Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2020, 04:46   #1

Can the Honda EU10 run the Sterling pro charge ultra 50A at full?

I think it will given it's 0.99PF rating, but would like some experienced input before I spend the big dollars on the Honda. Last thing I won't is to have to try & return it, and I don't won't the bigger EU20 unless there is a good reason (less overall fuel usage or wear & tear/replacement?) to lug that mass around. I once measured the max watts used by the sterling in my house AC 240 plug charging at 50A 14V in late bulk stage, and it read just under 800watts. I also read the honda can go 1000KVa for 30mins. But is there a start up surge the Honda can't handle? I read on another forum this may be an issue with chargers in general.
JmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:09   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Can the Honda EU10 run the Sterling pro charge ultra 50A at full?

But what else will be on the circuit while you are charging? Are you prepared for a shorter life of the generator because it was run wide open for long periods? Will your electrical needs increase over the lifespan of the genset.

There is something to be said (I'll say it) for hearing the genset just loafing along doing it's job. Makes the gin and tonic more enjoyable.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:23   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I think the 2000 will be quieter and more pleasant since it won't be taxed.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
But what else will be on the circuit while you are charging? Are you prepared for a shorter life of the generator because it was run wide open for long periods? Will your electrical needs increase over the lifespan of the genset.

There is something to be said (I'll say it) for hearing the genset just loafing along doing it's job. Makes the gin and tonic more enjoyable.
While charging there is minimal loads (fridge and few others small loads).

I would run it occasionally not rely on it much. You mention good points, I also read that in hot climate the unit's output may struggle.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:03   #5

Boat: Gulf 32

My EU1000i is older so maybe things have changed, but I doubt the 1,000watts for 30 minutes thing... for maybe 5-10 seconds sure, but mine will struggle with any constant load over 900 watts. It will run 900 watts consistently once it's warm. For startup loads don't run the eco throttle and then there isn't such a bog down when a big load hits it and it's at low RPMs (where it might stall)... eco throttle won't save you anything when running full power anyway.

I think you might be happier with the EU2200i (1800w continuous) based on comments above (or maybe try to find a deal on a lightly used EU2000i - 1600w continuous - from someone who's jumping up to a 2200), not such a razor thin margin so you could do some other power hungry things (great time to turn the freezer way down for an hour, charge a bunch of things etc).

Also, the 2200 has a 58% larger gas tank, so you won't be filling it as frequently. I see the claim of 3.2 hours run time for the 1000 at "rated load", no idea how they got that, I've killed a tank of fuel in that thing in about 45 minutes running a heat gun constantly on the 750w setting, so if your batteries are way down you'll be refilling that little tank a few times to get a full charge on (less frequently once the charger goes to absorption but still).

Displacement on the 2200 is more than double the displacement on the 1000, that means it should be able to produce more power at lower RPM's which means quieter (that's one of the knocks on the Yamaha generators is they're smaller displacement and have to run at higher RPM's which equates to louder and more wear).

2200 Companion model also gets you a 30a outlet (obviously not 30a of power unless you chain two of them) might make plugging in to charge easier.

I own a 1000 and we have 2000's at work (fire department), sure the 2000 is a little bigger and heavier but I don't find the difference that extreme for the bang you get for the bigger generator buck.

I could find the reference (don't have it handy), when I was sizing a generator for an off grid cabin I remember reading you want your generator to be running at 60-70% of rated output when your charger's running on full for best lifespan.

-- Bass
Old 09-02-2020, 11:13   #6

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

It depends on expected use. Theorectical max output from the charger is 750w if it where 100% efficient so your measurment of 800w sounds good. The genset is rated at 900w @ 20deg cent so in theory you have about 12% in reserve. That not a lot and I would suggest not enough if you are going to be regularly bulk charging from the genset. On the other hand if this is only a backupand will rarly be driven at those levels the fine, it should do it when required
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:23   #7

Boat: Cape Barren Goose

I have the 2200 and it is great. Quiet, light enough to move around. Runs my shop vac and microwave whilst charging stuff.
When I looked at it, the 1000 was not big enough except to run a batter charger, but there are better ways of charging batteries.

It has an idle economy mode that is so quiet. Not sure the 1000 may have this but my stays in economy if it is just running the battery charger.

My next project is to design a weatherproof enclosure mounted on my arch for it so I don’t have to move it when I am anchor/gunkhole mode.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:23   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Yes it will. I ran the same setup for a number of years. Eco mode needs to be off when charging.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 13:34   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Maybe, but it will be busting it’s gut to do so.
My Sterling Pro charge ultra 60 has so much surge that I have to have eco off on my Honda 2000 or the Honda shuts down, the surge is instantaneous, it’s not a ramp up at all.

Once past the surge my 2000 will run it in eco mode and do so very quietly, it “purrs”.
There is a point to where these Honda’s run quietly, my 2000 that’s about 13 amps or it’s continuous rated max, it will honestly run up to 14.5 or 15 amps, but those last couple of amps have it screaming, literally.
So it seems a Honda will run its continuous power output quietly, but over that and it screams unpleasantly.
I believe you will be happier with a 2000/2200, 2000 if you can get a deal, otherwise 2200.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 13:54   #10

Specifications for the Sterling Pro Charger. Compare to your generator rating specifications.

Product information (Specs are for the 12v 60 amp model, all other units data prorated)
Input voltage range 90-270 v 40-70 hz
Power Factor at 230 v 0.976
Efficiency 89.4%
Full output load current (110/230v) 9.8/4.6 So take 5/6th of these amperages for a 50 Amp charger.
Ripple noise (R.M.S.) 14mv
Ground leakage 0.5 ma
Generator/ mains power required to run unit (watts)
12 v 20 amp approx 300 watts
12 v 30 amp approx 450 watts
12 v 40 amp approx 600 watts
12 v 50 amp approx 750 watts
12 v 60 amp approx 900 watts
24 v 20 amp approx 600 watts
24 v 30 amp approx 900 watts
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 14:50   #11

Boat: Fusion 40

I tried a couple of generators (not Honda or Yamaha) rated to 1.1 kVA. In theory they should have had the capacity to run my battery charger which is rated to 100A but rarely charges over 50A. Despite showing nominal rates within the power capabilities of the generator I could never get these to perform and they dropped out within 20 sec.

However I'd be interested how you Honda goes and if it can handle the load.
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 15:05   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheflyer View Post
I tried a couple of generators (not Honda or Yamaha) rated to 1.1 kVA. In theory they should have had the capacity to run my battery charger which is rated to 100A but rarely charges over 50A. Despite showing nominal rates within the power capabilities of the generator I could never get these to perform and they dropped out within 20 sec.

The Honda significantly outperforms others, or said another way, it will make more than it’s rated power.
Rich Boren, the manufacturer of the Cruise RO watermaker has stated many times that a Honda will easily start his watermaker, the others, maybe not, even back when the others were rated at 2200 W and the Honda only had a 2000.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 16:27   #13

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheflyer View Post

The 50A Sterling is one of a few chargers that can run on the 900va rated Honda. 35A is about the limit with many off-the-shelf chargers, not only as a result of lower efficiency, but likely because of start up loading and larger power factor ratios also. Start load and power factor can usually be all but ignored when plugged into the grid, but are the reason why generators can struggle with some loads that "on paper" are well within their output range.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
My EU1000i is older so maybe things have changed, but I doubt the 1,000watts for 30 minutes thing... for maybe 5-10 seconds sure, but mine will struggle with any constant load over 900 watts. It will run 900 watts consistently once it's warm. For startup loads don't run the eco throttle and then there isn't such a bog down when a big load hits it and it's at low RPMs (where it might stall)... eco throttle won't save you anything when running full power anyway.

I think you might be happier with the EU2200i (1800w continuous) based on comments above (or maybe try to find a deal on a lightly used EU2000i - 1600w continuous - from someone who's jumping up to a 2200), not such a razor thin margin so you could do some other power hungry things (great time to turn the freezer way down for an hour, charge a bunch of things etc).

Also, the 2200 has a 58% larger gas tank, so you won't be filling it as frequently. I see the claim of 3.2 hours run time for the 1000 at "rated load", no idea how they got that, I've killed a tank of fuel in that thing in about 45 minutes running a heat gun constantly on the 750w setting, so if your batteries are way down you'll be refilling that little tank a few times to get a full charge on (less frequently once the charger goes to absorption but still).

Displacement on the 2200 is more than double the displacement on the 1000, that means it should be able to produce more power at lower RPM's which means quieter (that's one of the knocks on the Yamaha generators is they're smaller displacement and have to run at higher RPM's which equates to louder and more wear).

2200 Companion model also gets you a 30a outlet (obviously not 30a of power unless you chain two of them) might make plugging in to charge easier.

I own a 1000 and we have 2000's at work (fire department), sure the 2000 is a little bigger and heavier but I don't find the difference that extreme for the bang you get for the bigger generator buck.

I could find the reference (don't have it handy), when I was sizing a generator for an off grid cabin I remember reading you want your generator to be running at 60-70% of rated output when your charger's running on full for best lifespan.

-- Bass
Thanks for that

that 1000w for 30mins must just be some marketing i read. I should have known better.

45mins for 750w continuous is crazy. Does this sound right for a aged unit to anyone else? Sure one with 2000hrs on it never serviced.

You have convinced me to look into the EF2000is. cheers
Old 12-02-2020, 04:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Yes it will. I ran the same setup for a number of years. Eco mode needs to be off when charging.
Thanks, can you say how many hours a week yours ran? can I assume the yamaha EF1000is would work too? It has better features over the honda.

Tags
honda