Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2023, 04:51   #1

Boat: 1980 Rafiki 37ft
Balmar max charge 612 for any alternator?

Hard time finding info if this regulator/charger will work with any alternator.
Balmar of course wants u to use it with theirs at 900$
thx
RunningCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 06:10   #2

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber
Re: Balmar max charge 612 for any alternator?

Balmar Regulators are designed to regulate the positive side of the rotating field circuit. (P type alternator) With that said... If you take the Balmar 612 regulator and your alternator of choice to a proper alternator shop, the technician can always figure out a way to make the two work together. If you are looking for a plug and play solution, you will probably be disappointed.
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 06:15   #3

Boat: IP 44

Have you looked at the Wakespeed WS500? I dont have either, but Ive been doing some research. Highly configurable.
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:35   #4

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningCool View Post
thx
No mystery - just have the alternator modified to external regulation. Not complicated or expensive.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 04:42   #5

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
Have you looked at the Wakespeed WS500? I dont have either, but Ive been doing some research. Highly configurable.
Also check out the new Arco Zeus, even more configuration options and bluetooth programming so you can program from a smartphone.
https://theyachtrigger.com/arco-zeus...tor-regulator/
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 12:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningCool View Post
thx

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
No mystery - just have the alternator modified to external regulation. Not complicated or expensive.

This will work. I bought an alternator that was not internally regulated, way back in 2002, that had the "plug n' play" plug in the body of the alternator to accommodate the MC-612 harness plug (I do have the MC-612). Otherwise you'd have to do what NewMoon suggests. If you do so, have them include the plug for simplicity, but it won't be built into the alternator body. Otherwise, you'd have to snip off the plug on the MC-612 harness and just connect the wires comin out of the back of the alternator. Make sure the shop tells you what the two wires are for, and label them before you forget.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 17:01   #7

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

The Wakespeed has a huge following, and The Yacht Rigger would love to sell you a Zeus. Both are massively more expensive than the Balmar.

The Balmar admittedly is a serious pain in the arse to program -- at least, I seem to recall it was, but since I did it in 2019 and it is a once-and-done thing, how much are you willing to pay to avoid that one-time pain?

Depending on your needs, you MAY find the Balmar limited in its capabilities compared to the more expensive choices. MAY. I have yet to upgrade to LFP, but I don't see the Balmar as having any limitations.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 17:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post

The Balmar admittedly is a serious pain in the arse to program -- at least, I seem to recall it was, but since I did it in 2019 and it is a once-and-done thing, how much are you willing to pay to avoid that one-time pain?

Maine Sail suggests that you program it off the boat with a simple 12V power supply. He even has a handy dandy programming spreadsheet on his website: marinbehowto.com

If you install it in a reasonably accessible place it's not too hard.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 21:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
The Wakespeed has a huge following, and The Yacht Rigger would love to sell you a Zeus. Both are massively more expensive than the Balmar.

Depending on your needs, you MAY find the Balmar limited in its capabilities compared to the more expensive choices. MAY. I have yet to upgrade to LFP, but I don't see the Balmar as having any limitations.

balmar is 10x easier then the wakespeed. plus you can troubleshot a balmar. you can't troubleshot a non working wakespeed. can't even get to the wires with a voltmeter.

I still wish victron would make one. with easy bluetooth programming and alt data. so surprised they haven't yet.

it will work any any positive externally fielded alternator. most alternators are internally regulated and require conversion to external field. any alt shop should be able to convert any alt.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 21:32   #10

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Maine Sail suggests that you program it off the boat with a simple 12V power supply. He even has a handy dandy programming spreadsheet on his website: marinbehowto.com

If you install it in a reasonably accessible place it's not too hard.
Even with a spreadsheet, I find it isn't easy unless you have a second person. One looking at the spreadsheet reading out loud what to expect next, while the other stares at the LED display. If I look back and forth, inevitably I miss something flashing on the display, get lost, and it falls out of programming mode. Then I get to start over.

And then, even with two people I get tripped up because my brain interprets the meaning of what's displayed on the 7 segment LED differently than Balmar. I have programmed electronic devices using all sorts of archaic methods for decades, and seldom do I get lost and confused. But gawd the Balmar is the worst POS for setting up I have ever come across. At least use 2 read switches for a select/next function or a 5 digit LED, or 16 segment LEDs or SOMETHING to make it understandable to look at. It would almost be excusable if this were 1980. But the new 618 works the same way, unless you spend $$$$$ for the whole Balmar ecosystem.

Fortunately, it is something you usually only set once. I've updated mine for LFP, and helped a couple friends with theirs and dread it every time I look at the thing.
Old 15-11-2023, 13:27   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yacht Rigger View Post
Also check out the new Arco Zeus, even more configuration options and bluetooth programming so you can program from a smartphone.
https://theyachtrigger.com/arco-zeus...tor-regulator/
Any Black Friday promotions?

I purchased my Rainman water maker from you.
svtickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 08:47   #12

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtickles View Post
Any Black Friday promotions?

I purchased my Rainman water maker from you.
Hey there, please email electrical@TheYachtRigger.com for enquiries about Zeus pricing, this is Steve typing this, I am all over the rigging and hardware dept.

And thanks for the Rainman purchase!
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, balmar