Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2016, 13:38   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Single White Female seeking ADVENTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Gee cut the OP some slack! Nothing really wrong with her post and there is no reason for it to bring out the creepiness in some people.
Absolutely agree.

This forum turns into a pack of hyenas as soon as crew posts come up.

Grow a brain and let the OP post.
Old 20-01-2016, 13:40   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Oh get off your high horse, we're just being friendly
You have an interesting take on high horses and friendliness. Maybe it is an Aussie lost in translation thing (sorry to the other Aussies).
Old 20-01-2016, 14:04   #18

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveySailor View Post
Experienced small sailboat sailor looking for BIG adventures. Would like to get paid to crew for any amount of time available. Deckhand/First Mate/Stewardess - will do it all! Experienced in tender driving and Certified Advanced Open Water Diver as well. Very handy, helpful, organized, clean, eager and easy to get along with - however; the Captain is ALWAYS right
As for a CV application, please:
- show reliability and Results, not over enthusiasm and aspirational dreams
- don't be flat on your back, a Captain can be just miserable...show independent judgment, not blind fellowship
- please do not mention your ability to drive dinghies, unless you are a racer thereof, as even minors can operate them...
- maybe, show them that you can clean a carburettor, or change a propeller....or clean bilges !!

As you pretend a pay, please show being worth your accommodation and food first, and, if on a small cruiser, demonstrate to have culture and interests in order to stand a lively conversation..

Propensity to smoke/alcohol should be stressed, and the seas/ponds where you have been sailing/pottering.

Regards, be at your best
Old 20-01-2016, 14:17   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
So picky. You didn't even ask for pictures first. She could be the one to change your view on the world, teach you a thing or two, and you didn't even give it a chance.

Instead of colour can we get dimensions?

The VERY BRAVE Lady has posted her picture on her profile
Old 20-01-2016, 14:43   #20

If you can meet us in the Canary Islands by March first, contact off CF.
Old 20-01-2016, 14:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
My first post here, I have minimal sailing experience, your comment about the Captain is always right could get you killed. As a professional pilot, I can offer you this advise, don't let an incompetent Captain lead you to the point of no return, as a crewmember, you may need to be assertive if he/she becomes incapacitated. If you have minimal sailing experience I would just say be careful on who you choose to crew with. I like your enthusiasm, just keep your cards a little closer to your chest...

meatservo
I agree with meatservo, you need to be cautious about who you go sailing with, especially if you have minimal experience. Depending where you are, just hanging out in marinas or yacht clubs could put you in touch with the right sort of people. Good luck..!
Old 20-01-2016, 15:01   #22

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
... looking for an Adventuress with LOTSACASH and who looks good in a Bikini too
If life has clearly demonstrated nothing else, it is that those two attributes are mutually exclusive (my Zen-ish takeaway: be happy if life offers a sailor either one).

In any case, Welcome to CF, 'LoveySailor'. You might discover the challenge in finding compensated positions vs. the considerably more interesting opportunities found in volunteer crew positions. Perhaps give thought to managing to work a tolerable land baed job to then set aside enough to crew without requiring compensation. You'll have a lot more adventurous sailing to choose from.

And my personal experience endorses the comments about interviewing your prospective skipper, at least you'll better know and be prepared what you're getting into.
Old 20-01-2016, 15:08   #23

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Absolutely agree.

This forum turns into a pack of hyenas as soon as crew posts come up.

Grow a brain and let the OP post.
I'd give ya a "Like", but the cheap Admin's over here ain't got none...carry on
Old 20-01-2016, 15:30   #24

Boat: Mirage 35

Lovely,

I admit that I had the same first reaction as most of the others - something in the wording of the post. When I saw that you had actually posted a profile picture you went up in my esteem, and some more profile information would help even more - my view is that someone who goes to that much trouble might be serious.

From reading quite a few, I've developed some opinions of what might or might not work for "crew available" postings (my own will go up in a couple of months; no point right now because I'm looking for local and the water here's all frozen). If you - or anyone else reading - would like to benefit from my opinions I would be happy to share them at no charge.

Note that this is based on no actual experience with results from this forum, but a lot of experience in hiring and in applying for jobs, and some understanding of marketing. The folks with clear communications get ahead.

(No, this isn't facetious. I've got time on my hands and if I could help a potential sailor or two connect with an opportunity it would be time well spent.)

Tags
single