Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 17:48   #271

Boat: Lagoon 400, HanaFe
Impi,
yes it is definetly fading off into green color. It started already a couple of months after we got the boat. We have to polish it weekly to keep it to a more or less acceptable level of shiny silver. In general all the stainless steel needs a lot of more polishing and attention than on my former boat (Bavaria)

Winches: The dealer informed me that he got the information about the repair kit, but it would be only the outside plastic ring and it is from their sold hull no. 38 onwards.

One of my battery chargers broke down. The dealer says it needs to be replaced and quoted around 800,- US Dollar. Has anyone experience on that? A charger should be able to be repaired?
Cheers
HanaFe
hanafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 17:28   #272

Boat: FP Elba 45
Hello Bman, I had the freezer replaced with a second fridge, as advised there was an error in the order, just checked with the chap that fitted it he said there was no drain pipe, but he did say that if you look inside the fridge there are little caps covering screws, these screws screw into the side of the cabinet and the floor to hold the fridge in place, he felt that if the screws are not sealed water may leak through those, now he is going from memory. But should there be a drain pipe? my fridge at home does not have one?? I have only had the L400 for a few weeks so It's early days for me at the minute, as I'm still trying to get on top of all the other systems but will certainly look out for water on the floor.
Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 18:42   #273

Boat: Lagoon 400 Amritha
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
Hello Bman, I had the freezer replaced with a second fridge, as advised there was an error in the order, just checked with the chap that fitted it he said there was no drain pipe, but he did say that if you look inside the fridge there are little caps covering screws, these screws screw into the side of the cabinet and the floor to hold the fridge in place, he felt that if the screws are not sealed water may leak through those, now he is going from memory. But should there be a drain pipe? my fridge at home does not have one?? I have only had the L400 for a few weeks so It's early days for me at the minute, as I'm still trying to get on top of all the other systems but will certainly look out for water on the floor.
Regards Peter
Hello Peter

I will call the boat service guys (I am a 3 hour car drive and then a 1.5 hour plane trip away so a maintenance crew is a necessity unfortunately) to check to see if the fridge and freezer on my boat have the caps. If they do it will make things a lot easier as the the alternative appears to be tearing apart the cabinet. A drain pipe for the fridge presumably would only be necessary if you pull the drain plug on the appliance when you defrost. Given that there is not a drain I will be fixing the plugs permanently in place. The water problem however comes from condensation as near as I can tell. The condensation as no where to go and hence pools at the cabinet base. If the condensation can not be eliminated then a method of collecting and draining the water will be needed.

Regards
Bruce
bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 18:43   #274

Hello Hanafe

I had an auxillary batter warning (beeping and flashing). Is this the same problem that you had?

Bruce
Old 12-10-2010, 19:19   #275

Lagoon 400 fuel query

To BMAN, HANAFE, GAROLD, and any other Lagoon 400 owners. I have a dilemma that you may be able to help with based on your experience, only done about 20 odd hours so far on my Yanmar 40 hp, as you know I only took possession a few weeks ago, the fuel tank on the port side is indicating full on the gage and I confirmed same by a visual inspection, the fuel tank on the starboard side is about ¾ full as confirmed by a visual inspection, I am concerned that no fuel is coming from the port side, the valves on top of both tanks are on, I cannot see a selector that may direct feed from one or the other and there is no mention of this in the owner’s manual, my assumption is that the fuel should feed from both tanks but I simply do not know, is it possible more fuel needs to come from the starboard side before fuel is used from the port side, I would doubt that, or when and if the starboard side runs out does the fuel start feeding from the Port side, or possibly pumps from the port side to the ‘main’ starboard side, I doubt that too. My question to you is have you experienced the same, or does the fuel drain from both tanks fairly evenly, do you know if and where there is a valve other than on top of the tank that can turn off the fuel supply from one tank? Thanks in advance. Peter
Old 12-10-2010, 19:26   #276

Boat: Hunter 50 CC
Peter,

Have you used your generator at all yet? It has a push/pull valve to the right of the generator housing to switch between the two tanks. I'm pretty sure that the engines only draw from the tank on their perspective sides.

Cheers,
Lucky Larry
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 19:37   #277

Hello Larry, I have used the generator simply to test it, I am aware of the push pull valve, in my owners manuel pulled is the port supply, I am sure it has been in the pulled position (feed from port side) from new but my port tank is the one that is staying full, in any event I would have thought the push pull would only effected the gen set. Regards Peter
Old 12-10-2010, 19:39   #278

Hi Peter

I believe that Lucky Larry if correct, that there is a dedicted tank for each engine. I would think that if I were doing any serious long distance cruising I would add a bypass so that in the event of engine failure or problems that I could use fuel from both tanks.

Bruce
Old 12-10-2010, 19:53   #279

Hello Bruce, I am away from my 400 at the minute so I can't check until the weekend, but I wonder do we have a trip tray in the bottom of the fridge? I'm not sure...........Regards Peter
Old 12-10-2010, 19:59   #280

Hi Peter

Trip Tray?? what's that?

Bruce
Old 12-10-2010, 20:06   #281

Hello Bruce, yes we have a 200 litre tank in each side, and you are dead right we should have a fuel selector a essentel tool for fuel managment in my view and as you pointed out if one engine dies one can use all the fuel in both tanks, on my Cessna I can choose to have the fuel selector on left or right or both, very simple. Regards Peter
Old 12-10-2010, 20:08   #282

Sorry Bruce, typo, meant to say drip tray, a tray that slides from the bottom of the fridge. Regards Peter
Old 12-10-2010, 20:31   #283

Peter there is not a drip tray on the bottom of the fridge. Being one of the worst typo offenders you would think I would be better able to figure out the missing letters.
Regards Bruce
Old 12-10-2010, 22:44   #284

Boat: Lagoon 400, HanaFe
Bman,
this auxilliary alarm is exactly the one we had before and had to be repaired. It was a corossion problem.
The new alarm was different and did turn out as not a false alarm as the battery charger is defect and is not charging the full load.

Peter, Lucky Larry,
Unlikley I have a lot of experience with the full tanks. The lever to switch between tanks is only for the supply to the generator. For the engines the tanks are separated and there is no valve or lever to distribute the diesel between the two tanks. We made this experience on our way back from the Phillipinnes when one engine stopped working and we were worried how to use the diesel of the other tank. At the end of the day we found the engine problem which was a fuel problem at the end. The engine could not suck the fuel from the tank. We got this sorted out and had both engines back.
For long cruise it is definetly worth to have a connection between the two tanks.
In the moment you just can re-fill the tanks to get them balanced. When we use the generator we watch carefully how many hours we do on what side.

A note for all L 400 guys. I good friend of mine just took over his L 400 last weekend and is currently sailing down from Les Sable to the Med. He just reported to me a max speed of 19.4 knts !! in a surf in perfect sailing conditions.
I guess when sailing with a couple of guys, one is more brave to leave more sail up than when sailing with the wife.
Cheers
HanaFe
hanafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 23:26   #285

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Hi Peter

It is strange that with 40hrs there is only diesel being used from one tank. If there is not a selector I wonder if they have not got the piping wrong. With the generator you would need to be able to transfer fuel from the one tank to the generator tank as that one is likely to empty earlier. Is there not a detailed diagram in the owners manual. A fuel transfer ability between tanks is also important if you lose one engine, then at least you can transfer fuel to the good engine tank. My transfer system doubles as a fuel polishing system as well with a decontaminent filter and a filter/ water separator. The pick up is at the very bottom of the tank so I can ensure any water or sediment is removed. I can cycle fuel through the system back to the same tank, or from port to starboard and vice versa. I have posted a picture somewhere of it before but cannot find it. I can take another one if you like.

How are you enjoying the boat, have you done much sailing?

Cheers
Paul
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400