Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2017, 05:34   #16

Boat: Caliber 47
Re: Best new flex panels on the market?

Here's a good way to mount your flexible panels.....you'll have to google them to find them....doubt Hamilton Ferris will sell them separate

SOLAR SNAPS THE SOLUTION TO SOLAR MOUNTING IS HERE...
Your Solarflexx panels include the Solar Snap system so you can enjoy simple attachment and fast removal of your panels. Our Solar Snap system utilizes marine grade stainless steel quick release connectors designed for your choice of canvas or hard surface mounts. This is the solution you have been waiting for as it conforms to dodger and bimini mount installations, hard tops, or your pilot house roof!

SolarSnaps simply mount to canvas dodger and biminiEasy on off soalrflexx panel removal Attaching SolarFlexx panels to canvas is easy SolarFlexx Panel simply Snaps in place
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 05:35   #17

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Can the happy customers be more specific about energy efficiency for flat flex panels??

I had at best 55% efficiency for a couple of hours, in Sicily, Lat 37° N, in the best months (May, June, Sept)

Was l unlucky with GIOCO panels ??

Can Anyone compare flex vs fixed panels, all the rest being the same, as to EFFICIENCY (not durability) ?

my sentiment is quite negative about the flex panels, indeed l am considering a fixed dodger for this very reason...

PS rated output 150W
Max. Output 82W actual (11am -1:30pm, solar time)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 05:54   #18

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethk View Post
Had all mine replaced by Solbian Twice!!, Fading issues and bad connection boxes on top, very expensive, would rather use cheap Chinese panels and chuck them out after 3 years
same problem with mine, by GIOCO (A former partner to Solbian, thus . I think, technology is the same....)

Oh, yes, the guarantee is free.

Troubleshooting
Disassembling
Packing
Delivery (50eur)
no output (2months)
re-assembly

is for free
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 09:39   #19

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Did you remember to remove the clear shipping plastic that they use to protect the surface in shipping just like your new cellphone was packaged. ?
We purchased a new toaster which had a blue digital display.
It was hard to read and we didn't realize it had a plastic covering over it for almost a week.
After removing it, the display was crystal clear!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 10:45   #20

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We also had some flexible solar panels go hazy. They can be sensitive to chemicals commonly used on boats that are not intended to be used on plastics. Basically don't clean them with anything you would not use to clean strataglass or similar. I think cleaners that have PTFE in them are big culprits.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 16:11   #21

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Can the happy customers be more specific about energy efficiency for flat flex panels??

I had at best 55% efficiency for a couple of hours, in Sicily, Lat 37° N, in the best months (May, June, Sept)

Was l unlucky with GIOCO panels ??

Can Anyone compare flex vs fixed panels, all the rest being the same, as to EFFICIENCY (not durability) ?

my sentiment is quite negative about the flex panels, indeed l am considering a fixed dodger for this very reason...

PS rated output 150W
Max. Output 82W actual (11am -1:30pm, solar time)
There is no significant difference between flexpanels and ridgid as to efficiency. They use the same cells. The difference is in the longevity of use. Flexpanels just don't last near as long as ridgid.
Old 22-09-2017, 17:36   #22
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Figure three years, max for cheapies, average for quality.

Cheaper to buy cheapies and carry spares.

To increase the odds, NO flexing after install, and try to quickly dissipate the heat from the back side.

Stiff aluminum backing plate with an air gap below? Now we're re-inventing the wheel. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 18:34   #23

Check how long those thrilled with their solbian have had them. Lot of short time experience trotting out glowing reviews, which are essentially worthless.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 18:54   #24

I’ve had my solbians for 3 years. I loved them-lightweight, efficient, and backed up by the seller when two hazed over. They were mounted high and I wasn’t able to complete removal of them for Irma and they were destroyer but I would not hesitate suggesting them or the solara panels to anyone.
Old 22-09-2017, 20:17   #25

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I’ve had my solbians for 3 years. I loved them-lightweight, efficient, and backed up by the seller when two hazed over. They were mounted high and I wasn’t able to complete removal of them for Irma and they were destroyer but I would not hesitate suggesting them or the solara panels to anyone.
Why the high rating when two failed in under 3 years? It seems for the high premium that Solbian charges you'd expect a lot more longevity than what you get with cheap flexpanels at 1/3 to 1/5 the price.
Old 22-09-2017, 20:34   #26

Best new flex panels on the market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Why the high rating when two failed in under 3 years? It seems for the high premium that Solbian charges you'd expect a lot more longevity than what you get with cheap flexpanels at 1/3 to 1/5 the price.

They performed as designed and this issue was an anomaly. Solbian has since fixed the production issue plus the company stands behind their products. I got brand new ones for almost free. They have a good warranty.

They certainly produced way more power than my old panels. Even hazed, they still were producing almost the complete output they were supposed to, so it was mostly an esthetic issue.
Old 22-09-2017, 20:49   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis

We have 3 flexible 100w panels from photonic universe: 3 years old. 6-7 amps each.

One panel blew off the Bimini in a storm, was on the bottom 12 meters down for 1 day until I could find it again, it's still producing the same amount of power as when I bought it.

Another time I had them on deck and a random gust blew one against the mast cracking the plastic, it's still working​ perfectly, even after the mess when i hot glued it to reseal the crack.

Our panels have suffered incredible abuse, flapping in gale winds, impacts and sinkings,, it's amazing how durable these things are! No clouding or delamination has happened so far.

We now attach each panel with very thick (5cm) bands of Velcro.
sailabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 20:54   #28

Boat: Tartan 37

ETFE is the way to go, no hazing.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 21:04   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailabroad View Post
We have 3 flexible 100w panels from photonic universe: 3 years old. 6-7 amps each.

One panel blew off the Bimini in a storm, was on the bottom 12 meters down for 1 day until I could find it again, it's still producing the same amount of power as when I bought it.

Another time I had them on deck and a random gust blew one against the mast cracking the plastic, it's still working​ perfectly, even after the mess when i hot glued it to reseal the crack.

Our panels have suffered incredible abuse, flapping in gale winds, impacts and sinkings,, it's amazing how durable these things are! No clouding or delamination has happened so far.

Exactly, it took a cat 5 hurricane to destroy mine.
Old 22-09-2017, 21:23   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailabroad View Post

That sounds great 7 amps out mof a 100 watt panel (100 Watts ÷7 amps= 14.3 volts)
That really is phenomenal I only get about 5 amps out of my 100 watt renogy panels in July in direct sunlight. (At 90°to the sun.)

Tags
panels