Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 21:45   #61

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Things you should know before volunteering

Not threatened in the least, when I was growing up if I perchance asked what was for dinner, I was told "food" either eat it and don't complain, or go to bed hungry. I am not asking anyone to take on my dietary style, nor do I need someone else to convert me to theirs, and I have run into plenty of vegans who deigned to look down their nose at me and lecture to me the error of my ways. I am also not seeking crew members, or to be a crew member. If you are seeking to go aboard someone's vessel, then be ready to adapt to their way of doing things, if you are not flexible enough to do that then continue your search until you find a vessel that matches your temperament and dietary strictures. I am not running a day care for wannabe sailors. I am happy to help out those who wish to learn, no one is born knowing how to be a mariner, and I owe a debt to those who came before me and took the time and had the patience to teach me the vital skills that I have today, I willingly pass on those skills to those who truly wish to learn, I don't have time for dilettantes who are on a lark as long as they aren't inconvenienced too much. Being a mariner is a skill, art, passion, and in some cases a lifelong obsession. I know the way I look at these things probably is off putting to many here, that is okay, that is why they made more than one boat, and more than one kind of boat.
Old 24-03-2016, 05:15   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Not threatened in the least, when I was growing up if I perchance asked what was for dinner, I was told "food" either eat it and don't complain, or go to bed hungry. I am not asking anyone to take on my dietary style, nor do I need someone else to convert me to theirs, and I have run into plenty of vegans who deigned to look down their nose at me and lecture to me the error of my ways. I am also not seeking crew members, or to be a crew member. If you are seeking to go aboard someone's vessel, then be ready to adapt to their way of doing things, if you are not flexible enough to do that then continue your search until you find a vessel that matches your temperament and dietary strictures. I am not running a day care for wannabe sailors. I am happy to help out those who wish to learn, no one is born knowing how to be a mariner, and I owe a debt to those who came before me and took the time and had the patience to teach me the vital skills that I have today, I willingly pass on those skills to those who truly wish to learn, I don't have time for dilettantes who are on a lark as long as they aren't inconvenienced too much. Being a mariner is a skill, art, passion, and in some cases a lifelong obsession. I know the way I look at these things probably is off putting to many here, that is okay, that is why they made more than one boat, and more than one kind of boat.
Was not pointing my comments at you but tried to express that you were actually quite the opposite. Sorry if that didn't come through.

Also agree that there are preachy types in the vegan/vegetarian world as there are in the omnivore world but I believe it's a case of the obnoxious drawing much more attention than the quiet and polite.
Old 24-03-2016, 05:42   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Things you should know before volunteering

If you can't handle a bit of heat.. don't come into my Kitchen..
From time to time I get requests from folk with qualifications that make me seem in the Kindergarten Grade with requests that I help them break into deliveries as that is their Dream Job..
Sorry Folks.. no can do.. just sailing deliveries as crew gains few Kudo's.. if you want to break into it do as I did for years till I pulled my first job.
Spread the word, hand out your 'Sensible Cards' keep the price low and eventually someone will take a chance on you.. after that its all down to you.. and remember..
Folks only ever Remember your Last Delivery.. disaster sticks.. Success is Boring.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 24-03-2016, 10:12   #64

Boat: Skookum 53'

Amen to that boaty, you can perform a flawless docking 1000 times, and nobody says boo, but if you ding the boat one time it's like you were trying to murder someone.
Old 27-03-2016, 19:31   #65

Excellent!!! Prévention is always better !!