Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2018, 22:53   #616

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Just signed on a new 450s!

On each support it has max 250kg. However I think in a previous discussion that meant max 250kg, not total 500kg. My Lagoon 450F came with a Highfield Ocean Master 350 with 20hp. I expect that a slightly bigger one can be fitted in but it is quite tight now when lifting without banging the motor. Also the winch and particularly the jaws strain a lot with the weight I have which I think is around 150kg.

The Highfield is a very good dinghy. I like the dry floor and the small looker at the bow is very useful. I can plane with 2 men (not big), 2 woman.
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 23:42   #617

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Our biggest regret is the 15hp. It wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding!
We’ve got the 3.4m and can plane with 2 adults or 3 small adults but no shopping, dive gear, luggage etc.
The transom states 20hp max but I’d love to hear of anyone that’s put a 25 on there?
Regarding weight, I’ve met a few boat owners with bent davits due to solar panel weight combined with the dinghy inc center consol.
Old 06-04-2018, 00:19   #618

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry Zondag View Post
If I could enter a query into this electrical debate please.

It is about capacity of the davits and has been discussed elsewhere, but I can't find it again. We're now close to getting our boat (450F in July), and decided to get a slightly larger dinghy (Highfield 360 or 380 with 30HP). According to what I remember from the previous threads that size of 3.8 mtr should still fit and the total weight will be about 180 Kg. Our agent is now saying that Lagoon will not guarantee its davits for any other dinghy than their Highfield 340 option with 20HP engine, which would weigh about 140 Kg. I can't find anything about this in the specs that I have, but would guess there is some maximum load sticker on the davits somewhere. Would anyone care to have a look, or provide their views please, also about the space for a 3.8 mtr dinghy.
From the Lagoon 450F Manual
"WARNING
The davits are designed to support a maximum load of
250 kg and a tender of 3,80 meters in length at maximum."
However I would humbly suggest 30HP is overkill for a 360 or 380, we have a Highfield 380 with a Suzuki 20HP electric start and FCT console on it, and it goes just fine. Though need to be careful when lowering as it tends to bump between the hulls. We have a fender rigged to stop the motor hitting the sugar scoop on the engine end.

Otherwise, works fine !.

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:20   #619

Thanks folks, that is exactly the information I was after. Think we will go for the 360 and 25 hp.
Berry Zondag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:26   #620

Boat: 450S

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180406_162447.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	167679
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 13:34   #621

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Our biggest regret is the 15hp. It wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding!
We’ve got the 3.4m and can plane with 2 adults or 3 small adults but no shopping, dive gear, luggage etc.
The transom states 20hp max but I’d love to hear of anyone that’s put a 25 on there?
Regarding weight, I’ve met a few boat owners with bent davits due to solar panel weight combined with the dinghy inc center consol.
You could buy a finer pitch propeller, this will increase planing performance at the expense of top end speed, you would then have a spare prop. Also hyrdra fins attached to the cavitation plate can make a big difference.

Check your insurer for putting oversize engine on the dinghy.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 11:56   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
You could buy a finer pitch propeller, this will increase planing performance at the expense of top end speed, you would then have a spare prop. Also hyrdra fins attached to the cavitation plate can make a big difference.

Check your insurer for putting oversize engine on the dinghy.
Cheers Steve,
hope you guys are well. A new prop has actually been on the list since I hit a rock in Sardinia!
I'll get the fins too.
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 23:37   #623

Hi guys,

Here's a heads up. I wanted to say thank you for all the help we've received on this forum and I couldn't think of a better way to do it than offer to take you sailing...

Here's the rub, it's across the Atlantic Ocean!

I'll post the full details later today but I've got to nip down to the seabed for the next 8 hours... back in a bit
Old 30-04-2018, 08:31   #624

So, I'm back from my honest days work so here's the details. I'm posting this here first to give those that helped so much before we launched the boat and Lagoon cat enthusiast that follow here get a chance to do some proper sailing.

Trip details:
Miami to Azores with contingency stop in Bermuda.
17 days.
Departing May 30th 2018.
Min cert requirement of RYA dayskipper or ASA 104.
Experience offshore required.
Sailing CV required.
Travel at own expense (sorry).
Provisioning costs to be shared.
Fuel at my expense.

A bit about us: If you don't already know, Hayley and I launched our new 450S last June and have sailed Italy, France, Spain and all the islands in between before heading to the Canaries to join the ARC and cross the pond in November. Since arriving in the Caribbean, Hayley and I have made our way South to Grenada, then North and West and currently Susan Ann II is in a very nice marina 25 mins North of Miami. 9 months and 9,000nm of utterly amazing experiences!

Hayley is currently getting the boat ready for the crossing but as you'd expect SAII is in very good shape already and i'm on the seabed somewhere off Africa trying to sort our finances out after not working for 9 months!

Anyone interested can contact me on here or email thedaleyadventure@gmail.com which both Hayley and myself can access.

I'll post this same ad elsewhere in 24 hours so if anyone is keen then please get in touch asap.

All the best guys, Dave
Old 30-04-2018, 12:01   #625

Boat: Seaquest46

Sounds like a great opportunity! Wish I was able to take a month off to join you guys on the trip. Unfortunately Emirates has other plans for me...
Ratel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:46   #626

Well guys,
I thought maybe an update is due... I've been off Susan Ann II for a month now and HATE it! I have just been sent a photo of Hayley scrubbing the top deck in a bikini with a stunning blue Miami sky in the back ground and it just isn't fair! I on the other hand, am at work, currently 200m down on the seabed off the Northern coast of Africa!

Anyway, planning is going well for our return to Europe. There's lots to get done so I'm keeping Hayley busy every day with a never ending boat list.

Oh, just one more thing, the reason we are Europe bound.... We've a new crew member joining us!
Old 13-05-2018, 07:09   #627

Bigger water tanks on a 450

Hi everyone! This post is a bit off topic but it seems like I cant start a new thread so I had no choice.

I am buying myself a Lagoon 450 and I am trying to figure out whats the best way to upgrade the water tanks. I really dont like the ratio 1000 liter of fuel and around 500 liter of water- it just doesnt make sense.

Is there anyone that have a great solution for getting at least 700 liter of water onboard?

Is there space where the current water tanks are mounted? ideas?

//Daniel
sbaydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 08:54   #628

Re: Bigger water tanks on a 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaydreamer View Post
Hi everyone! This post is a bit off topic but it seems like I cant start a new thread so I had no choice.

I am buying myself a Lagoon 450 and I am trying to figure out whats the best way to upgrade the water tanks. I really dont like the ratio 1000 liter of fuel and around 500 liter of water- it just doesnt make sense.

Is there anyone that have a great solution for getting at least 700 liter of water onboard?

//Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Our water tanks are 700 litres. 175 l per tank, 2 tanks per side.
There is space in both hulls for more water tanks but we have our water maker in the stbd side midships space.

We also store an extra 200 litres in the port side locker under the seating area for crossings. You could fit a tank in this space too, it's huge.

Having 1000 litres of fuel is great by the way!

hope this helps
Old 13-05-2018, 09:01   #629

Boat: Lagoon 450f

Quote:

//Daniel
Daniel

If you specify the watermaker you lose the port - aft tank so reduce the capacity to 525ltr but imho you do not need to worry if you have he desalination option.

We make > 100lts per hour easily and outside of the marina it’s the plan A for water... it wants to be used regularly and outside of the big flappy thing on top of our boat it’s the most affecting difference, having come across from motor boats...

I’d spec the watermaker, see how you get on for a few months and then think about a bladder in the fwd cockpit should you need one.
All imho of course.
slimnrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 03:12   #630

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:

//Daniel
700 Liters is standard on a 450F with all 4 tanks installed. - each pair in a hull are connected by a common pipe, created creates two effective tanks of 350L each.

Then add an after-market watermaker, and you're set.
- Don't get the one from factory, as you loose one of the tanks, and there are better places to put it.

We have desalator-Duo 60 under the floor in Pt-fwd cabin. Runs just fine off the Solar we have.

I see no need for any more water than this, just keep them toped up with the water-maker. We tend to not let any tank drop below 1/2.

Regards

Mark
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote