Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2012, 20:21   #121

I have a friend there, and a lot of people I know who lived in st John and they never mentioned the problems with the mean animals.... I asked them about it and they seemed unaware of what
I was even talking about. Does anyone live there and have a dog on the island? Opinions?
Old 30-06-2012, 22:49   #122
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: 50ft yacht
Re: 2 girls need a one-way to virgin islands!

Hey this has got to be one of the best/funniest posts in a long time, just when l thought cruisers forum was getting a bit ho hum. Reminds me of the time when returning from a yacht race in Indonesia and anchored at Ashmore Reef we met up with a couple, their young teenage son, two female backpackers and a monkey, all on a 34fter. Not sure about the virgin thing tho, after an all night drinking session one of the girls went back to their boat, fell asleep in the skippers bunk and promptly wet herself. From the noise coming from that boat l gathered that monkeys were easier to train. Give the girls a break at least they want to DO something. Might be easier without the dog tho.
Old 30-06-2012, 23:27   #123

Boat: beneteau M352, 35 feet

Well, I think we have to help this two pure girls and the dog. Buat what kind dog is that that weigh 80 pounds, it must be a big one, gand danish..? The dog need a cabin for itself.? My boat have only two cabins..! so it may be a litlle tight inside.!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:48   #124

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

St John is a different story than St Thomas or St Croix. I spend a month or so each year in Coral Bay, (on my boat). Old white hippies on St John, dog friendly.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:59   #125

Boat: private yacht always moving

Well, I think we have to help this two pure girls

I dont remember them saying they were pure?????

as for the BVI,,,been there many times, found lots of crime, would not walk around late at night without someone else.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:04   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith View Post
St John is a different story than St Thomas or St Croix. I spend a month or so each year in Coral Bay, (on my boat). Old white hippies on St John, dog friendly.
No strays in St. John, but dogs even leashed are not allowed ont he beaches, except at the Westin and then they have be less than 40 pounds. People may be dog friendly but the beaches are not.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:04   #127

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
Well, I think we have to help this two pure girls

I dont remember them saying they were pure?????

as for the BVI,,,been there many times, found lots of crime, would not walk around late at night without someone else.

And which BVI have you been to? I've lived here for 20 years and, yes, there is crime, but compared to USVI its nothing!

As for dogs, just in our local news last week another spate of dog-poisoning has re-appeared (BVI only - NOT USVI). This, unfortunately comes and goes but it is true to say that the average West Indian has an uncaring attitude towards pets in general.

Interestingly enough, last year I took a girl and a large-ish dog from USVI (St Thomas) to Florida. The poor dog took 3 days to acclimatise: being house-trained, it was incredibly difficult to make her realise that it was ok to pee and crap on the deck (we carried a fake grass mat - astroturf, I think it was - which didn't really work as planned!)

Just yesterday, during a layover in St Thomas during my flight home from my Australian delivery, I was talking to an American lady who has lived and worked in St Thomas for the last 20 years. She has a dog with severe hip dysplasia and was saying how excellent the local vet was......T
Old 01-07-2012, 08:18   #128

Boat: Newport 27 S-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicrene View Post
Then again, it might be the absense of couch surving and the fact that I have had to work and live in some of the most dangerous places in the world. These girls may not be a problem, but I have certainly learned to trust my instinct. And under the best of conditions, they would not board my boat.

The witchdoctor
Nah. Pretty sure sittin' around a computer speculating on the various criminal activities these ladies are caught up in is purely couch surfing...
Old 01-07-2012, 08:31   #129

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
And which BVI have you been to? I've lived here for 20 years and, yes, there is crime, but compared to USVI its nothing!

As for dogs, just in our local news last week another spate of dog-poisoning has re-appeared (BVI only - NOT USVI). This, unfortunately comes and goes but it is true to say that the average West Indian has an uncaring attitude towards pets in general.

Interestingly enough, last year I took a girl and a large-ish dog from USVI (St Thomas) to Florida. The poor dog took 3 days to acclimatise: being house-trained, it was incredibly difficult to make her realise that it was ok to pee and crap on the deck (we carried a fake grass mat - astroturf, I think it was - which didn't really work as planned!)

Just yesterday, during a layover in St Thomas during my flight home from my Australian delivery, I was talking to an American lady who has lived and worked in St Thomas for the last 20 years. She has a dog with severe hip dysplasia and was saying how excellent the local vet was......T

I meant USVI not BVI. my bad. been to the USVI may times and did not feel that safe. as times I felt safer in south miami then there. For safety the marinas were telling crew members to go from the boat to the taxi to the bar, then to the taxi and then the boat. do not wander at night.
Old 01-07-2012, 17:05   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll
wasn't me that came up with that variation!

twas ex-calif! i wasn't that brave
Or that dumb? LOL...

Hey, it's the internet. I wouldn't doubt there a PMs flying back and forth and someone making a deal.
Old 01-07-2012, 18:05   #131
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post

T

I once sailed with a dog who absolutely refused to relieve himself aboard. After three days I was sure he would die, and we detoured substantially to return him to land. He survived, but it was traumatic. This was on a small boat in the foolish days of my youth, never again would I set off without a substantial period of acclimitization. I will never forget holding the poor dogs leg up as we massaged his belly in an effort to get him to pee, it sucked. Kinda funny now, though!
Old 01-07-2012, 20:29   #132

Ladies, not to poop on your parade but to but you need to understand what you are comtemplating. A lot of folks have given advice on the sailing/season BUT hitchhiking is dangerous. You probably will not find a couple or family willing to take you it will more likely be a single guy or guys. You will be a long way from any protection from any law enforcement. It would be very easy to find your dog tossed overboard and you raped or dead. Are your lives worth it?
Old 01-07-2012, 21:40   #133

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

that is over the top, but i have tried to warn , it is a place that can be . and is .. dangerous.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:25   #134

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

WE have a scottish terrier who sails with us. When she is on the boat we only coastal sail and no more than 8 hours - 10 at absolute maximum. Scotty is very well trained (read housebroken) and will not pee or crap on the deck.

Your dog - assuming it is housebroken will have the same problem. If you are not careful it will kill him. A burst bladder is not a fun way to die and the dog deserves better.

So pack this idea in and fly him down

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 02-07-2012, 05:27   #135
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish

WOW..... I wouldn't go so far as o tell them they are going to be molested etc. Everyone has some common sense... If the boat looks like crap, and is a mess and the guy looks and acts shady.. Don't go..

On another note.. I don't know anyone who would take you sight unseen.... U know, 400 tattoo's piercings, or looking like a circus freak, extremely overweight would not be much help on a small boat.. Got all your arms and legs.. Any medical problems etc.. Post pictures of you 2 and amp this post up a little.. We've already seen the dog...LOL..

And speaking of dogs.. I grew up on a lot of different boats w/ my parents, brother and 2 sisters.. AND 2 Black Labs... We used to have to row them ashore 2 -3 times a day to pee and get exercise.. Didn't really have any problems w/ them.. They learned to pee / poop on the stern when needed... Of course we weren't at sea all the time and they had time to acclimate before sailing to the Bahamas etc.