Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 02:59   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: WARNING

Of course raise the bar too high, on experiance and paperwork / aggro then the pot of crew gets smaller. or non-existent. Can often "make" folks jump through hoops when there is cash on the end of it - not so much when working for free. Free only ever gets yer so much.

Not included in the list is being willing to offer up pretty much the same about self and boat to crew. Might not need to, but likely would help get decent crew. Of course likely the reason folks often don't is because of the risk that decent crew would jump ship before departure.......after getting to know Skipper and Boat.

Personally I would never take unknown persons for an extended passage without having them onboard first for a few days. Ideally with a sail or 2 as well - but IMO more important that can see first hand that not someone who would need strangling and is at least not a danger to self, others and boat. IMO pretty much anyone can be crew - it's just a question of how useful they are or can become, even 3rd hand on a deck watch has a purpose (to keep the others awake!).
Old 28-04-2013, 03:09   #17

Rivonia that is my normal practice - check my adverts... This time I was an idiot with a big capital I....... Cannot believe this one got through the net and can only blame myself. Unfortunately when we started emailing I recognised his training school and town of origin was similar to mine and all else went out the window!! Glad to see some sensible replies here. Fortunately I have only had 3 bad experiences in the past 30 years of taking on or working as crew! (Thanks to Neptune)

Regards
Seawings
Old 28-04-2013, 03:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Of course raise the bar too high, on experiance and paperwork / aggro then the pot of crew gets smaller. or non-existent. Can often "make" folks jump through hoops when there is cash on the end of it - not so much when working for free. Free only ever gets yer so much.

Not included in the list is being willing to offer up pretty much the same about self and boat to crew. Might not need to, but likely would help get decent crew. Of course likely the reason folks often don't is because of the risk that decent crew would jump ship before departure.......after getting to know Skipper and Boat.

Personally I would never take unknown persons for an extended passage without having them onboard first for a few days. Ideally with a sail or 2 as well - but IMO more important that can see first hand that not someone who would need strangling and is at least not a danger to self, others and boat. IMO pretty much anyone can be crew - it's just a question of how useful they are or can become, even 3rd hand on a deck watch has a purpose (to keep the others awake!).
DOJ it's a fine line to walk when trying to keep the pot at a reasonable level - Like you said - too much paperwork or too many hoops and the crew pot becomes empty so quickly. Fortunately most of my crew ads have a dollar sign attached so I can be choosy but this time I'm sailing for love and not everyone wants to crew for love.... Last season was great though with quite a lot of crewing for love on some of the other vessels on the SoPac routes..... Thanks to Rose - wherever she is now!