Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2011, 14:26   #1

How Hard Is it to Find a Ride on a Boat ?

Hi,

I'm new in this forum and I have a question.

I'm 30yo male, doctor in chemistry, with 5 years of sailing and racing on different boat (laser to Catalina38). I have 2 years ahead of me with small saving for sailing any where in the world. I'm easy going, relax, serious, good sense of humor, fast learner and fully motivated for new experiences. I'm also a windsurfer, kitesurfer and surfer.

I saw so many "crew wanted" and "crew available" that I do not know how hard is to find a ride on boat?

I send some request but no one get back to me. What I should say to have a answer and find a ride?

Thanks for your answer and help.
Old 16-08-2011, 14:45   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Re: How hard is to find a ride on boat?

Mention you will help pay expenses...

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
Old 16-08-2011, 14:50   #3

Just my $0.02:

On a delivery or charter I need someone I can trust and work with. My personal relationship with them and their personality is more important than their skills. You can teach someone skills, you can't teach them to not be inappropriate or foul mouthed around clients. It's a big risk to take someone you don't know on an offshore passage.

I bring a lady friend of mine (my wife's good friend) and I joke with her that I bring her because after a few days at sea I don't want to kill her, and even if she wants to kill me I'm much bigger than she is so I feel safe. Kind of corny, but how much I get along with someone matters so much it's hard to over-emphasize it. Even if they don't know beans, simple instructions that you know will be executed while you're sleeping is critical. Again, you can teach the basics to someone in a few hours to cover typical benign conditions.

I'd vote for working your personal relationships or otherwise building them. Be available for anything, work hard, don't look/act like a bum (so many people on the water do), and just be the kind of person that you think others want to go to sea with.
Old 16-08-2011, 14:57   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves View Post
I'm 30yo male, doctor in chemistry, with 5 years of sailing and racing on different boat (laser to Catalina38).
There are some great yacht clubs in MDR. At your age, many will offer an inexpensive "corinthian" membership, or crew memberships. Start with the beer cans, move to the club races, and within a few months, if you're any good, you'll have all sorts of opportunities, both in the cruising and racing worlds.
Old 16-08-2011, 15:15   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Moving and maintenance

The areas that I would like to find someone to help me with are short trips and maintenance.

Most times my wife is fine as crew, however she works and its a big boat so I can't use the boat during the week. Those time that the boat needs to go from point A to point B I have to wait till she's free.

Boats have never ending maintenance and as the owner its all up to me. Paying yard workers is expensive.

So the two comments that would make me sit up and take notice are "Will help with short trips, call anytime." and "I like to help with maintenance.".

But I'm day dreaming here ...
Old 16-08-2011, 15:21   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if ye hitch a ride to mazatlan and wanna sail in a heavy displacement ketch, there is a share the sail adventure here to panama..... will leave in nov or so for panama then canal and caribean.
Old 16-08-2011, 15:25   #7

making contacts can never be overlooked.

for landlubbers and sailors alike... charisma, positive attitude, dependability... attributes like that are worth their weight in certifications and degrees.

probably the best thing to do is post an introduction in the meet'n'greets forum and crew forum. once you've put yourself out there, start looking for topics to get involved in. the more you contribute and interact with the other members, the more people are going to get to know you.

you already seem to have a good amount of experience too, which gives you a leg up. the crew forum is made up of both experienced sailors and total beginners and all the greyness in between.

oh and before Gord beats me to it.. Welcome to CF!!
Old 16-08-2011, 15:29   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

oops pardon my bad manners--welcome to cf.....
Old 16-08-2011, 17:12   #9

welcome