Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 23:05   #1

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Install 2 Water Heaters?

I am trying to determine whether I should implement a second water heater on my Lagoon 400 and how it should be done. I am looking for members with relevant experience or with opinions.

As part of the standard equipment the boat came with a Quick Boiler B3 water heater. This provides hot water when the starboard engine has been used or when connected to shore power. It works fine and we have had lots of hot showers.

As an extra I had a Combi D6 diesel heater installed. This is designed to be both an air heater and a water heater with its own tank. Only the air heating function was installed and it works fine. We survived winter in La Rochelle with a sufficiently warm saloon. The French technician advised against installing the water heating function. He thought I would be disappointed. Unfortunately I was never able to find out why he believed this.

We do not have a genset and I would like to continue this way.
So far we have been at marinas with shore power and most of the water heating has been from the shore power. This is about to change to spending a lot more time at anchor. So I am reconsidering how we will get hot water. Shore power will no longer be available and I would like to avoid starting the engine just to make hot water. I am considering installing the hot water function of the Combi D6 diesel heater. This leads to my questions:

1. 1. Should I install the water heating function on the Combi D6?

Does anyone have experience with this in a marine environment? I note that the unit was originally built for the RV market. Particularly has anyone installed it as a second heater? Does anyone know why my French installation technician might have had reservations about its performance as a water heater?

2. 2. How should the installation be done?

It is not a straight procedure from the installation instructions. There needs to be consideration the installation of the existing Quick water heater. There needs to be a way to be able to switch between the 2 heaters. Any experience with this?

Thanks
Brian
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 00:11   #2

Boat: TBA
Re: Install 2 water heaters????

Haven't done this myself but i have seen 2 boats with a "Helios solar" hot water system installed, only takes up a small area on the roof, and uses the original tank to stow the heated water, apparently they work well (both owners were more than happy) perhaps other with these installed could chime in???

I don't know exactly how they work but an emil to them might help
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 19:48   #3

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

B_rodwell, I too do not have a gen set and have looked at my heating system as a hot water source. I look forward to the input. Sadly I have no input at this time. Still hooked up to shore power.
Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 04:57   #4

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

we have 2 water-heaters one in each hull, eber 5 kw.
same as you it did not go into the water tank to heat that.
so i changed out the water tank to one bigger 40 liter , and it has el heating 800watts, a line from engine, and a line from water heater.
if you look back a bit on my blogg you will se pictures of it.
Lagoon 380 Careka

i now have hot water when running engine or heating system, and i can also use the inverter and get it heated with el power, while at anchore.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water