Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 10:53   #1
cruiser

Are Westerbeke and Kubota the same?

Are Westerbeke generator engines simply rebranded Kubota engines?

We have a 7.5 generator on our Oyster, and I just got taken to the cleaners by a stateside Westerbeke dealer who charged $379.00 to rebuild my Westerbeke/Johnson water pump, then the shop guy had the Gaul to laugh and say "a new one is only $500, why didn't you just buy that?" It's a part that looks like it should cost no more than $100, simple, one set of bearings and an impeller... I supplied the core.

The guy had told me over the phone it would cost about $90 in parts and an hour of labor, so I was expecting $175. Then he looses my pump for six months, then charges me $135 for an hour of labor plus parts. He claims the parts cost $244!

If this thing is actually a Kubota, then I'm finished with Westerbeke.

So I'm asking, is it a Kubota?

Thanks
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 10:56   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Are Westerbeke and Kubota the same?

Most westerbeke engines are Mitsubishi.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 10:57   #3
cruiser

Ahhhh, Mitsubishi. How can I tell if mine's a Mitsubishi?
Old 24-05-2016, 10:59   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Pump in the engine or water pump">raw water pump? I rebuilt a raw water Johnson pump for about $30 of parts and an hour of my time.(second time, first took a bit longer to figure out how to get it apart)
Seals and bearings are stock industrial components. Assuming the shaft is still good.
But no, Kubota and Beta are the same (some Nannis).
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:06   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Pump in the engine or raw water pump? I rebuilt a raw water Johnson pump for about $30 of parts and an hour of my time.(second time, first took a bit longer to figure out how to get it apart)
Seals and bearings are stock industrial components. Assuming the shaft is still good.
But no, Kubota and Beta are the same (some Nannis).
Raw water Johnson pump.

Yes, I was expecting to pay about $90 labor plus under $50 in parts. I didn't realize what happened until two days before I was to catch a plane back to Italy. I went to pack the pump, couldn't find it, then realized the dealer never sent it back to me from last October. Then I got robbed when he knew I needed it right away. He claimed the shaft needed replacement.

Thanks for the info.
Old 24-05-2016, 11:07   #6

Universals are based on Kubota but Westerbeke bought Universal sometime ago so that may be the source of confusion.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:11   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Ahhhh, Mitsubishi. How can I tell if mine's a Mitsubishi?

Probe for a serial # on the block. Unless westerbeke has re stamped it......then it's internet xrefrencing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:14   #8

Westerbeke marinised many different brands of engine including Mitsubishi, Kubota, Perkins, probably others.

I am quite willing to believe that the parts did cost $244 as that's what it costs for the parts for my raw water pump these days. The shafts do get worn and they are expensive. When you have a leak for a long time it tends to corrode and damage the shaft.

My suggestion is to purchase an entire spare pump. Not from Westerbeke, but from a Johnson supplier via the interweb.

It's "gall" btw, not "gaul".
Old 24-05-2016, 11:46   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Westerbeke marinised many different brands of engine including Mitsubishi, Kubota, Perkins, probably others.

I am quite willing to believe that the parts did cost $244 as that's what it costs for the parts for my raw water pump these days. The shafts do get worn and they are expensive. When you have a leak for a long time it tends to corrode and damage the shaft.

My suggestion is to purchase an entire spare pump. Not from Westerbeke, but from a Johnson supplier via the interweb.

It's "gall" btw, not "gaul".
Spell check drives me crazy. I wrote gall and then the iPad changed it when I moved on.

I purchased a replacement pump last summer, the one I had rebuilt is now the spare.

Thanks for your help.

The engine Westerbeke serial number is: 109946-E505
Old 24-05-2016, 12:04   #10

Boat: Able 50

Westerbeke make generators. Kubota make diesel engines. Kubota engines power several brands of generators such as NextGen, Fischer Panda and Westerbeke.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 12:39   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

My Westerbeke 55A is a mitsubishi
Old 24-05-2016, 14:16   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Are Westerbeke generator engines simply rebranded Kubota engines?

We have a 7.5 generator on our Oyster, and I just got taken to the cleaners by a stateside Westerbeke dealer who charged $379.00 to rebuild my Westerbeke/Johnson water pump, then the shop guy had the Gaul to laugh and say "a new one is only $500, why didn't you just buy that?" It's a part that looks like it should cost no more than $100, simple, one set of bearings and an impeller... I supplied the core.

The guy had told me over the phone it would cost about $90 in parts and an hour of labor, so I was expecting $175. Then he looses my pump for six months, then charges me $135 for an hour of labor plus parts. He claims the parts cost $244!

If this thing is actually a Kubota, then I'm finished with Westerbeke.

So I'm asking, is it a Kubota?

Thanks
Your 7.5 is most likely a Mitsubishi block. The raw water pumps are almost always made under contract by Johnson to specifically fit the Mitsubishi blocks. Neither Kubota nor Mitsubishi nor Shibaura (Perkins & Volvo) make raw water pumps.

Like all of Westerbeke's contracts with suppliers the supplier is not allowed to sell any parts direct to the consumer or to bypass Westerbeke in any way. While you may find a Johnson 810-B1 impeller, seals, bearings or parts that are shared, through creative sleuthing, you will not find the complete pump or pump casting anywhere but Westerbeke because Johnson can't sell them to you.

I had to do an end run on Westerbeke, meaning get very creative, just to get a Mitsubishi parts manual for my S4L2 Mitsubishi engine. The minute you say "Westerbeke" to an industrial engine supplier the conversation is done. Heck don't even tell them it is red in color of the conversation is likely done. First I had to find out what tractor uses an S4L2 engine and it turned out that a New Holland did. I ordered the Mitsubishi engine manual based on having a New Holland (can't remember model now but I did get the manual).
Old 24-05-2016, 14:21   #13
cruiser

Thanks,

Lots of good information so far.

Old 24-05-2016, 14:25   #14
cruiser

I already know Weterbeke specs many of the parts different. Last summer I ordered an impeller for the Johnson pump from two different places only to discover that neither one fit. The stainless bar was too big to fit the groove on the spindle. Only the impeller purchased via the Westerbeke dealer fit.
Old 24-05-2016, 17:46   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

The two I have worked on were both Mitsu blocks.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke