Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2020, 14:52   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
+ Bus Bar question

Do you guys run a smaller + bus bar off of your main + bus bar for attaching smaller wired items such as bilge pump, stereo memory, VHF etc or do you connect them to the main +bus and just use larger ring terminals?

any disadvantage to branching a smaller +bus bar of of the main +bus for this purpose?
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 14:56   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: + Bus Bar question

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
Do you guys run a smaller + bus bar off of your main + bus bar for attaching smaller wired items such as bilge pump, stereo memory, VHF etc or do you connect them to the main +bus and just use larger ring terminals?

any disadvantage to branching a smaller +bus bar of of the main +bus for this purpose?
Bilge pumps should connect to the “always-on” busbar but other items you list should be connected to fuse- or breaker boxes, and those have 1 bigger diameter wire to the busbar.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 15:00   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Bus bar feeds the breaker panel. Each end user has its own breaker. Use only ABYC marine rated wires. These are high flex and pre-tinned copper. I Silver solder every crimped connector and terminal. Use heat shrink tubing to insulate and strain relieve at the connector.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 15:32   #4

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Quote:

Assuming everything else is correct, and you follow normal recommendations for fusing, there is no disadvantage to doing what you suggest. There is also no disadvantage to using larger ring terminals. Whatever gives the neater installation.

There are a lot of considerations... where is your main battery switch? How many other connections to your “+ bus bar”? Where is your circuit protection? Etc, etc.

Normally a + bus bar has very few connections, since all need to be fused within 48” (if I remember correctly!) of the battery.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 16:03   #5

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ture24349.html

Normally the bilge pumps are connected ahead of the battery switching and the main distribution bus bar after/ downstream of the battery switching. I used a small BS fuse block tapped from the main bus bar to power emeter, alt regulator, ect.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 16:14   #6

They do make bus bars with different size studs.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 16:20   #7

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Bilge pumps should connect to the “always-on” busbar but other items you list should be connected to fuse- or breaker boxes, and those have 1 bigger diameter wire to the busbar.
Yup, battery hot fuse block

Bilge, fire systems, security, etc.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 16:24   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Our boat does not have one ;-( It is a small boat though.

But I think there is a good reason to have them.

I had bars on all big boats I worked for.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 16:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
They do make bus bars with different size studs.
Sure ...infinite combinations

Normally you purchase bus bar stock and customize to your application

You can search catalogues for premade bars that suit your application

https://www.mcmaster.com/bus-bars/copper/
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 16:39   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:

All circuit breaker panels I have ever seen have a buss bar running down each column of circuit breakers. If all of your circuits are controlled by one circuit breaker panel this is the way to go. A master breaker on the panel feeds the buss bars. The one exception is the bilge pump breaker that bypasses the master breaker so that turning off the main breaker does not turn off the bilge pump circuit.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 19:22   #11

since all of those need fuses. use one of these. then just run a 8 or 6awg or whatever from fuse block to main unswitched bus.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/502..._Bus_and_Cover
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 13:01   #12

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

There is a family of power distribution devices called "DIN rail power distribution". This is used in my Beneteau and makes for a neat, easily marked installation. You might Google it.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 17:32   #13

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

I have a large + bus bar near batteries for distribution of "cable" sized loads. From my parallel battery switch that turns on the loads, I run a small cable to a Blue Seas bus bar with #10 screws. This feeds my always on loads like bilge pumps, stereo memory, USB charger. Since these aren't protect by a breaker I run inline fuses for all of them
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 17:49   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Here you go: https://www.bluesea.com/products/502..._Bus_and_Cover
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 19:49   #15
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
Assuming everything else is correct, and you follow normal recommendations for fusing, there is no disadvantage to doing what you suggest. There is also no disadvantage to using larger ring terminals. Whatever gives the neater installation.

There are a lot of considerations... where is your main battery switch? How many other connections to your “+ bus bar”? Where is your circuit protection? Etc, etc.

Normally a + bus bar has very few connections, since all need to be fused within 48” (if I remember correctly!) of the battery.
havnt installed anything yet as im still in the planning stages and right now i think the battery switch will be about 4 feet from the house batteries. bus bar i have no idea yet. worse case im looking at 12 feet from batteries close to the charger. so charger would connect to bus a couple of feet away. cable would run from + bus to the batteries 12ish ft away (one way) and then to the switch another 3-4 ft away. not sure if this is acceptable but room for batteries is an issue and trying to get the charger, batteries and Switch close together is probably not doable until i move diesel fuel tank in the future. then i can get everything close together.

for now i figure two charge sources to the + bus but in the future can see adding a couple more for solar and possibly wind or hydro power.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote