Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 09:31   #16

Boat: Beneteau First, 345
Re: Leisurely sail down the east coast from Newport, RI to Florida, August 2013

SailorKeddy, is this a "straight shot" trip? or will you be stopping off along the way?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasata View Post
SailorKeddy, is this a "straight shot" trip? or will you be stopping off along the way?
I'm not owner. or captain but if going along it would depend on hurricane activity is the north atlantic . one day at a time.
Old 09-07-2013, 19:43   #18

Boat: Endeavour 43, Contour 34sc, J/35, Hobie 33, Helms 30, Hobie 18 and Hobie Holder

come down the st johns river and see old florida! its worth checking out!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:30   #19

Hi, I am available for this trip and would love more information. deborah
Old 10-07-2013, 07:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWERTON76 View Post
come down the st johns river and see old florida! its worth checking out!
Dido on that, Ocala national forrest, to lake Monroe beautiful and much of it still unspoiled.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:11   #21

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40

What a coincidence. I am purchasing a Condor 40 in MA this weekend with plans to travel south in September. I'm curious about the comments regarding hurricane season, don't all the snow birds make this trip in the height of hurricane season. What other time makes more sense? How late in the season is practical before the weather gets snotty.
Old 10-07-2013, 14:01   #22
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Hawaii View Post
What a coincidence. I am purchasing a Condor 40 in MA this weekend with plans to travel south in September. I'm curious about the comments regarding hurricane season, don't all the snow birds make this trip in the height of hurricane season. What other time makes more sense? How late in the season is practical before the weather gets snotty.
I would not even try it till after or before the season,its not that you cant run into port, but the marinas are full when i hurricane is in the area. just look at the weather now, and this guy wants to be in the thick of it. just stay up North in your spot till after November OR Before June.
The East coast south is a bad place to be this time of year.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah964 View Post
Hurricanes can form very fast off the coast or in the Gulf of Mexico, and impact the east coast with in days or even hrs.You and everyone else will be wanting to haul out, or maybe you have a uncle in charge of all the marinas from RI, to FL, who will gladly put you up first. hey what do i know.
Revolving storms (hurricanes, cyclones, typhoons etc.) actually form either side of the Equator (to produce a hurricane, cyclone etc., a low-pressure area must be more than 5 degrees of latitude north or south of the equator. Hurricanes seldom occur closer to the equator) over a warm ocean with little wind shear.

They rarely (if ever?) form off the coast of the USA or in the Gulf of Mexico and, while winds generated by a Hurricane have to be in the 70's to be classified as such, the body of the hurricane moves at a more sedentary 20-30kns!
Old 11-07-2013, 13:06   #24
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDB View Post
Revolving storms (hurricanes, cyclones, typhoons etc.) actually form either side of the Equator (to produce a hurricane, cyclone etc., a low-pressure area must be more than 5 degrees of latitude north or south of the equator. Hurricanes seldom occur closer to the equator) over a warm ocean with little wind shear.

They rarely (if ever?) form off the coast of the USA or in the Gulf of Mexico and, while winds generated by a Hurricane have to be in the 70's to be classified as such, the body of the hurricane moves at a more sedentary 20-30kns!
I have lived in Florida all my life they move into the Gulf Very fast. I have been in many storms TS, Hurricanes, TD can be bad also and can sink your boat.I have seen storms form in the Gulf many times.
They gain circulation South and form in the gulf.
Old 11-07-2013, 13:28   #25

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah964 View Post
Hurricanes can form very fast off the coast or in the Gulf of Mexico, and impact the east coast with in days or even hrs.You and everyone else will be wanting to haul out, or maybe you have a uncle in charge of all the marinas from RI, to FL, who will gladly put you up first. hey what do i know.

Old 11-07-2013, 15:47   #26

For the avoidance of doubt, I did say that they "rarely" formed in the Gulf of Mexico and not that they never formed there. NOAA/NHC data confirms that the vast majority of Hurricanes originate to the East and South of the Gulf - take a look at Tropical Cyclone Climatology.

Data on the same site also confirms that they move at fairly slow rates compared to the winds they produce!

Obviously, conversely, winds can be generated at hurricane force without a named storm being present and these systems, which aren't hurricanes, can generate quickly.

Either way, it's of little interest to a mariner whether or not he's being hit by an actual revolving storm or not if the wind is blowing at 70+ knots and knocking him and his boat to hell and back so much of this is purely academic to the cruising sailor!!
Old 12-07-2013, 13:45   #27

Hi,
I am very interested in this trip and available immediately. This sounds like a perfect trip for me, I am currently on the east coast. I have been racing for 10 years and love to sail. Oh, and I am also an excellent cook! Any additional questions or information needed please contact me. Thanks, deborah
Old 13-07-2013, 04:40   #28

Hey there,

I'm a 22 year old male. Just graduated from college in Philadelphia this past May, so I figure that now is the perfect time for me to get out in the world. While I don't have any experience sailing, I am very interested in learning. Your post in particular peaked my interest because your plan to sail the eastern coast of the US seems like a good first trip for me to build some experience.

I have a laid back personality and am quite easy to get along with. I am a good listener and can be very dedicated and hard-working too, so you won't have to worry about me slacking or anything like that. I have no problem with splitting the cost of food either.
I am very willing and eager to learn how to sail. I hope that you contact me with more information about the trip!

-Travis
Old 21-07-2013, 14:12   #29

Hello!

I am 24 and have been sailing my whole life, very comfortable on boats. Although I have not done many long trips, this sounds great!
I live right in Newport, RI. Hope to hear from you!
Old 01-08-2013, 18:07   #30

Boat: Searay, runabout, 21'

Sounds like a great trip. I hope you have room for one more from the Carolinas south. Any segment lasting from a few days to a week would be great. I'm easy going and have plenty of vacation time built up that I want to use sailing the days away. My only experience is on Hobie 14 and 16 cats and small runabouts on local lakes and the icw. If you let me join your crew the learning experience will be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to stand watches, wash dishes, or walk the plank. I have no issues. I can get to and from the dock, pay my share of expenses, no drugs or smoking, light social drinking, no health issues. Will you please consider me. Call 704 791 2710 or e-mail abwhitley@carolina.rr.com
Thank you,
Bobby

Tags
florida, newport, sail