Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 04:49   #226

Boat: Leopard 38 Catamaran
Re: Love my Lagoon!

Little late to the post here! We were ready to purchase a 400 and after requesting info from surveyor (pre-survey) he asked if we knew about the bulkhead issue with the 400's. After some research and looking at pics, was wondering if the newer 400-S2 possibly has the same issue as the 400? Really like this boat and was ready to move forward, now taking a step back. Any comments from fellow 400 owner's appreciated!
louielouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:41   #227

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Little late to the post here! We were ready to purchase a 400 and after requesting info from surveyor (pre-survey) he asked if we knew about the bulkhead issue with the 400's. After some research and looking at pics, was wondering if the newer 400-S2 possibly has the same issue as the 400? Really like this boat and was ready to move forward, now taking a step back. Any comments from fellow 400 owner's appreciated!
I guess the S2 is just the same.

My main question is what is Lagoon going to do about it for owners of affected boats? Will they cover the cost of repair or just sit opn their ears and pretend they aren't bothered?
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 15:30   #228

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be any design or construction difference between the two models in this area. Of course, the S2s are younger, so any fresh water trapped in the nacelle area would not have been there for as long.

I don't think that this issue would be a deal breaker. The L400 is a great design and while some construction could have been better, it is still a very strong and durable boat. These abilities are well proven.

Knowing that the nacelle area is prone to water damage and rot, a competent surveyor should be easily able to determine if a particular vessel is effected. Water discolouration on the inside of the main bulkhead is easily seen. A moisture meter should readily determine if water ingress has occurred to the ply wood shelf under the water tanks. It may be the case that this particular vessel is dry in the nacelle area. Drilling drain holes, if not already done, should prevent future fresh water pooling and causing damage.

In a worst case scenario, the surveyor finds water damage in the nacelle area including parts of the main bulkhead. This is quite easily repaired. The front locker needs to be emptied, water tanks removed and then the rotten timber is cut out until only sound, dry material exists. The rebuilding of these structures should be of superior strength and rot resistance.

I've had shipwrights' opinions of this issue. Complete, professional repair quotes vary between AUD$5,000 - 8,000 and taking between 7 to 10 days. So, in the scheme of things, not a huge job.

I have claimed that Lagoon should cover the repair under hull warranty. We are still negotiating, but at the moment it seems that they are considering favourably. I'm not counting my chickens until the fat lady sings, to mix my metaphors. Will keep you posted.

So to recap; if you like the boat get it surveyed with special attention to this area. No damage, no problem. If damage is detected, the repair is fairly easy and can be negotiated between you, the owner and Lagoon. Either way don't let it stop you buying a L400.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 18:43   #229

Boat: Lagoon 400

Im with Tuskie
We have so far had no issue with Lagoon warranty they do stand by their product.
When we were looking at buying a Lagoon we saw some vessels getting complete new engines under warranty, after the owner was not happy with the electric motor propulsion system, we thought this was proof enough to trust Lagoon stands behind their product. So we brought one and have not looked back since.
The Lagoon 400 is a great boat for the money. I would not let this bulkhead issue put you off buying one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
There doesn't seem to be any design or construction difference between the two models in this area. Of course, the S2s are younger, so any fresh water trapped in the nacelle area would not have been there for as long.

I don't think that this issue would be a deal breaker. The L400 is a great design and while some construction could have been better, it is still a very strong and durable boat. These abilities are well proven.

Knowing that the nacelle area is prone to water damage and rot, a competent surveyor should be easily able to determine if a particular vessel is effected. Water discolouration on the inside of the main bulkhead is easily seen. A moisture meter should readily determine if water ingress has occurred to the ply wood shelf under the water tanks. It may be the case that this particular vessel is dry in the nacelle area. Drilling drain holes, if not already done, should prevent future fresh water pooling and causing damage.

In a worst case scenario, the surveyor finds water damage in the nacelle area including parts of the main bulkhead. This is quite easily repaired. The front locker needs to be emptied, water tanks removed and then the rotten timber is cut out until only sound, dry material exists. The rebuilding of these structures should be of superior strength and rot resistance.

I've had shipwrights' opinions of this issue. Complete, professional repair quotes vary between AUD$5,000 - 8,000 and taking between 7 to 10 days. So, in the scheme of things, not a huge job.

I have claimed that Lagoon should cover the repair under hull warranty. We are still negotiating, but at the moment it seems that they are considering favourably. I'm not counting my chickens until the fat lady sings, to mix my metaphors. Will keep you posted.

So to recap; if you like the boat get it surveyed with special attention to this area. No damage, no problem. If damage is detected, the repair is fairly easy and can be negotiated between you, the owner and Lagoon. Either way don't let it stop you buying a L400.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:10   #230

Apparently this particular 400 we were interested in had an "issue" common with the 400"s according to the listing broker. A
sked our broker to inquire further about what the "issue" might be, our broker assumed it was the bulkhead issue. We also asked our broker to inquire about what other big ticket items may have been upgraded/replaced being a boat coming out of charter. No response from the listing broker. Would any of you put in an offer on this boat not having this info? Felt a little pressure to do so. Opinions appreciated!
Old 04-06-2016, 17:15   #231

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Apparently this particular 400 we were interested in had an "issue" common with the 400"s according to the listing broker. A
sked our broker to inquire further about what the "issue" might be, our broker assumed it was the bulkhead issue. We also asked our broker to inquire about what other big ticket items may have been upgraded/replaced being a boat coming out of charter. No response from the listing broker. Would any of you put in an offer on this boat not having this info? Felt a little pressure to do so. Opinions appreciated!
assume boat has full blown nacelle issue = 8k
and has no upgrades

and submit appropriate offer, including subject to where you can specify wide conditions to walk away.

thats what i have done. although i did not know about nacelle back then. Turns out nacelle on my boat not big issue - no moisture penetration detected.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 18:13   #232

Arsenelupiga glad to here no problems on your end. Good advice to assume the worst when making the offer, thanks!
Old 05-06-2016, 03:41   #233

Quote:
I think that any seller or broker would be pretty stupid to tell you that the boat had "issues" but not tell what these issues were. How bizarre.

By the way, when you asked the same question on the "Multihulls" section of this forum you added a fairly pertinent fact:

"Have been looking specifically at the Lagoon 400 - really nice boat. The 400 we were interested in had an "issue" common with the 400"s but had been fixed according to the listing broker."

So, if the nacelle drainage/ water damage "issue" has been fixed, then by definition, it no longer exists. I'm sure the repair receipts and a pre purchase survey will easily confirm this.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:10   #234

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottster View Post
Hey Matt
Height is not a problem, the panels end inside the space of the roof.
You could cut the corner and smack your head but it would mean not taking the steps down and the natural flow is not near the panels.
Your left hand can reach so that's why I installed the hand hold.
These pictures should give a more realistic sense for the space.
If you require prints on the mount Rolf designed I have it and have forwarded to 2 others, it is a solid install.
Further the system is working very well, no more worries about power.
Attachment 125185Attachment 125186Attachment 125187

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hi Scottster,

I will take you up on your offer to share the drawings for the solar panel install. If you could PM them over it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 15:12   #235

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

Matt ,
Send me an email and I will forward said print
scottdoranssr@gmail.com
Cheers
Scott

Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:18   #236

Boat: lagoon 400s2

Me and my girl just purchased a 2014 Lagoon 400S2, and are planning a trip around the world with our two young boys. It's a dream come true, we still can't believe that we are actually living on our catamaran now ... it's like we'll wake up and we'll have to give it back !
We just joined this forum as well, so HELLO EVERYBODY !!!
jugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:19   #237

Boat: L42

Welcome! and Congrats! Great boat, keep us informed of your efforts.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:41   #238

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

Welcome, my 400S2 leaves for a 10 year planned trip in 2 weeks.
First stop San Fran for a month or so.
Then on the The Sea of Cortez.
There is a Vlog on YouTube but I cannot post it here because of rules
Boat name MUSKOKA
Cheers
Scott

Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:53   #239

Boat: Lagoon L39 Hull# 019

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your Lagoon.

Scottster - a good friend of mine, Jeff Carr, said he met you in Victoria a few weeks ago. Have a safe voyage. We are the owners of the L39 down in Seattle - MaZu.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:08   #240

Boat: Lagoon 400
Talking Re: Love my Lagoon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottster View Post
Welcome, my 400S2 leaves for a 10 year planned trip in 2 weeks.
First stop San Fran for a month or so.
Then on the The Sea of Cortez.
There is a Vlog on YouTube but I cannot post it here because of rules
Boat name MUSKOKA
Cheers
Scott

Bon voayge

Tags
lagoon