Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2012, 12:03   #46

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, just a little annoying and pessimistic to hear. I'm sure others can understand. I am thankful for the info and the encouragement and any other ideas! Still looking for that ride haha
Old 27-06-2012, 12:08   #47

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: 2 girls need a one-way to virgin islands!

Funny how people have ...thought... that 2 girls and a dog could be smugglers

then in a different thread

there were men coming to the boat with ak 47's and ski masks and the captain ...thought... they would be friendly, turns out the ak carrying ski mask wearing people were friendly wanting cigs and booze.

why would we assume that 2 girls and a dog have bad intentions and not a ski mask wearing ak 47 carrying man in a small skiff has good intentions? I'm being serious here.

I have a dog and other than sailing with her on my boat, I would not want to get her to the island. small crate and a (probably) loud cargo area.

http://www.paloaltohumane.org/educat...safe_skies.pdf
From the article in the link above
"Delta Air Lines, for example, was recently fined after 32
puppies died and numerous other animals, both cats and
dogs, were injured when they “were placed in cargo space
that did not have a supply of air sufficient for normal
breathing,” according to the USDA. The animals suffered
from oxygen deprivation."
Old 27-06-2012, 12:11   #48

Exactly. Thank u for understanding my fear of taking him flying. He's a great, calm dog, I just would never want to put him through that. May have to just figure out a way to buy a boat haha (oh god...)
Old 27-06-2012, 12:15   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheabutta View Post
Exactly. Thank u for understanding my fear of taking him flying. He's a great, calm dog, I just would never want to put him through that. May have to just figure out a way to buy a boat haha (oh god...)
Dogs are shipped all the time; think dog shows. What was described is an extreme circumstance, and frankly, more boats go down then dogs die in airplanes.

You really need to reconsider your time frame. I concur, I would not go with any skipper who thought it was wise to sail that route during hurricane season. It would be stupidity beyond belief.

Set your date to leave after November 1. And really think of a different way to get your dog down, because no one will take a strange 80 lb dog on a sailboat, especially if the dog is not used to sailing.
Old 27-06-2012, 12:18   #50
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Your fear of taking the dog flying??

Shea, I don't know how to tell you this but on real airlines, dogs can fly in the passenger cabin. yes, you may have to buy one or even three seats for them, depending on size. And yes, there are limits to the number of dogs allowed in the cabin so you have to reserve ahead. But dogs do not have to fly with the luggage, and the luggage does not have to be unpressurized, and in October the weather is generally moderate enough so there's no problem even if they do.

You ask your vet for a doggie sedative, drug bowser, spend a couple of hours on the place with him/her. That's going to be WAY less traumatic for the dog than being cooped up on a boat, with no place to pee, and all that rocking and rolling and heaven help you if there's a storm as October is still hurricane season.

Couple of hours in a strange environment, versus more than a week in one equally strange.

To me, the math says fly the dog. Unless you've got one of the few breeds that is considered too big to fly except as air cargo. They're not gonna be much fun on a boat, either.
Old 27-06-2012, 12:34   #51

Boat: Seaward 22

my dog flew from tx to nc in cargo....no problems. hellosailor made a good point. a 6hr drugged cargo experience would be easier on the dog than a 10day to 2wk sail...much of it to windward.
Old 27-06-2012, 12:40   #52

Boat: Leopard 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Shea, I don't know how to tell you this but on real airlines, dogs can fly in the passenger cabin. yes, you may have to buy one or even three seats for them, depending on size. And yes, there are limits to the number of dogs allowed in the cabin so you have to reserve ahead. But dogs do not have to fly with the luggage, and the luggage does not have to be unpressurized, ....
This information is not accurate. I have shipped several large dogs on multiple airlines for a number of years. Pets can be passengers in the airplane cabin only if they remain in their container and the container fits under the seat.
FAA Rules: Pets in the Passenger Cabin

Delta: Pet Travel Options

AA: American Airlines Offers Tips For Traveling With Children Or Pets On AA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

You ask your vet for a doggie sedative, drug bowser, spend a couple of hours on the place with him/her. That's going to be WAY less traumatic for the dog than being cooped up on a boat, with no place to pee, and all that rocking and rolling and heaven help you if there's a storm as October is still hurricane season.

Couple of hours in a strange environment, versus more than a week in one equally strange.

To me, the math says fly the dog. Unless you've got one of the few breeds that is considered too big to fly except as air cargo. They're not gonna be much fun on a boat, either.
The rest of this advice is spot on. Get a sedative from your vet and fly the dog in cargo. Or, better yet, give your dog to a loving family in your area.
Old 27-06-2012, 12:40   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish

FYI.... One of the easiest ways to get your dog to go wherever you can go is to get the animal certified as a "Service Dog".... Google it.. If you were a Veteran, or handicapped in some way it would be a no brainier... But these days almost anyone can have a service dog... Then getting him/her on the airplane would not be a problem at all...
Old 27-06-2012, 12:55   #54
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheabutta View Post
Still looking for that ride haha
Do yourselves a favor: run away from any recreational boater lonely enough to take two non-sailors with suitcases and an 80-pound dog on a one-way voyage through the heart of the Caribbean during hurricane season.
Old 27-06-2012, 13:10   #55

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNLandLoc View Post
Can you ship children in cages in cargo.
Old 27-06-2012, 13:21   #56

I have sympathy for the girls.

I will be diving in Mexico with the whale sharks in August (have to do it when the sharks school in late summer) and am not looking forward to flying to Cancun. I will be taking an expensive under water camera housing, port, lens and camera, and gooey stuff to keep everything from fogging up. Don't want to put in a suitcase, and am worried about fitting it into carry on.

Say what you want about a boat trip in October, but I would rather sail in October than August. There use to be a ferry from Tampa to the Yucatan but no more. I have not been able to find a boat that takes passengers there unless it is one of those cruise boats. Seems like there should be some way to get to these places besides flying.
Old 27-06-2012, 14:04   #57
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

What's wrong with booking a cruise and stepping off? You might even step back on later when you want to go back!

cheers,
Nick.
Old 27-06-2012, 14:10   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
What's wrong with booking a cruise and stepping off? You might even step back on later when you want to go back!

cheers,
Nick.
I have already booked a flight and will be picked up at the airport by the group. But I do wonder why you can't get passage on a boat from Florida to points South as opposed to a cruise boat.
Old 27-06-2012, 14:25   #59
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I have already booked a flight and will be picked up at the airport by the group. But I do wonder why you can't get passage on a boat from Florida to points South as opposed to a cruise boat.
You can book passage on many freighters... in fact, they are more expensive than cruise ships!! I tried to book Panama <> Holland and couldn't get on because they are fully booked for a year or more.. their complete trip goes on all the way to New Zealand I believe and is very popular.

I'm pretty sure you can book passage on a freighter from say Miami to Fajardo and then take the ferry from there.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 27-06-2012, 14:30   #60

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

whats wrong with everybody??? Do we really live in such a bad society where we have to doubt everything without asking questions first?
My Dobe weighs 95 pounds and my aussie 65 and damn then fit on the boat..Nov would be a better month..

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"