Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2017, 13:29   #31
cruiser

Re: Are solar and wind enough for cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Just remember that lead acid batteries drink distilled water.
The more you discharge and charge them the more water they drink.
Distilled water costs 99 cents per gallon, I hardly think it's going to break the bank.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 13:48   #32

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Are solar and wind enough for cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHR View Post
Awesome sauce! Thank you folks. More to learn. I appreciate the energy budget ideas. I got some work to do.
Yes, more to do with the $50k. The Hunter does not have a dinghy, or davits, or a watermaker (but it comes with a 200 gal tank), and I am still working on the spending plan.

Honestly, I just think you should go sailing with the boat you bought and not worry about anything like this for a year. At the end of that year, you will have had more experience sailing than the majority of people on sailnet and you will discover that you either love sailing or hate sailing. You will also be much more informed on what you need for your boat, or if you want to go buy a different boat. Either way, you will have a bunch of cash in your pocket.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 13:52   #33

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
With AC, heating and cooling, etc. you are likely looking towards a genset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Likely? It's 100% certain!
The loads OP list guarantee extensive genny use.
AND solar will be required to get the bank to 100% for longevity.
All the test is details.

But at least in the grand scheme of things boat, the cost of diesel for the genset could well be chump change for many folks.

Depends on climate and circumstances, of course...

Just saying don't be afraid of that cost factor. Use the boat for a while, figure out what you need, upgrade where necessary, enjoy.

-Chris
Old 23-09-2017, 14:29   #34

Location: Wherever the boat lies, USA coasts, Keys, Bahamas & Islands
Boat: Island Spirit 40' Cat

Sure, but don't don't skimp on batteries.

Sucking 100Amp running a microwave, a toaster or a coffee maker from 2 100Ah batts is abusing them. Have at least 6, so each only will be giving out 16.7 Ah. I added 2 more just for that, bringing it down to 12.5 Ah per.
Giving you the luxury of a relaxing breakfast not having to juggle switches. Within a few hours, the solar recharged them all back (I have 4 x 100W panels now). Start small but think future. Get 1 or 2 100W panels but a 500W MPPT Solar Monitor. Allows you to add two more panels later.

I have also added a wind generator, that will almost the keeps the batts charged when you sail all day. Make sure it has clear wind, not disturbed by sail, cockpit or instruments (radar, antenna, ..) It works at night too.

200 Gals of water is plenty. Unless you plan to stay offshore for weeks at a time, I'd remove the watermaker (I did, needed too much juice to run) and rig something to collect rain water. I have a 135Gal tank of "rain" water and a 85Gal of "fresh shore water" only. Whole boat is rigged on the rain water, (with a couple of filters to clean it up) including the galley. Its sink is the only one with the extra fresh water spout for cooking, drinking and rinsing dishes washed with the rain water. I of course fill both tanks up when I have a fresh water supply somewhere. Never ran out.

Get a Summer Shower bag, fill it up with water, keep it in the sun and out of the wind, and you'll have a hot outdoor shower by end of day.

Good luck with your new endeavor.
Old 23-09-2017, 14:39   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Fuel cost for a generator is not substantial.
What may be is the cost per hour once you amortize the cost of the generator. If one is $10,000 and will last for 5000 hours, then it costs $2 an hour to run it, then add fuel and maintenance costs.
Run one 2000 hours a year and you will need a new one every two and a half years.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 15:49   #36
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Distilled water costs 99 cents per gallon, I hardly think it's going to break the bank.
It's only expensive (very) if you forget
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 15:50   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What may be is the cost per hour once you amortize the cost of the generator. If one is $10,000 and will last for 5000 hours, then it costs $2 an hour to run it, then add fuel and maintenance costs.
Run one 2000 hours a year and you will need a new one every two and a half years.
These parts of the cost equation are so often ignored in discussions like this. Good onya for pointing them out... but many will ignore your wisdom and then whine when the genny dies in the course of time!

Jim
Old 23-09-2017, 15:53   #38

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Sounds like Bernard took very few showers if any and sailed solo... most likely due to his personal hygiene.
But seriously, cruising is like backpacking (which I did a lot of in my younger days). If ye can't wash in seawater and rinse with a 1.5 minute freshwater shower (my boat has a shower), you should'ne be cruising. IMHO.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 16:35   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
But seriously, cruising is like backpacking (which I did a lot of in my younger days). If ye can't wash in seawater and rinse with a 1.5 minute freshwater shower (my boat has a shower), you should'ne be cruising. IMHO.

I did a lot of that, but it was with Uncle Sam, called it misery training.
Now as I'm older, I know how to be miserable, I have been trained after all. We are not going to cruise like that, if I were to try, I'd suspect I'd be single handing before long, if we ever left the dock.
On one side, you have the Super Yacht crowd where you helicopter ashore so you don't get your evening wear wet, then of course step from the helicopter to the Limo, you haven't opened your own door in you don't remember when.
Then of course there is what your talking about, pretty much want most would consider deprivation.
I think there is a middle ground, one where you shower with soap and as much fresh water as you like so you go to bed clean and no salt on you.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 16:39   #40
cruiser

Please recall that "most" humans are very grateful to have easy access to any freshwater source, much less at the turn of an indoor tap.

Everything is relative.
Old 24-09-2017, 03:40   #41

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Sure, but... if the generator is already installed (as in OP's case apparently), it costs that same amount of amortization $$$ (over the ownership of a given boat) to NOT run it, too.

One of the guys in our owners club is also a generator tech; says he's got a customer with our model of genset that has almost 12K hours on it. Don't know how old it is... but that suggests we've got a good 10K hours to go... and we run ours often.

-Chris
Old 24-09-2017, 11:10   #42

Location: Wherever the boat lies, USA coasts, Keys, Bahamas & Islands
Boat: Island Spirit 40' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Originally Posted by Kenomac
It's only expensive (very) if you forget
You gonna carry 50 to 100 bottles from (several) stores to dock? You obviously haven't cruised the Bahamas.
Old 24-09-2017, 12:42   #43
cruiser

Wut? We were talking about topping up batteries ?
Old 24-09-2017, 13:17   #44

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
With regard to the watermaker, bear in mind that Bernard Moitessier sailed one and a half times around the world without one, and without ever docking. Fewer systems means fewer problems, but if you love gadgets and like working on them, that's fine.
Thats an old argument. Honestly ive been cruising with watermakers for 8 years, the time working on them is minimal, the convenience is unmeasurable, showers, cloths washing, even washing the boat down.

Technology is your friend, it makes life better. Embrase it and match your batteries and charging systems to suit.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 13:19   #45

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Just remember that lead acid batteries drink distilled water.
The more you discharge and charge them the more water they drink.
A non issue.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, solar, wind