Just future proofing for a lithium battery upgrade if you ever go that route...
pwillems is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery