Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 15:36   #541

Sorry to read that the owners have gone elsewhere. I imagine you all were tired of a lot of the negativity and second-guessing thrown your way.I hope you all realize that many of us who havent posted on this thread have read it with excitement (and, I'm sure, a bit of envy).

I, for one, see the electric boats as the future, and plan on getting one as soon as my finances allow. So I'll gladly read anything you owners care to write. Kudos to you on your choice and I hope you all enjoy your boats!!!
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 16:51   #542
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
As one of the future owners, I really don't think there was all that much negativity. Skepticism, yes. However, given the general attitude of sailors about "new stuff" and the fact that, for a sailboat, this definitely qualifies as "new stuff", perhaps that skepticism is to be expected.

To whet your appetite, though, the 420 that was in Miami did arrive in California, about three weeks ago, at the San Diego dealer. Yes, it was delayed by a series of fronts with high winds on the nose and some crew problems. It had to motor much of the way up the Mexican coast.

The good news is that it went the 6000 nm without a breakdown and arrived in San Diego with no significant breakage, of any sort. It will actually be in an open house at Southwestern Yachts on May 12.

Another boat has sailed from France and arrived in the BVI, I believe. Again, with no problem. A third boat is due to arrive in Tortula, any day. Latest word is that, again, no problems and that boat has performed beautifully.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 18:27   #543

Boat: Lagoon 420
Things are progressing. I now own #20 - Dignity. As at time of writing, Dignity is still in France. The sea trials have gone well. The captain and crew are aboard and she's about to set sail for the BVIs.

My family and I are all very excited about our 3 week trip to the BVIs towards the end of June.

I am posting news on my website and will provide an update to the crew listening in here from time to time.
Old 08-05-2007, 19:06   #544

Boat: 40 Beneteau CC
Send a message via ICQ to sail2wind
Congrats Steve, see you in Tortola in June. We are having our crew dinner at my house Friday night, Jerk Chicken, Painkillers, you know, got to get the party going early.
sail2wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:54   #545

Have a good one. Grind some nutmeg and down a few for me.
Old 14-05-2007, 11:38   #546

The weather gods are not being too kind. Dignity is still stuck in France with captain and crew poised. It's given me reason to look around for weather resources and I found this : Marine Weather : Weather Underground

Quite interesting I think. Really shows how much fun the southern ocean is.
Old 14-05-2007, 12:19   #547

MarthaR

I would like to find out where the MarthaR is now. Doug is in Tortola, so i might call TMM.
Old 22-05-2007, 22:35   #548

"Regulars" ....Heading for the BVI 1st week June 07

We will be boarding the Martha R around 6/7/07 for a ten night trip in the BVI with 6 guests. Can't wait!
Yes, we have "reservations" but no expectations. Whatever happens will be part of the adventure.

Looking forward to our charter aboard the "green machine."

Will let you know how it goes.

Cap'n Bena will be writing a review to be published in Latitude 38.

No matter what happens, a good time will be had by all.

paula (crew, wife. galley slave, dinghy cap'n. etc)
paulakent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2007, 22:54   #549

Hey

Are you keeping up with the progress of the Martha R? We board the 18th for 11 days. We are very excited, there will be 7 of us. Keep in touch. Are you going to have a laptop on board or be visiting any internet cafes? If so let us know how it goes. Evan
Old 23-05-2007, 21:07   #550

Martha R

We heard from TMM HDQ. today that weather has been bad in the "big pond" coming from France, and the Martha R is slogging her way over to the BVI at 6 knots..................she's just past the Canaries. Seems they expect the winds to pick up now and that there is a 90% chance she will arrive for our boarding on 6/7/07............They (TMM) will substitute another vessel for the time being until she is ready.
Hey, it is all part of the adventure! It could be that she will be late for our arrival to board her..................but then again, maybe (k)not. We will be in touch with Tim (TMM) on Tuesday a.m. after memorial day for an update. At any rate, she will be available for you, for sure.

paula
Old 23-05-2007, 21:12   #551

Martha R

We heard from TMM HDQ. today that weather has been bad in the "big pond" coming from France, and the Martha R is slogging her way over to the BVI at 6 knots..................she's just past the Canaries. Seems they expect the winds to pick up now and that there is a 90% chance she will arrive for our boarding on 6/7/07............They (TMM) will substitute another vessel for the time being until she is ready.
Hey, it is all part of the adventure! It could be that she will be late for our arrival to board her..................but then again, maybe (k)not. We will be in touch with Tim (TMM) on Tuesday a.m. after memorial day for an update. At any rate, she will be available for you, for sure.

paula
Old 23-05-2007, 21:16   #552

By the way, I expect someone aboard will have a laptop. I cannot promise, but it sounds like it will happen. I'll have to memorize the website. My guests do not know of the possible glitch (non-arrival of Martha R) Do not want to tell them until the day before.
Stay in touch.

Personal email

marthaR@moneylady.com
Old 24-05-2007, 15:58   #553

how much input do you have??

I'm wondering... when you order one of these boats how much input do you have? Can you for examples chose engine and gearbox or nowadays saildrive??? What is the standard engine and saildrive for the new 420??
i'm most interested in the saildrives because some models are a lot more trouble than others
lovinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 16:01   #554

No saildrive - no choice that I know of. 10kW Leroy Summer motors, direct shaft out to large prop.
Old 24-05-2007, 22:04   #555

Boat: Lagoon 380
I was pretty amazed at the torque in the drive system. It seems very powerful.

Looking at the way the motor is mounted and shaft runs, there is no chance for a saildrive as far as I could tell.
swarren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420