Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2021, 20:54   #16

Re: Boroscope or Fish Tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
If you just feed it through gently it should be fine. But, inside the mast itself, are there screws in there that are in the way, or rivets?
I was thinking more long term water egress, chafing.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 20:58   #17

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

You might blow a messenger line through with a shop vac or an air compressor.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 21:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
If you don't want water down the mast, yes.
And to add, seal the mast side and the cable to the grommet side.
Also a rain loop, on the cable. To direct water away from the seal.
You mean glue the grommet into the mast? And
What's a rainloop? Like a down spout coming out of the mast?
Old 13-12-2021, 23:08   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Maybe some photos would be nice. Is this a deck-stepped mast? What is the purpose of the cables you are running?
Boatyarddog is referring to a hole in the mast, say below the spreaders for spreader lights perhaps, I believe. In that case the cables run down from the hole down through the mast. If it's a keel-stepped mast and you don't want water (like rainwater) trickling down inside the boat down inside the mast, you'd probably want to seal it. The loop he is referring to would be at the point where it enters the mast so that water does not drain down the cable, through the seal and into the mast. (Boatyarddog, correct me if I am wrong here.) But it sounds like you might be talking about something different (?)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 00:49   #20

Quote:
Maybe some photos would be nice. Is this a deck-stepped mast? What is the purpose of the cables you are running?
Boatyarddog is referring to a hole in the mast, say below the spreaders for spreader lights perhaps, I believe. In that case the cables run down from the hole down through the mast. If it's a keel-stepped mast and you don't want water (like rainwater) trickling down inside the boat down inside the mast, you'd probably want to seal it. The loop he is referring to would be at the point where it enters the mast so that water does not drain down the cable, through the seal and into the mast. (Boatyarddog, correct me if I am wrong here.) But it sounds like you might be talking about something different (?)
It's deck stepped yes.
I mounted a 1st watch radar about 12' up the mast and a steaming light up a little higher. Those are the things I'm powering.

So he's describing something like a drip loop?
Old 14-12-2021, 10:41   #21

Boat: O’Day 40

As others have noted, you need both a borescope & a fish tape & occasionally a line with weights. I've found the borescope to be invaluable for routing cables , plumbing lines and the like. I have also taped a borescope to a steel fish tape at times- what a god send. amazon & ebay both good sources
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 12:18   #22

JBP is right, magnet are the way to go. I got a couple of the real strong magnets, only about an inch long. I put each one in a small sack so I could tie a line onto the inside one and it as easier to grip and slide the outside one.
jack630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 13:58   #23

Boat: C&C 34

Take it the mast is in the boat and not on the hard.

If you have internal halyards be careful not to wrap around them with the wires you run, especially if you use the fishing weight.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 14:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouK View Post
As others have noted, you need both a borescope & a fish tape & occasionally a line with weights. I've found the borescope to be invaluable for routing cables , plumbing lines and the like. I have also taped a borescope to a steel fish tape at times- what a god send. amazon & ebay both good sources
did you get one of the $40 wifi scopes off Bezos? Or something higher end?
Old 14-12-2021, 14:25   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 31

The glow fiberglass fish tape is superior. Available in other lengths.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...0550/314609744
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 16:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
It's deck stepped yes.
I mounted a 1st watch radar about 12' up the mast and a steaming light up a little higher. Those are the things I'm powering.

So he's describing something like a drip loop?
So am I right to assume the cables are coming out of the deck near the mast base, entering the mast there and then coming out somewhere near below the spreaders? In my case, the wires I ran to the mast head come out at the top, and I sealed the hole with LifeCaulk as I recall. It has been fine. But I am not concerned about water inside the mast because my mast is deck-stepped also so I want water to drain out the bottom of the mast. The cables do need to be sealed for the purpose of anchoring them though IMO, so that their weight is not puling on the connection. The drip loop will help in that regard.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 14-12-2021, 18:38   #27

Quote:
So am I right to assume the cables are coming out of the deck near the mast base, entering the mast there and then coming out somewhere near below the spreaders? In my case, the wires I ran to the mast head come out at the top, and I sealed the hole with LifeCaulk as I recall. It has been fine. But I am not concerned about water inside the mast because my mast is deck-stepped also so I want water to drain out the bottom of the mast. The cables do need to be sealed for the purpose of anchoring them though IMO, so that their weight is not puling on the connection. The drip loop will help in that regard.
Basically yes, mast is stepped on a block about 4" above the deck. Existing cables exit the mast interior via a hole drilled in the mast.
Old 14-12-2021, 20:39   #28

Quote:
Basically yes, mast is stepped on a block about 4" above the deck. Existing cables exit the mast interior via a hole drilled in the mast.
4" is kinda high, is this a tabernacle by chance? What kind of boat is this? In any case it sounds like you can run the cable in and out and not worry about water entering since I am guessing there is a drain hole at the base already. The one fly in the ointment is that since it will not be in a conduit it may slap inside the mast when the boat is rocking at anchor. That can be a bit annoying but is not a sign of any damage or hazard. These things are always best handled when the mast is down.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 14-12-2021, 23:00   #29

Quote:
4" is kinda high, is this a tabernacle by chance? What kind of boat is this? In any case it sounds like you can run the cable in and out and not worry about water entering since I am guessing there is a drain hole at the base already. The one fly in the ointment is that since it will not be in a conduit it may slap inside the mast when the boat is rocking at anchor. That can be a bit annoying but is not a sign of any damage or hazard. These things are always best handled when the mast is down.
It's a motorsailer. 29' long, mast around 24'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inkedtigertiger_LI.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	249852  
Old 15-12-2021, 18:28   #30

Quote:
It's a motorsailer. 29' long, mast around 24'.
Wait, is that Santa Barbara? I know that boat!
That's a nice little boat! My buddy has his boat just down the way from you at the end there.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
fish, scope