Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2014, 17:57   #1

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY
32v Solar

Hello,

This is a weird one !!!

Situation is... I have an older Bertram that is still on 32v, thus two 32v banks. Each made from 4-8v LA batteries.

1 - I had a factory make one solar panel that has a Vm of 45.3v
2 - I have a Victron battery isolator
3 - On each out of the battery isolator, I installed a solar charge controller to each bank that has an Absorb setting of 38v, and a Float of 35.9v.

All is working well... Batteries always topped up !

The first thing that is puzzling me, is that the 32v banks are what is called a "Floating Ground". There is no direct ground to the bonding strip on engine rails etc.

BUT... The 32v alternators are grounded to the engines...

Here is where I am scratching my head... As I have a combiner box for the 24v bank, it has lightening suppression where I run a ground down, and ground it. If I were to install a combiner box with a second panel for the 32v system, it also has a lightening suppression unit inside... Would grounding in the same place as the 24v bank somehow effect the 12v or 24v systems.

I have spoke with several marine electricians, and like with all grounding issues. I receive several different answers. Bertram has yet to reply.

I am a real world person, and now I would like to see what real world users have to say on this matter.

Thanks,

Alan
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 00:18   #2

Re: 32v Solar

do your alts have a neg wire that runs to each bank then? are you sure they are grounded to the engine? some have a isolated ground. so the bolt doesn't matter. but you'd need a ground cable.

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve? if it's currently a floating ground and working why change it?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar