Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2013, 11:59   #31
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: TAMPA BAY TO NEW ORLEANS... ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormantx View Post
Try Belle Hatchee marina in Labelle FL, hole in the wall kind of place, they used to haul out only multihulls last time I was there....few years back. Dont have any more info, you will have to call them.

There's also a place on the Indian River, near the east exit of Lake Okeechobee, but I can't imagine how the boat could be gotten there safely. One bridge is only 49' high, requiring many boats to be tipped in order to go through. The channel across the lake is narrow and the winds not guaranteed to be cooperative.

Still would like to know if that boat could be pushed by outboards. If it can, that might be an option for Okeechobee to get to the other coast.
Old 19-04-2013, 19:42   #32

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Pittmans in tarpon just hauled our friends voyage, 24' beam. They used a crane and bridal setup. Worked flawlessly.
Old 19-04-2013, 19:57   #33

Boat: 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI

It won't happen! I am familiar the obstacles you have to negotiate - and it just ain't gonna happen without a motor. Get at least one motor fixed in Tampa first.
Old 19-04-2013, 20:40   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Pittmans in tarpon just hauled our friends voyage, 24' beam. They used a crane and bridal setup. Worked flawlessly.
Tarpon Springs isn't that far, but tricky to get into. Outboards? Will they work???
Old 19-04-2013, 20:41   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Tarpon Springs isn't that far, but tricky to get into. Outboards? Will they work???

And will Pittman's let him work on the boat himself? I think that's one of the goals.
Old 19-04-2013, 20:59   #36

Well, I don't know about Pittman's or the Tampa yards, but OP has had three people from New Orleans come into this thread to tell him it is a bad idea to attempt to make it there without power. I know that really sucks, but I'd rather see him make it to where ever it is he is going safely.
Old 20-04-2013, 02:42   #37

Quote:

And will Pittman's let him work on the boat himself? I think that's one of the goals.
They do but closed weekends
Old 20-04-2013, 04:59   #38
cruiser

Quote:
They do but closed weekends

Don't know if it's part of his agenda, but can he live on the boat there? I did that once in a boat yard. Interesting experience, not lining up to repeat it although I'm sure the day will come when I will again.
Old 20-04-2013, 05:26   #39

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
If your dingy has enough motor, you could make the bridges in Lake Ponchatrain ok, but thats not your only problem, the winds on the lake can be fluky, and often blow the wrong way for what ya want to do! And if your going up the ICW to your yard, then you really got a BIG problem. And why the heck are ya going all that way? theres at least 10 yards you could use long before ya ever even get close to NOLA. I sure would try moveing your boat with your dink before ya take off on this trip! The gulf and the approchs to the all the harbors along the way are a bunch trickier then sailing across open water !!
^^+1^^ That's the bottom line. IMHO you will be much better off getting work done in Florida, one way or another.
Old 20-04-2013, 06:31   #40

Quote:

Don't know if it's part of his agenda, but can he live on the boat there? I did that once in a boat yard. Interesting experience, not lining up to repeat it although I'm sure the day will come when I will again.
Not really sure, probably but it might get hot if he cant run the ac
Old 20-04-2013, 06:49   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Not really sure, probably but it might get hot if he cant run the ac

I live in the area. It's getting hot during the day -- maybe he can work on the shady side of the boat? It's not hot at night yet, though. In the summer here along the coast it rarely goes below 80, and that's only for 15 minutes at 4AM. But at this time of year, a windscoop and a fan does quite well (when I lived on the hard they did give me an extension cord. I had very little power, but enough for a fan, although it was winter and 45 and I didn't need it ...)
Old 20-04-2013, 09:21   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:

Used to keep my boat in Tarpon Springs. Once you get to the protected waters of the river mouth OB power should be fine. In stettled conditions could use OB and/or dink on hip to make the entrance from the Gulf. Also plenty of options for arranging a tow there. No commercial traffic so losing power at a bad time is not going to get you killed (like it could in the oilpatch).
Old 20-04-2013, 09:51   #43
cruiser

Re: Tampa Bay to New Orleans... ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Used to keep my boat in Tarpon Springs. Once you get to the protected waters of the river mouth OB power should be fine. In stettled conditions could use OB and/or dink on hip to make the entrance from the Gulf. Also plenty of options for arranging a tow there. No commercial traffic so losing power at a bad time is not going to get you killed (like it could in the oilpatch).

It just looks like such a better choice to me. I agree, pick your window and an outboard (or two if needed) could get him in there. It does take some sterring, but not awful. Still wouldn't want to count on sailing in. The yard may be closed on weekends, but if he's living on his boat, what's to keep him from doing his thing on Saturday and Sunday?
Old 20-04-2013, 09:52   #44

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Another thing about going to Tarpon Springs is maybe you could get another cruiser to buddy boat with you up there, just in case you need a tow for a bit.
Old 20-04-2013, 10:31   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Another thing about going to Tarpon Springs is maybe you could get another cruiser to buddy boat with you up there, just in case you need a tow for a bit.

My "buddy boat" is Towboat US. They've done it before.

In fact, that would be the ideal solution. Get Towboat. Sail to outside Tarpon Springs. Get towed in.