Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 13:47   #121

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Lagoon Escape Hatches Falling Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I think that marketing is indeed a big part of the issue. First to address the over blown fear of capsize and second to make it more asthetic. "Look honey, no worry about capsize, there is an escape hatch! And its a pretty picture window too!" [emoji849]
The whole implmentation is bogus anyway.

Example: on the L38 unless you are in the aft cabin the escape hatch is useless to you as there are a multitude of escape routes which are much closer. Same is true of other designs too (not just Lagoons) as they are all just in one compartment of the hull.

The aft end of the boat also carries the most weight and is most likely to be submerged anyway...making the escape hatch no more useful for escape than a regular deck hatch (in the case of the L38).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 00:10   #122

I think requirement for transparent hatch was so :
1. Lets light into inverted hull
2. Lets rescuers and crew who are already out see in (see story of Atlantic that pitch poled where the crew on the outside could see crew at the escape hatch - (note CW boats are custom built so no factory imperatives for a view here)
so inside hull is for example may be unconscious crew, a child, elderly etc etc.

I think we all like to be like James Bond and can hold our breath for the time required to navigate the fully submerged hatches to get out, then how do we extract every one else on the boat. When they design these things they they consider many more human aspects than the bullet proof amateur sailor. As noted previously it is about going back in to. Sure a dogged down metal hatch that has not corroded its hinges or dogs due to lack of maintenance in theory does all but let in light. We once had a custom cat that had a fiberglass panel escape hatch dogged down with 10 wing nuts. No way could I get two of them undone by hand when I looked at it one year.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 04:34   #123

Boat: Tartan 40

Yes but a hatch could be metal framed with smaller well attached and thick lens and dogged down- more like a submarine hatch- rather than cheap deck quality hatches which is ridiculous and illustrates price point construction.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 05:50   #124

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Yes but a hatch could be metal framed with smaller well attached and thick lens and dogged down- more like a submarine hatch- rather than cheap deck quality hatches which is ridiculous and illustrates price point construction.
Yes, better yet with a dead eye over the lens.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 07:19   #125

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

I have an FP not a Lagoon but have looked at the “fix” sent out for Lagoons and I’m not impressed. I think a frame that goes completely around the lens and is securely bolted (perhaps even thru bolted) to the hull is what it would take to make me feel comfortable. What is crazy is they sent $5 in parts which will take $1k to install with a haulout. The better solution probably costs $100 in parts although making 2 custom ones yourself is probably a lot more.

FP finally came to their senses and sent a directive to all boats with escape hatches to not sail until corrective action for the hatches was installed.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 07:25   #126

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

I have an FP not a Lagoon but have looked at the “fix” sent out for Lagoons and I’m not impressed. I think a frame that goes completely around the lens and is securely bolted (perhaps even thru bolted) to the hull is what it would take to make me feel comfortable. What is crazy is they sent $5 in parts which will take $1k to install with a haulout. The better solution probably costs $100 in parts although making 2 custom ones yourself is probably a lot more.

FP finally came to their senses and sent a directive to all boats with escape hatches to not sail until corrective action for the hatches was installed.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 20:15   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
I think requirement for transparent hatch was so :
1. Lets light into inverted hull
2. Lets rescuers and crew who are already out see in (see story of Atlantic that pitch poled where the crew on the outside could see crew at the escape hatch - (note CW boats are custom built so no factory imperatives for a view here)
so inside hull is for example may be unconscious crew, a child, elderly etc etc.

I think we all like to be like James Bond and can hold our breath for the time required to navigate the fully submerged hatches to get out, then how do we extract every one else on the boat. When they design these things they they consider many more human aspects than the bullet proof amateur sailor. As noted previously it is about going back in to. Sure a dogged down metal hatch that has not corroded its hinges or dogs due to lack of maintenance in theory does all but let in light. We once had a custom cat that had a fiberglass panel escape hatch dogged down with 10 wing nuts. No way could I get two of them undone by hand when I looked at it one year.
Required by French law.
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 20:35   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post
Required by French law.
I have looked very hard, and while I can find several requirements in various EU regulations that all multihulls above 12M in length built after 2003 have escape hatches fitted, I can find NO requirement that such hatches be transparent.

For those posters who have said that is the rule, can you supply a reference?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 00:33   #129

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I have looked very hard, and while I can find several requirements in various EU regulations that all multihulls above 12M in length built after 2003 have escape hatches fitted, I can find NO requirement that such hatches be transparent.

For those posters who have said that is the rule, can you supply a reference?

Maybe not in any regulation but it sure would be nice to have some light in the hull if you’re upside down. During the day of course. Without a transparent hatch it will be very dark in there.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 04:09   #130

for interest see page 2 section 3.06.3 and onwards
https://www.rmys.com.au/wp-content/u...-Multihull.pdf
Old 14-03-2020, 19:28   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
for interest see page 2 section 3.06.3 and onwards
https://www.rmys.com.au/wp-content/u...-Multihull.pdf
I see that, but those are racing committee rules, not formal legal requirements, and there is nothing there about needing to have see-through escape hatches.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 22:15   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Maybe not in any regulation but it sure would be nice to have some light in the hull if you’re upside down. During the day of course. Without a transparent hatch it will be very dark in there.
Yes, I think it is so obvious as to go without saying. Whether that aspect of the hatch is codified in law or not, I don't know, but I have read that the are required by law to be installed.
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 17:46   #133

https://youtu.be/taP5IOlhIBw

They discuss leaking hatches right at the beginning. IMO, i would glass it in and take my chances swimming out.
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 19:49   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
https://youtu.be/taP5IOlhIBw

They discuss leaking hatches right at the beginning. IMO, i would glass it in and take my chances swimming out.

Yes there might be a 50:50 chance you personally get out, what about the kids down below and grandma now with a dislocated shoulder, and the mum who is concussed - yes you "might" be fine. Hatches were not designed for Tarzan, they were designed for everyone else because the designers and the rule makers generally think past the first obvious answer, that is Tarzan is the only person on board. When you come to sell your boat with its glassed in hatches you will have cut your interested buyers by 80% or more.
Old 05-08-2020, 20:27   #135

Boat: Lagoon 440 & Beneteau Oceanis 350

I believe EU required catamaran hull to equip with escape hatches. Removing the escape hatches could disqualify the cat from EU buyers or Be operated commercially in EU water.
JamesPNW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape hatches, hatch, lagoon