Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-03-2013, 18:50   #29
Marine Service Provider

Re: Battery Charge Readings ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
So I'm been on the hard so have run the battery charger numerous times. I also have run an equalizer charge a couple of times.

Yesterday when I plugged into shore power the battery charge ams quickly went down to less than 2 on my 460 AH bank. I also checked specific gravity and they indicated charged.

Today I go t the boat and the voltage is still 12.78. I used the inverter to use a drop light and was using about 2.5 amps. The voltage dropped down to 12.3V???? When I turned it off the voltage slowly went back up to 12.6V. Used a whopping 2.5AH.

This just seems all weird to me as I don't feel the voltage should have dropped like this under such a small load. But this is how my batteries have acted since they were new.

Am I confused?
Don,

Your symptoms suggest a sulphated battery bank. But we don't really have enough information to make that diagnosis.

How are you monitoring amp and amp hrs?
IIRC you have a shunt that is mis-wired has that been corrected?
What is the temp of the electrolyte?

SPG can only accurately estimate the state of charge, if it is temp corrected, and at a 24hr resting voltage.

I see your symptoms all the time, the new bank takes a while to produce the actual amp/hr ratings, but what happens is it become badly sulphated before it ever gets broke-in. From poor charging practice, and poor charge design.

Your bank's 20 amp hr rate is about 23 amps...so if at 23 amp load you should be able go a good 6-7 hrs before you would see 12.3. At 2.5 amp load you shouldn't see 12.3V for at least 40 plus hrs.

You need to go to Battery University.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery