Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 11:25   #1

Boat: Allied Seawind 30
Leisurely sail down the east coast from Newport, RI to Florida, August 2013

Hello!

I am the owner of a 30' Allied Seawind ketch and would like a hand taking her south later on this summer. I have spent the past year refitting and upgrading her to be the seaworthy vessel to make this trip. As far as my qualifications go, I have over 8,000 nautical miles at sea (about half offshore), my 50 ton, Master captains license and experience in all types of vessels from dinghys to 100' classic sailing yachts and everything in between.

Although preferred, experience is not necessary, just a willingness to learn and follow direction. We will start in Newport, RI, head down Long Island sound to New York, then sail down to Norfolk, VA with a possible stopover in Cape May, NJ. From there we will motor for a few days on the ICW before heading back out into the Atlantic and shooting for Florida. We will most always be within sight of land, not push ourselves or the boat too hard, and sail to the weather, not a schedule! You (and maybe a friend or two) would be more than welcome to join for any part of the trip. I will pay all boat expenses such as fuel, repairs, any dock/mooring fees, etc, I only ask that we split food costs equally.

Please send me a message if you are interested in joining or have any questions, thanks!
Old 03-06-2013, 13:21   #2

Re: Leisurely sail down the east coast from Newport, RI to Florida, August 2013

Hi,
I have over 2000 sea miles, 20 yrs on the Chesapeake, teach into sailing on the Potomac and I've done Newport to Annapolis (TP 52), NYC to Annapolis (Jeanneau43) and both raced and cruised in New Zealand as well as the Chesapeake. I would be particularly interested in joining you from Annapolis to FL, perhaps bringing a less experienced but suitable friend.
We'd be happy to cover our direct expenses, including food aboard if we all like the arrangement.
Hope to hear back from you.
Regards,
John
Old 03-06-2013, 13:31   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

You really might want to think this through one more time. Unless you plan on dallying in Long Island Sound or perhaps going up the Hudson, you will be heading through the Outer Banks and into serious hurricane country in the height of hurricane season.....
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 03-06-2013, 14:58   #4

Fully aware of that, thank you. If a hurricane threatens, the boat will be hauled out or taken to a place less affected by storm surge in plenty of time. Myself and crew will be high and dry inland!

Ive done this trip before, a few times actually, and leaving the northeast even in the first week of October leaves you vulnerable to gales that will have you held up for three days for every one of decent sailing weather. This can rush your trip south and have you impatiently making moves with the weather still iffy.
Old 03-06-2013, 15:01   #5

and @annapolis.sail...sounds like you and your friend would be great to sail with! I should be in Norfolk by the last week in August. Please contact me by email and we can keep in touch.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:28   #6

i can help i am capable of sailing call me and we can discuss Howard 6054680176 I will be available
Old 09-06-2013, 05:55   #7

Ageed when a window of several good days become available offshore Montuak toward cape May if still clear Norfolk. ICW Moorhead city to Jacksonvill at sea next good window, done it many times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKeddy View Post
Fully aware of that, thank you. If a hurricane threatens, the boat will be hauled out or taken to a place less affected by storm surge in plenty of time. Myself and crew will be high and dry inland!

Ive done this trip before, a few times actually, and leaving the northeast even in the first week of October leaves you vulnerable to gales that will have you held up for three days for every one of decent sailing weather. This can rush your trip south and have you impatiently making moves with the weather still iffy.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:34   #8
ori

I'm interested in joining you. My girlfriend and I live in boston, late 20s, and quitting our jobs in august to go travel for a while. We have been sailing together in boston harbor and around cape cod for the last 3 years on pearson 31s up to pearson 36s and looking to get more cruising experience. We are both good cooks as well. I have also completed a masters bareboat 40 course.
please contact me if interested (781)7382163.
Old 17-06-2013, 14:26   #9

Ditto that one. August and the big winds. Lost good men on this trip going from the other end north.
Hey there matee. Wondering bouts yer passage to the land unknown. Be it far from me bones to travel by yer star, as I have passed it onest er twice me self and onest not at all be it big monster that took us down.

Rest the souls of merry men to travel down the sea, yet we find the brightest star and wish upon the dream. Shall it be a tail to tell the wind that swept cross the blue, filled the dreams and drowned a few.

May ye find yer and way clear and true with a friend to spell you off a few. Txflyguy40@aol.com
Old 27-06-2013, 17:15   #10

I'd love to join you for your trip. How do I make that happen?
Old 30-06-2013, 19:25   #11
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

Anyone who wants to do this trip then, don't know boating/sailing
Old 30-06-2013, 19:34   #12
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKeddy View Post

Hurricanes can form very fast off the coast or in the Gulf of Mexico, and impact the east coast with in days or even hrs.You and everyone else will be wanting to haul out, or maybe you have a uncle in charge of all the marinas from RI, to FL, who will gladly put you up first. hey what do i know.
Old 01-07-2013, 13:26   #13

Sounds like a great trip. I'm retired military with lots of free time. I took up sailing about 5 years ago, and have taken the ASA courses through their 104 (Bareboat) certification. I have worked on several boat relocations, and have stood night watches in poor weather. I'm 65 years old, but am in good health. Most of my sailing has been on the Chesapeake and the Pamlico - no blue water experience, but I'm looking to gain some. Contact me, if you still need crew, at moorebrucem(at)earthlink(dot)net.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17   #14

Hello,
I'm interested in your crew opportunity in November.

I'm a fit 50 yr. old with limited sailing experience that includes bareboat (50ft Benneteau) in the BVI's, ownership and use of a 22ft drop-keel Santana on New England lake, ASA 104 certification (acquired in BVI's), and finally membership at local New England sailing club.

David

you can reach me at beckerand at yahoo dot com
Old 09-07-2013, 07:15   #15

Hi there,

I currently live in NYC. I hadn't been on this site in a while and decided to hop on looking for an adventure. Although I have no sailing experience, I'm a dedicated, fast learner. I would love the opportunity to join y'all.

Please consider-
Good vibes,
Melinda

Tags
florida, newport, sail