Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2010, 17:33   #1

Question Lagoon 380 Hull Extensions ?

So after many months of searching for the 'perfect' boat, (having already thought i'd found it in a beautiful trimaran that i was later told by the boss was far too spartan for her tastes), we're trying to find a happy medium that'll get me out on the water in something bluewater capable for me, comfortable for her. My question: she's been quite taken by the lagoon 380 and im not looking to open a debate on the practicality of it as an ocean crossing liveaboard, as that matter has been covered in great detail already, but rather that when chatting with an old salt recently who'd done some serious miles in one, he put forth idea of possibly extending the hull transoms by say perhaps 2 feet, much the same as what what manta and more specifically the seawinds models had done. Would this not increase the load carrying capabilities, motion and overall speed? Would it be worthwhile?
fyodor1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 18:36   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
The Lagoon 380 has quite beamy and buoyant transoms as is. I've never seen one dragging its tail - even fully loaded ones. Most of the ones I see are bow heavy.

I don't think you will see a noticeable speed increase with extensions on that boat. If you want a better motion (less hobby horsing), I think it needs more bow length. It has a lot of load carrying capacity in the sterns as is - what are you planning to load on the stern? The engines are already there and the davits can't handle a very large dinghy.

The Manta and Seawind are much different and narrower hull designs - particularly in the stern. They benefit more than the lagoon from extensions.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 19:22   #3

Thanks Mark - Well i'm a right into my scuba diving and am considering turning the port aft stateroom into an area where i can store my tanks, compressor and hookah as well. I'm showing how green i am when it comes to significant modifications as this. Bow extensions - How realisitic is this as i havent heard of it before, and again if so, what sort of benefits would you see? Am i wrong in thinking that it would be a far more extensive and expensive undertaking?
fyodor1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:31   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I would be cautious about modifying the stern or the bows, as it may significantly decrease the value of the boat when it comes time to sell.

If the Lagoon 38 isn't satisfactory as is, I would find a different catamaran that was satisfactory without major hull modifications.

I know of a 48 foot catamaran that had a 3 foot extension put on each stern, plus a platform across the back, and it cost upwards of $100,000 because they didn't do the work themselves.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 05:41   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor1564 View Post
Bow extensions - How realisitic is this as i havent heard of it before, and again if so, what sort of benefits would you see? Am i wrong in thinking that it would be a far more extensive and expensive undertaking?
Yes, extending the bows is far more extensive work. I wasn't suggesting you do so - just pointing out that that is where you might get the most benefit.

Extending catamaran sterns is easier (to an extent) because you can just extend the hull form back and it will fair easily into the original lines. The bow is already extended to the maximum by design (a point). Extending it will require modifying the hull a long way back from the bow.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 07:02   #6

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
a guy i know has a PDQ 36 that he had 3' added to the back of, i know it wasnt cheap ~ 8k, but he loves it and everything it has done for the boat, they provide a nice little swim step, and the lift the stern in a quartering sea and it seems to prevent the waves from breaking on the transom... just the other side of the coin...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 07:34   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See ➥ How To Lengthen the Hulls on your Cruising Catamaran

"But what...is it good for?"
- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 13:49   #8

Boat: Image 7.85m
Re: Lagoon 380 Hull Extensions ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
a guy i know has a PDQ 36 that he had 3' added to the back of, i know it wasnt cheap ~ 8k, but he loves it and everything it has done for the boat, they provide a nice little swim step, and the lift the stern in a quartering sea and it seems to prevent the waves from breaking on the transom... just the other side of the coin...

I have seen a few mono hull power boats lengthen the stern without moving the prop and rudder and the boats lost steering in a following sea. felt to me like the waves hitting the stern were steering the boat and the rudder 3 feet forward just wasn't as effective. The boat could not stay on course. Not sure if this same effect would happen on a catamaran with the narrower hulls? Joe
Joe Burke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, lagoon, lagoon 380