Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2024, 09:52   #16

Boat: Oyster 435
Re: Battery Cable Crimping Tool

I use the FTZ tool with FTZ lugs (seems to make a difference) and keep one of the hammer gizmos with our cruising tool kit. I’ve never used the hammer tool so I don’t know how it works. After reading this thread I’ll solder then hammer crimp if I ever needed to use it.
Note that the FTZ tool does a great job but struggles with large crimps. Certainly doable but takes some force.
Tsuru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2024, 09:57   #17

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

An alternative to trying to get a good crimp on large lugs is to solder the connection. This is done by first filling the lug with solder and melting it. Keep adding solder until you get the lug at least 1/2 way filled. While keeping the solder melted, plunge the striiped cable into the lug barrel. The cooler cable will probaly start to solidify the solder part way in. If this happens, reheat the lug while applying pressure on the cable until the solder melts again and the cable is fully seated. Trim off any wire hairs that get flared out. I hold the lug in either a vice or vice grip. I find this creates a more secure and complete connection than crimping.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2024, 11:00   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

If you just have a few uses hammercrimper. Cheap easy. Heat shrink tape over the joint the adhesive heavy duty type and you are good. I used a hammer on my first battery installl. For the second I bought the expensive ones. The expensive ones are better for when I was doing a massive amount of crimping but the hammer is good for a few. 😀perfect is the mortal enemy of good enough.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2024, 11:29   #19

Couldn't find the FTZ crimper when I was looking a few years back, so I went with the Ancor version: https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-703040-...DKIKX0DER&th=1

Rewired my entire boat with it and it worked well. I suspect the FTZ one is better just because I trust Maine Sail's advice. I would not be comfortable using a hammer crimper for battery cables other than for a temporary fix.
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2024, 18:34   #20

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
If you only need it for a couple crimps, the hammer type are much cheaper.

https://a.co/d/i0TOjcC/
Yes, I looked at that, but unfortunately, I have two 25 ft 4/0 cables already in place and fished through a couple of tight spots and not where I'd have any surface to pound on. I could extract tails one way and then the other, but I think I have access to a crimper now.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2024, 18:37   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
ABYC does permit soldering of battery lugs. Additionally, if you are not satisfied with the crimp, you can always solder too.
Good to know!
Old 28-03-2024, 18:49   #22

I used this TempCo crimper for 4/0 cables. High quality US manufacturer. 5 year warranty. Beautiful crimps. Hydraulics made it easy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also get a good ratchet cable cutter. Cutting 4/0 cable neatly is hard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
CarlF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2024, 18:52   #23

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should have stated that my cable is 4/0 so it will require a bigger crimper.

It seems I will have access to a crimper, so won't ned to buy one...yet.
Old 31-03-2024, 11:42   #24
CMH

Boat: Irwin 65, center console, owner’s version

I can recommend the iwiss unit. My only complaint would be is that it’s difficult to use in tight areas as the handles need to open fairly wide. Other than that it worked flawlessly for me on more than a dozen 4/0 crimps.
Also, I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but lugs with flaired ends will make your life MUCH easier.
Chris
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2024, 12:17   #25
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuru View Post
... After reading this thread I’ll solder then hammer crimp if I ever needed to use it....

That is "crimp then solder." You always crimp first, and then seal with solder. If you solder first, if the joint warms in use, the solder softens, and the crimp comes loose.

Crimp first.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:08   #26

I always use solder slugs for battery cables. One get a far better connection than a crimp. The slugs include flux and are color coded for the AWG lug size providing the right amount of solder. They are cost effective and easy to install and are ABYC approved. Just google "solder slugs"
dreuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:18   #27

Boat: CSY walkover 44"

Have you considered an Anvil Type of crimper? It's more than sufficient for the occasional need to crimp 0 cables. Be sure to use a heavy, 40oz, hammer and only strike once. Way cheaper and small enough to keep in electrical tool bag.
N-Aimless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:30   #28

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreuge View Post
I always use solder slugs for battery cables. One get a far better connection than a crimp. The slugs include flux and are color coded for the AWG lug size providing the right amount of solder. They are cost effective and easy to install and are ABYC approved. Just google "solder slugs"
From my understanding it is only ABYC approved if "solder shall not be the sole means of connection at a terminal". Meaning you must also crimp the terminal.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:35   #29

Boat: Catalina 30

Please read this article: https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables/

Beware of what you find on Amazon. A lot of cheap knockoffs are offered there. Electrical work is not the place to cheap out, it i a safety item. If you can't borrow what you need, see if anyone rents them. (Electrical supply, big box, etc.)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:52   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I took another track.....I fitted a copper battery fitting on the wire cable, placed the fitting in a vice, open end up and then heated it up using a mini-propane torch.
When the battery fitting became hot enough, I heated and poured solder into the fitting till it was flush with the top of the fitting.
Then gave it a bit of crimp using vice-grips pliers.
Let it cool down and removed it.
Proved to be strong and reliable connection.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery