Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 23:14   #811

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
Hey Dave. Thanks for the information and thanks to Haley for the videos. Did you consider going for an induction cook top?

Our pleasure. We have an induction hob in our apartment and neither of us enjoy cooking on it so we new we wanted gas.
Old 17-02-2019, 23:51   #812

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I understand this, the admiral is exactly the opposite, we had always electrical hobs, resistive iron hot plates, infrared ceran fields, and finally induction. We also had propane in the RV and on board of our cat and some experience with residential gas kitchen in our family.

To make it short, she does not like gas - neither the hobs nor the ovens - especially the camping gear used on board, so we go the electric residential style.

What we like about it: no propane bottle refill hustle, cold and easy to clean, very adjustable heat, individual timers, larger surface / volume etc. The pots and pans stick on top in rough seas when using the silicon mats and also the galley stays cool when cooking. It just feels like home.
Old 19-02-2019, 23:24   #813

Here’s our new sofa install. We’re so happy with it that I can’t stay awake in the evenings with the TV on.
We had the salon table made smaller by a local carpenter as we both felt the original table was too large and mostly eat outside anyway. It’s still large enough for 4 to dine in on cold winter nights but small enough to not dominate the room.
I had a second arm rest fabricated for the opposite end of the sofa and cut off the leather cover fitted on the original one.
Also, our storage pouffe which has all our pilot books in was covered in the same fabric.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	186274Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0907.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	186275Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0909.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	186276Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0917.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	186277Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	186278
Old 20-02-2019, 05:13   #814

Boat: Lagoon 450F

hey Dave,
cosy setup.
we are in Torrevieja and were also considering to change the cussions in the saloon.
can you give the name of the company that did this?
thx
Amberina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 06:10   #815

Sure, I’ll happily promote them. Casa Angel in Cartagena. Ask for Angel, he’s the owner.
Old 20-02-2019, 06:12   #816

Boat: Lagoon 450F

thx dave
Amberina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 06:26   #817

Boat: L42

What a great result, this was certainly one of the things that I would consider essential. I will definitely be doing this!

Thanks for posting it.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:46   #818

It all looks very good Dave. I was wondering if you had considered an induction cooktop as opposed to gas? And if so, your decision making process to continue with gas.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:52   #819

Just signed on a new 450s!

It all looks very good Dave. I was wondering if you had considered an induction cooktop as opposed to gas? And if so, could you please share your decision making process to continue with gas. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2019, 20:08   #820

Quote:
It all looks very good Dave. I was wondering if you had considered an induction cooktop as opposed to gas? And if so, could you please share your decision making process to continue with gas. Thanks.

Our main decision with not going induction was that we don’t like cooking on it. I’m fully aware of the benefits on safety, cleaning etc but I don’t like to be dependent on electricity for everything on the boat. We’ve got induction in our land life and it sucks to cook on, doesn’t like 3 pans on full at the same time, hard to control the temp but with gas, you can see the flame is on simmer.

I also think we’d use a lot of power with an induction top and elec oven. We often slow roast meat on a low temp and spend an hour with the rings on the top on. We’re finding that the new oven and top is so much more adjustable and efficient that I’m certain we’ll use less gas. The oven is fan assisted (220v) which means everything is cooked to an even temp, potato wedges are fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside which we couldn’t do before.

We are power hungry in other areas on the boat and as we don’t have a huge lithium bank I didn’t want to add to it. We can quite easily use our available 400ah each day and having to run the generator to cook isn’t not something I’d be keen on.

There’s also times / places where turning off the electricity is a good idea, for eg, during lightning storms although this didn’t really factor into the decision it is worth considering if you’re in Florida, South Pacific, Asia where storms are common.

Lastly, we’re in the Med for a couple of years now and getting gas really isn’t a problem. We’ve got 2 of the plastic 6kg bottles of butane and I paid €15 for an exchange bottle the other day which will last a couple of months.

Lastly, cost. You can get a gas top and oven for €500 and I’ve sold the top for €100 with the oven still for sale at €100 so it’s a no brainer job imo.

I hope that answers a few questions, I’m not saying gas is right for everyone but it suits us.
Old 04-03-2019, 21:41   #821

Boat: 450S

You won over Jen on the potato wedges....just ordered an new oven, thanks
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:35   #822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascals Wager View Post
You won over Jen on the potato wedges....just ordered an new oven, thanks

Hayley’s paprika sweet potato wedges would win anyone over... you’d be helpless.

In other news, I’m trying my best to sell the old ENO oven and everyone that comes to view it, Hayley shows off her new oven to! Bang head!
Old 05-03-2019, 17:56   #823

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Our main decision with not going induction was that we don’t like cooking on it. I’m fully aware of the benefits on safety, cleaning etc but I don’t like to be dependent on electricity for everything on the boat. We’ve got induction in our land life and it sucks to cook on, doesn’t like 3 pans on full at the same time, hard to control the temp but with gas, you can see the flame is on simmer.

I also think we’d use a lot of power with an induction top and elec oven. We often slow roast meat on a low temp and spend an hour with the rings on the top on. We’re finding that the new oven and top is so much more adjustable and efficient that I’m certain we’ll use less gas. The oven is fan assisted (220v) which means everything is cooked to an even temp, potato wedges are fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside which we couldn’t do before.

We are power hungry in other areas on the boat and as we don’t have a huge lithium bank I didn’t want to add to it. We can quite easily use our available 400ah each day and having to run the generator to cook isn’t not something I’d be keen on.

There’s also times / places where turning off the electricity is a good idea, for eg, during lightning storms although this didn’t really factor into the decision it is worth considering if you’re in Florida, South Pacific, Asia where storms are common.

Lastly, we’re in the Med for a couple of years now and getting gas really isn’t a problem. We’ve got 2 of the plastic 6kg bottles of butane and I paid €15 for an exchange bottle the other day which will last a couple of months.

Lastly, cost. You can get a gas top and oven for €500 and I’ve sold the top for €100 with the oven still for sale at €100 so it’s a no brainer job imo.

I hope that answers a few questions, I’m not saying gas is right for everyone but it suits us.

Thanks for the information. Sorry about the multiple posts. I am posting from my phone and it doesn’t seem to like the app Cruisers Forum uses for some reason
Old 05-03-2019, 18:02   #824
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Sorry about the multiple posts. I am posting from my phone and it doesn’t seem to like the app Cruisers Forum uses for some reason
Do what I do..
Dont use the App.. my phone hates it to..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 16:58   #825

Hi Dave,

looking back in your hose diameter question, i was wondering whether it was linked to some water purification system improvement ...

So to complete the "everything about L450s" improvement, what did you instal as far as drinking water (I dont think it is in the 50+ pages here):
- seagull IV system
- LED-UV light acuva-type system
- cheaper & more DIY but excellent as Pentek (158203 or similar housing), the 0.5 micron carbon block cartridge (CBC-5 carbon .5um system) - but 1/2inch so not perfect 12mm fitting, unless there is a europe equivalent.
- other Dodsoncreative,inc system ?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
They are Whale fittings. 12mm
A search of plumbing fittings for motor homes will find them.Attachment 180958
c-reel is offline   Reply With Quote